Rattle snakes ???

knightfisher

Guest cplummer

And saying that parents bring animals home and

forgeting them is a generalization. How many parents do you know personally

that do this, 20,50,100 ?

I think it is very very few parents that let children bring criters home.

my daughter brought home a criter from the wild.. she's STILL dating him.

but seriously.. i have seen a total of 2 rattlers near the whirlpool in the past 30 years... And i totally agree with canadadude regarding leaving the wild where it belongs.. in the wild!!!!

cliff...

Guest FisherNick

Big Chute (sp) marine railway is another hot spot for them.

They have signs up advising visitors to watch their step, and not reach into crevises they cannot see into.

Once while night fishing by my parents cottage (Port Severn) we ran into one on the road by our car. Although I am not 100% certain it was a massasuaga rattler it did have a rattle. My dads buddy kicked it out of the way and it took off. I on the other hand stayed back about 50 feet :lol:.

Just seen this post and could'nt resist repliing to it. There are no massasagua rattle snakes at or near gate 12 or anywhere in the surounding area. There is a very limited number in the wainfllet marsh and nearby areas hence why they are on the boarder line of being between threatend/and endangered species list and are highly protected so If your caught killing one it can be an enourmous fine and possible jail time.

The niagara gorge on the other hand does not provide good habitat for our strain of massasgua(which is different from the ones along georgian bay and bruce peninsula). The rattlers that we have in the region prefer wet marshy,swampy grounds and low underlaying brush such as blueberry bushes and such.

The gorge used to inhabit timber rattlers which now are beleive to be extinct in ontario and the last confirmed sighting was back in the sixties.

My knowledge of these comes from volunteering with the local mnr and local herpelogical societies to help finding and radio tracking our deminishing population of the massasgua rattle snake.

For anyone who is interested I beleive they start on the 2nd Saturday of april and are always looking for volenteers to help look for these snakes. they meet at the end of erie peet rd usually around 8am till around noon. If your worried about finding one don't worry chances are you won't

niagarafisher

Guest canadadude

well i will apologise for calling the youngsters whinny brats , But on the other hand please leave the snakes, turtles, and frogs alone

don't touch these amphibians if they were ment to live in the wild, and if they are food for another speicies so be it ! Sorry but it really bugs me when people take wild animals from there habitat and cage them and then say it was doing that animal aa favour because it would have got killed and eatin! If the frog, turtle or what ever is eatin it is natures way by saving the life of a turtle you have deprived some other animal!! This may sound reallly stupid and since I am a forsestry tech I learned abit about nature, the best thing is leave the animals and plants where you find them, nature dosn't need us screewing around because we think its so cute we should take it home!! Sorry for being so uptight on the subject but please guys teach your children how important it is to leave that frog or toad alone instead of putting in the bucket!!! Nature and wildlife will thankyou in the end

Niagarafisher , thanks for the info ! I was reading about the timber rattler and thought it might be the one that inhabited the Niagara gorge . It is a different bio-system down there than the bog in Wainfleet ans I wonder what killed them off in the gorge with so many places there that humans can't access because of the steep rocky areas . I hate to see any species disappear ....they all have their place on this earth like we do .

Canadadude......don't sweat your "hot" post..... :worthy: .....it's obvious you have a greater passion than most for keeping nature in the best condition possible and I hate to see the new housing & industrial encroachment eating away into pristine areas where many species are wiped out .........they call this progress ,but one has to wonder , just how much land do we want to pave over before we lose our wildlife ? Thanks for your input into this .....we need to see this from all sides !

thanks for the info niagarafisher, i was jsut relying on info I have heard from guys who have fished there and claimed to have seen/heard em ... myself I heard a rattle once and didnt hang around long enough to see what it was, I dont think i have ever moved that fast before.

well i will apologise

:worthy: I knew you'd be back. Not many are willing to say that and your intentions were good. I rarely follow the 24 hour rule myself. Thanks and I agree with your reasoning whole heartedly. BTW the turtle had to be removed because it was in the walleye pond but I was revving ya :)

Anne Yagi came to the Feb meeting at the Port C Club and did a PP on the Wainfleet bog and the Massasauga Rattler and Spotted Turtle. There is a lot to learn about these critters and their habitats. Thank God the NPCA has secured a few of these important areas because the Area Governments only see the tax dollars that paving over the region will bring.

I think kids should hunt, collect, and bother critters all they want. Thats how a passion for nature begins.

The hands off approach that Canadadude ranted about is a typical city folk attitude. What kid is going to develop a passion for hunting and fishing by not immersing themselves in nature? My kids would keep snakes & frogs just praying to see the frog get eaten. Now that's being a kid and enjoying nature! He's out there right now with a dip net scooping fish that he has no intention of keeping, just to see them and have a story to tell. I hate it when people with a little education suddenly feel it is there place to tell everyone how things are. Canadadude, you may know a few things about trees, but you've got a long way to go with nurturing future outdoorsmen & women. Shouldn't you be out on an iceflow somewhere hugging a harp seal?

Labber

PS If he happens to bring home a rattler, we'll put it back, when we get around to it.

Labber: May I give you 1 suggestion if you would like to last on this board. Trashing of members is not aloud if you have a comment make it but DO NOT direct it at another member,For some reason ther are members here with verry sensitive minds and they get there feelings hurt real easy, and then they turn into mush heads and there posts become very B) So when you have your 100 posts and we all get to know who you are and the mush heads take a pill, please be sensitive to their feelings. So save your trashing till then,and when you get access to the members forum please feel free to trash away. Please go back and read some of the past posts and you will see what I mean.And as far as the kids bringing wild animals home you should leave them in the wild but that would be like telling people not to pick trilums, or buying fish that they don't want in their aquarium and flush them, gee I wonder where they go (invasive species) maybee this is how it all starts, So I am sure you are going to do what you want by the sounds of it but just think first then decide if it is best to leave them in the wild. And please keep the comments low key we don't want to loose anymore members :DCatfish

Guest FisherNick

I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinions regarding nature.

Anyone on here that is a hunter/fisher should agree. Although I am 100% pro conservation, and release at least 90% of my catch to swim another day, I don’t condone the capture of live animals, but will not snub my nose at someone who does. In some cases common animals being removed from the wild is not as terrible as its made out to be. Nature has survived this long along side man and will continue to do so.

For the record I have never brought home such animals, and generally left nature alone as a child. I once caught a rabbit in my parents garden and kept it for a day but let it go non the worse for wear, and with a full tummy of greens.

I am not saying that I think its right to allow kids to take animals home, but dont tell others what to do either. Unless they are breaking the law do not flame and attack fellow board members they have the same rights that we do.

This topic has gotten a little too heated for no reason.

Guest vidarling

buying fish that they don't want in their aquarium and flush them, gee I wonder where they go (invasive species) maybee this is how it all starts,

Is this how those alligators got into port? LOL

Guest canadadude

Labber: thanks for that lovly rant " no education" lol B):D:lol: That was funiest post I read today!! You put a smile on face this morning! Sorry we have different views on teaching children about nature,habitat and the importance of leaving natural ecosystems alone without interference from humans!

Ok Ok: Yes this topic has got off line, and yes we all have the right to voice our opinion but when It gets to throwing stones at each other there are LURKERS here that just love it. A topic like this should have been moved to the members forum but then it is a good one we just need to control our fingers before we type. And yes I do take my own advice (sometimes) My comment was not to slap anyone for their comment it was to the lurkers and tree kisser's that love to see this type of subject on a fishing site and beleive me since I responded to that Brock thing it has not stopped for me ,the only good thing is that there is not 1 tree hugger out there that can put me in my place and alot have tried in the last bit and over the years,it's just to bad I couldn't make $$$$$ at turning them around and seeing my light :Gonefishing: There is a place for all game animals and it's right between the salad and the potatos and with a little HP.Dam now I'm hungry Rabbit spagitti and Johnny cake anyone ;) Catfish

Wow ;) Lots of twists and turns on this thread,

and all I wanted was some infomation about a snake :Gonefishing:

I will think twice now about posting another thread :blahblah1:

And Rob, I don't see anything wrong with peta

People Eating Tasty Animals :blahblah1:

Hey guys I was reading some older posts, dated back in Aug 04.

Had to do with fishing behind GM.

IBC mentioned there were rattle snakes there. Is this true. I take

my young daughter there from time to time, and I sure as hell

don't want to put her in harms way.

Daniel

Knightfisher , your daughter is at greater risk being bitten by a 30 lb.pike in there than by a rattle snake :blahblah1: Take her there & don't worry about snakes ! :Gonefishing: .....At ease everyone...... ;)

Archived