got our feed of smelt

knightfisher

Daughter and I headed to Queenston this evening for

some smelt fishing.

What a zoo, at the boat launch. Just unbeleiveble.

Don't like netting off the cement docks as I have lost

to many nets.

So we went down river and found a little place and

caught a few hundred and are quite pleased with that.

Daughter pulled the net in a few times with some nice

numbers so she was happy.

All in all a good couple hours tonight, may try one more

time before they are gone.

Lets see, garlic, salt, pepper, butter, going to be a good

side dish with eggs in the morning.

Way to go knightfisher ....that's where you got the name .....fishing after dark ! :D I saw some pics of smelt caught near Toronto ,and they were a good size also . I don'y know why they come all the way from the other side of the lake to go to Queenston for smelt .....maybe the water is cleaner here ? There must be tons of fish comming out of the River and I have to wonder if that has any effect on the salmon as there's no limit on smelt . I think the big commercial netters are by far the biggest threat , but the smelts seem to be holding their own . I would like at least one good feed of those poor man's shrimp ! :)

I noticed yesterday the forsythia were finally in bloom and thought the smelt were probably already gone. Guess that old fart knew what he was talking about.

My grandfather said the same thing,but now the magnolias and cherries are in bloom to.

Way to go knightfisher ....that's where you got the name .....fishing after dark ! :D

:) Good one.

Tommy the average size I caught was about six inches,

maybe it's as chilli said, I caught the tail end of the run

and missed out on the bigger ones.

Good enough for me though, just have to cook more :worthy:

I noticed yesterday the forsythia were finally in bloom and thought the smelt were probably already gone. Guess that old fart knew what he was talking about.

I was talking to the same old fart and he told me , when the lilac 's are in bloom , the eyes in Quinte are looking for a treble hook for dinner . :worthy: He also told me , when the frost is on the pumpkin ....it's time for.......#&%@+%@#& :) I'll have to get a hold of that old bird and ask him about the pike.......something about when the smelts are all gone........and the forsythia is toast ...... :D

Archived