Eating Lake Ontario Fish

Guest fishstick

Guest fishstick

Here's a list of what goes into other fish caught the day before from Enviroment Canada.

Food > Fish and Seafood > Product Inspection > Permitted Additives

Product Inspection

List of Permitted Additives in Fish and Fish Products

This compendium of permitted additives will provide assistance to the user of additives in fish and fish products. Selecting the first letter of the additive in which you are interested will take you to an Alphabetical List of Additives Page starting with that letter. Selecting the specific additive in which you are interested will take you to that additive's page, containing alternate names for that additive, the information on the section of the Food and Drug Regulations relevant to the additive, the purpose of the additive and the level of use for that additive. When the level of use is highlighted and underlined, this provides a link to a comments page containing information on restrictions for the use of that additive. Additives are linked to the corresponding information in French.

The # symbol is for additive names which start with a number such as "4-hexylresorcinol".

Note: Small amounts of additives not listed in the Guide may also be found in unstandardized fish products as carry-over additives from other than fish ingredients such as mayonnaise, cheese, etc.

For further information, please contact:

Fish, Seafood and Production Division

Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Ottawa, ON

K1A 0E6

Telephone: (613) 221-7126

Facsimile: (613) 228-6648

E-mail: Maria Andruczyk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " A "

Acacia Gum

Acetic Acid

Acetylated Monoglycerides

Acetylated Tartaric Acid

Acetylene Black

Aciletten

Activated Carbon

Adipic Acid

Agar

Algin

Alkanet

Allura Red

Alum

Aluminum Metal

Aluminum Sulfate

Aluminum Sulphate

Aluminum Trisulfate

Amaranth

Ammonium Aluminum Sulphate

Ammonium Bicarbonate

Ammonium Carbonate

Ammonium Carrageenan

Ammonium Citrate-dibasic

Ammonium Citrate-monobasic

Ammonium Furcelleran

Ammonium Hydroxide

Ammonium Salt of Phosphorylated Glycerides

Annatto

Anthocyanine

Ascorbic Acid

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " B "

B-apo-8'Carotenal

Baker's Yeast Glycan

Beeswax

Beet Red

Benzeneformic Acid

Benzoic Acid

Biophyll

Brilliant Blue FCF

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " C "

Calcia

Calcium Acetate

Calcium Alginate

Calcium Ascorbate

Calcium Carbonate

Calcium Carrageenan

Calcium Chloride

Calcium Citrate

Calcium Disodium EDTA

Calcium Disodium Ethylenediaminetetraacetate

Calcium Fumarate

Calcium Furcelleran

Calcium Gluconate

Calcium Glycerophosphate

Calcium Hydroxide

Calcium Lactate

Calcium Oxide

Calcium Phosphate-dibasic

Calcium Phosphate-monobasic

Calcium Phosphate-tribasic

Calcium Sorbate

Calcium Sulfate

Calcium Sulphate

Calcium Tartrate

Canthaxanthin

Caramel

Carbon Black

Carbon Dioxide

Carboxymethyl Cellulose

Carob Bean Gum

Carotene

Carrageen

Carrageenan

Caustic Soda

Cellulose

Cellulose Gum

Charcoal

Chloropentofluoroethane

Chlorophyll

Citric Acid

Cochineal

Cream of Tartar

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " D "

d-Araboascorbic Acid

Dimethylpolysiloxane Formulations

Disodium Carbonate

Disodium Pyrophosphate

Disodium Pyrosulphite

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " E "

Erythorbic Acid

Erythrosine

Ethanoic Acid

Ethyl B-apo-8'Carotenoate

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " F "

Fast Green FCF

FD&C Blue No 1

FD&C Blue No 2

FD&C Green No 3

FD&C Red No 40

Ferric Oxide

Food Blue 2

Fumaric Acid

Furcelleran

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " G "

Gelatin

Gelose

Gluconic Acid

Glucono-deltalectone

Glycerol

Guar Gum

Gum Arabic

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " H "

Hydroxylated Lecithin

Hydroxypropyl Cellulose

Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " I "

Indigotine

Irish Moss Gelose

Iron Oxide

Iso-Ascorbic Acid

Isopropanol

Isopropyl Alcohol

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " J "

--

--

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " K "

Karaya Gum

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " L"

L-Cysteine

Lactic Acid

Lactic Esters of Fatty Acids

Lecithin

Locust Bean Gum

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " M "

Magnesium Carbonate

Magnesium Fumarate

Malic Acid

Methyl Cellulose

Methyl Ethyl Cellulose

Methyl-p-hydroxy-Benzoate

Mono- and Diglycerides

Monoglycerides

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " N "

--

--

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " O "

Oat Gum

Orchil

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " P "

Paprika

Phosphoric Acid

Polydextrose

Potassium Acid Tartrate

Potassium Alginate

Potassium Aluminum Sulphate

Potassium Benzoate

Potassium Bicarbonate

Potassium Bisulphite

Potassium Carbonate

Potassium Carrageenan

Potassium Chloride

Potassium Citrate

Potassium Fumarate

Potassium Furcelleran

Potassium Hydroxide

Potassium Metabisulphite

Potassium Nitrate

Potassium Phosphate-dibasic

Potassium Phosphate-monobasic

Potassium Pyrophosphate tetrabasic

Potassium Sorbate

Propyl-p-hydroxy Benzoate

Propylene Glycol

Propylene Glycol Alginate

Propylene Glycol mono Fatty Acid Esters

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " Q "

--

--

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " R "

Riboflavin

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " S "

Saffron

Sandalwood

Saunderswood

Silver Metal

Sodium Acetate

Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate

Sodium Alginate

Sodium Aluminum Phosphate

Sodium Aluminum Sulphate

Sodium Ascorbate

Sodium Benzoate

Sodium Bicarbonate

Sodium Bisulphite

Sodium Carbonate

Sodium Carboxymethyl Cellulose

Sodium Carrageenan

Sodium Cellulose Glycolate

Sodium Citrate

Sodium Dithionite

Sodium Erythorbate

Sodium Fumarate

Sodium Furcelleran

Sodium Gluconate

Sodium Hexametaphosphate

Sodium Hydroxide

Sodium Iso-Ascorbate

Sodium Lactate

Sodium Metabisulphite

Sodium Monohydrogen Phosphate

Sodium Nitrite

Sodium Phosphate-dibasic

Sodium Phosphate-monobasic

Sodium Phosphate-tribasic

Sodium Potassium Tartrate

Sodium Pyrophosphate-tetrabasic

Sodium Sorbate

Sodium Sulphite

Sodium Tripolyphosphate

Sorbic Acid

Sorbitol

Sulfuric Acid, Aluminum Salt

Sulphurous Acid

Sulphurous Acid, Monosodium Salt

Sunset Yellow FCF

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " T "

Tartaric Acid

Tartrazine

Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate

Titanium Dioxide

Titanium Oxide

Tragacanth Gum

Transglutaminase

Turmeric

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " U "

--

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " V "

Vinegar

Vinegar Acid

Vitamin B2

Vitamin C

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " W "

Wood Smoke

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " X "

Xanthan Gum

Xanthophyll

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " Y "

--

List of Additives Starting with the Letter " Z "

--

List of Additives Starting with a Number

4-hexylresorcinol

This can't be good...... :(

yummmmm sounds like mickey d's fillet o fish..lol..actually over the years the consumption guide on eating fish from all over seems to have drastically improved in alot of cases, great lakes fish are sold in the grocery store evry day..so why do people still think that ya shouldn't eat it...but if ya read some of the warnings...seems funny that they only want the guys to eat it...lol...no kids and woman in childbearing years what's up with that..lol

Yikes :lol::

Thanks for the post fishstick, and thats the last time I will be having one :(

Seems to me eating the fish you catch yourself would be a lot safer.

What ever happened to just using salt as a perserative, like in years past.

Something is just not right with society today, or the corporations that run

society.

Guest TroutSlayer

Good point Odysseus! Also the longer living fish like Laketrout, may contain more toxins just because they might live for 20 or 30 years eating minnows and baitfish that feed off the bottom. I still don't have the nerve to eat Lake O fish, but do enjoy bows from Huron and Geargian Bay.

TS

Guest fishmaster

Ive been eating all kinds of fish out of erie and ont since i was 3 years of age and im as healthy as you can get ...dont let thesed dumb regs scare ya ...eat fish and like it ...

There's prob.more toxins in one cig. than a 20 lb salmon..... :) . If you check what's in chicken , pork, beef, etc ...the list may be larger than fishsticks list :worthy: . I was down at the SCGFA today and a guy weighed in a 15.8 lb king ..........Guess what's for dinner here tomorrow ? :blink: Yep....I stole it !!! :angry:

Guest canadadude

As in the case of PCBs in Lake Erie, open water fish will be the "safest" to eat. In Erie that would mean Rainbow Trout and Walleye. Bottom dwelling fish or fish that feed off of organisms associated to bottom (benthic) are more likely to pick up and redistribute toxins such as PCBs through the food chain (web).

The fish with most contaminents tested according to the report I read was perch and bass.

From the reports Ive seen yellow perch have a clean bill of health, smelt and alewive tend to contain the most contaminents and therfore fish which prey on these species build the toxins up in there flesh!! This is why salmon and trout species in the great lakes tend to have the highest levels of toxins!! Now I'm not a biologist but I do read the Ontario Sport Fishing Guide perhaps this imformation is missguiding :Gonefishing::angry::D I don't know but its all i got

Guest canadadude

Perhaps I should reconsider the validity of the Ontario Sport Fishing Guide, But I'm not going to stop pigging out on yellow perch yum!!!! :Gonefishing::angry::D

Guest canadadude

I agree I read that guide and always surprised about certain recomondations on fish in what I would figure are pretty pristine areas!!! I guess natural contaninents exsist as well as what man has polluted the water with,mercury tends to be the problem in the northern lakes and this can occure naturally without any pollution from a man made source

Guest fishstick

Ive been eating all kinds of fish out of erie and ont since i was 3 years of age and im as healthy as you can get ...dont let thesed dumb regs scare ya ...eat fish and like it ...

Haven't met you Steve....so I can't back this claim.... :angry: .... :D

At times I have wondered whether the reg's are printed for consumer benefit, or just to prevent overfishing of certain species.

Maybe the prolonged reports of toxins in the waters have left a negative impression on most of us over the years....

:Gonefishing:

funny about some northern lakes for that..like stated..beautiful looking clear water, lots of northern lakes have high levels of minerals...and some contaminated with byproduct run-off from mining and smelting nickel and gold..thats where alot of mercury comes from I think...and also from sulphur dioxide caused as another by produst of refining minerals in the north country..the smoke gets carried away from the big stacks..can travel miles before settling in low pressure zones...there are a few remnants of old so called "fume kills" out in around the northern Wawa area, they are regenerating over the years but there was a point in time that whole areas of forest and plantlife where all killed from the settling fumes.I have a beauty pic of a spot that was once a fume kill..hard to tell now..took the pic from atop a huge hill looking down at a tiny speck lake I fished a couple times..if I knew how to post it I would..lol well I tried and I think it worked?..dunno we will see..lol

• 4 months later...
Guest cplummer

steve eats fish all the time guys and he looks perfectly * normal *

here's a pic i took of him when we were out fishing this past spring..

he's not too bad looking at all so lets be thankfull eating lake O fish do no harm to your looks !!!

186778310.jpg

cliff....

I have been led to believe if we make industry clean up their act we will get cleaner lakes . And since industries are shutting down and setting up overseas there's more reason to believe the lakes will get better......But , in the paper a few days ago , an article said that we in north america are getting pollution from the air from the thousands of coal burning industries in China . I believe they said 25% of mercury contamination in BC lakes is derived from the factories in China..........This seems far fetched to me , but when you see pictures of the earth with the swirling clouds all around the planet and with a speed of rotation over 1000 miles per hour , it makes more sense . Some day I hope to see a world committee formed that can monitor and report on any country that pollutes the planet and make them heed pollution standards . Am I a dreamer or what ? :lol: " What goes around , comes around " :lol:

Hey Odysseus ......could this be a topic for discussion for the class ?

Guest oDaYWaLKeRo

smerchly, it would be great if that kind of committee will be founded.

However, I believe setting up the industries overseas is not a solution. As long as people live like fashion or technology freaks, sadly there won't be a permanent solution I guess.

Guest Rockfish

Canada's worst polluter is the coal fired Nanticoke power plant which emitted 86,710 tons of Sulfur Dioxide acid rain forming gas one year.

This link was written in Jan/05 and shows the Lakeview plant in Mississauga that was closed that Spring and the stacks were knocked down just this summer. It also talks about the toxic mercury emissions that are found in fish.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jan2005/2005-01-13-02.asp

Fish eating advisories are probably shown for the long term build up of toxins in the body, much like how smoking would affect someone after many years. Fish like salmon/trout and smelt that have a higher fat content stores all the lovely toxins.

:lol::lol: HEY Cliffy: I was talking to Steve last week and ;) He got his teeth fixed and shaved his head, But I did notice that he still has the stststsuuuudddddeeeerrrrrrr and the twitch, but utter dan that he was the same old Steve ;) Now my report of eatting fish from the 'BIG O' & E How long has it been since the PCB day's and how much sand do you think has covered this up in those years. As far as a dinner once a week I think you would suck up more bad crap standing behind your car, Oh and you drive that EVERY DAY. Now don't get me wrong because I would not want all the paper fax boy's be stuffen info up my butt tellen me I'm wrong. I would say that any fish under 8lb in the trout line, under 10lb in the salmon line, Walley eyes I would say 6lb pike and muskey 8 to 10 lb bass would be 2 to 4 lb and have to watch what time of year(worms) If you don't abuse this and don't eat every day I would say that you will be around to see all fishing go right down the crapper and then you can tell your grand kids what it use to be like back when you could go to any stream and not have to push your way past the SQWATTERS and you could get fish all day,just like your grand father use to tell you BACK WHEN so get use to it,those that say you are CANADIAN MOVE OVER FOR THE NEW CHI-N-A-DA the land where you can do anything and take anything and say nothing buy nothing and all the rules are the same.And this is called FREDOM OF SPEACH for now and if it offends somebody here is the only saying Canadians will say (OH WELL what can you do) land of the leggless and home of the girly man,because the only one's with balls left we pushed to a reservation. Again just my veiw. Catfish P/S enjoy your fish while it last's

Like your view Catfish :lol: Wasn't it Pres.Kennedy who said ,"Ask not what your country can do for you , but what you can do for your country" ? That prob. is a lot truer south of the border .

Ya Rockfish , that Nani.plant is real bad for us right here around the horseshoe with the SW winds :lol: They have the techno. to clean up coal firing plants , but the costs are too high . There was a big GM foundry here years ago and they were forced to clean it up with scrubbers etc. Instead of the 11 tons of crap comming out of the smokestacks , all you could see was steam ...........but we know what happened to tha clean efficient plant .....vacated to Michigan , and now thousands of tons of engine blocks etc are trucked back the St.Kitts to be machined. Good thing gasoline is so cheap to pay the shippng costs. It's an uphill battle , but have to keep plugging away and fight to clean up the lakes . As Rob said , our grandkids will pay the price if we give up and we will only have pictures to show them of our fishing days.

Clean water and clean enviroment starts here........pick up YOUR garbage first...............

Archived