Reel maintenance

knightfisher

Noticed a small cap screwed on the back of my reel the other day, took it

off and figured its where you put in more grease. Took the rest of the reel

apart and noticed the grease a slight grey colour or color depending where you

live ;)

Just wonder what some of you guys do here as far as the upkeep of your reels.

Do you clean all the gears or just apply more grease ? I heard some guys use

vaseline.

I really don't want to go to the store and buy some :D :D

Not that there's anything wrong with that :lol:

Guest cplummer

I used to do reel repair and advise against vasoline .. use a high quality reel oil and grease to lube your reels.. and grease at least 2 times a year to keep them smooth.. and if the reel gets water in it.. take apart throughly clean it and grease..

and remember to put a good seal of grease before closing it to seal out the moisture..

cliff...

Guest cplummer

Crisco......

Thats for your french fries not your quality reels..... ;)

Hot Sauce is great as are many others.. but a reel taken care of and cleaned and lubed twice a year will last a few..... put it in crisco and it's cooked...

Crisco , vaseline , KY gell......they are no good when it too cold ....and when the sun heats up the reel it gets too thin and oily !. When I took the cover off my little Quantum , only a small dab of grease was in the gears. I have some white grease.......in a 1 lb .tub......is it any good for reels Cliff ?

sometimes I use 3 in 1 oil my wife uses for her sewing machine..wouldn't use vaseline or the like cuz dirt sticks to it...ya don't want to use anything that gets too gummy..well you guys are talking about reel maintanance....I hear crisco and hotsauce......mmmmmm chicken wings...lol.....well if ya like cooking products...pam..or other cooking spray works good if ya spray it on the eyes of your rod to help keep the ice from building up if you are like me and do lots of winter trout fishing.

I've tried vaseline or KY jelly in a couple of reels and everyone is right it's NOT the best. Temperature fluctuations don't work well. But it will work for a quick fix.

Make sure you use a quality reel Grease and not an oil. There is a difference. Most reels I've seen use a grease, but some Penn reels require an oil because the reel is more of a sealed case. Oil can leak out if the reel is meant for grease.

Guest cplummer

Crisco , vaseline , KY gell......they are no good when it too cold ....and when the sun heats up the reel it gets too thin and oily !. When I took the cover off my little Quantum , only a small dab of grease was in the gears. I have some white grease.......in a 1 lb .tub......is it any good for reels Cliff ?

personally i wouldn't use any grease or oil not designed for reels... the proper grease should be consistant in all normal temps.... some melt from heat turning to an oil and some harden when cold... stick with the stuff designed for it's purpose.. can't beat the hot sauce !!!

cliff...

Thanks for the replys guys.

At first I thought you were all pulling

a fast one with this ''hot sauce'' ;)

So if you use hot sauce for the reels

what do you put on your wings :D:blush:

Archived