"BUCKETS WOW"

ROB MCINTOSH

:D Well I am not sure how I should start this report,should I slag Tommy for being so COCKY or being the angler that I am just thank all that took part In this T. I think I will go with the second one :D First I wound like to :worthy::D Mr. Bucketmouth and his partner Les Howey for their win and a great showing in this T,seeing how he started the slaggin on thurs with Tommy jumpen in on it they both should get 20 slaps each but the nice guy that I am I will let it go this time and talk fishing instead :worthy:B) The day started out with the long haul to this lake and we all travelled in a group so it made the trip easy,we didn't want to lose anyone. We got to the ramp got the boats in and away we went. My partner and I made the desision to go to the south end and start from there,we were looking for 2 sunken islands and found them off the point that we were going to fish. I took one look and said Oh s#$% were in trouble SLIME SLIME well this sucks so we went back to the bridge I allways remember KVD fishing cement bridge abuttments and it paid off we got 2 smalies :D The only prob was that was it we couldn't get 3 more I guess thats why they call it fishing. This lake is a very good lake when there is no slime,it would be nice to go back at a later date.We saw lots of nests with no bass so that was good but bad for me,huge gar pike and walleye because I had a few break off with good thumps(eyes) Lots of good sructure and rock piles but the fish were tucked in the weed line and hard to fish with only 1 flippen the pockets and didn't think it was fare when my partner found it hard doing this.Docks were next and they have crappie docks (steel posts) you had to drive around and pick out the wood ones then stop and work your way in,and even then the lg mouth were not there and it was back to fishing the outside edge of the weeds.We had lots of follows but would just turn when they came close to the boat.I chased 2 big Lg around for 10 or 15min and tossed everything I could think but just no takers. I don't know what more to say than It was a great day just being out and showing a new clubmember things that he will come across in his many days of fishing T's we went threw the differant way's to toss a sinko, when to thro spinners,bodybaits,and rattle traps and what to look for when using these baits,I think he learned lots because before the day was out he was pointing things out to me when he saw something I had explained to him so to me thats all that was important that he learned something and had a great day on the water. Now that I have stated this thread I am sure Tommy will post the results with his own commentary on the day and we will defenatly here from Mr. Bucket him self (did you notice I said Mr. :D ) Catfish p/s Don't ask Tommy who is in 1st place in AOTY POINTS :P And that's being cocky

Thanks Rob, I feel really blessed that we managed even a limit on what i would personnally call a real tough bite as the fish were for the most part not where you would have expected them, ie, docks, weed edges, clumps and what not, they must have been post spawn and God knows i couldn't locate many.

We started off fishing a stretch of docks and weeds and junk on top and standing timber with a fluke, flipn jig, tube (on the edge), senkos, spinnerbaits and topwater, man, that first 2 hours went by real fast and we had a good sized perch to show for it, well, we shuffled off to a weed bed with shalllow gravel around it i had fished previously, got one keeper on a fluke, and my partner nailed another on a pop r.we just moved inside towards the shore and an amish guy and his son did the same, well, wouldn't you know it, the amish nailed an easy 3 pound smallie 15 feet from us , this fish was probably much closer to 4 lbs, they gave each other a high five and threw it in the cooler (ouch!), we gave them a congrats and continued to fish, fished a whole stretch of docks from there on moving in and out and covering the weed edge and shallow junk along with the docks (of course). nothing doing?

Well its about eleven or so and only two keepers, we headed to look for deeper smallies, went to a stretch of a defined weed edge dropping into 12 feet and did this for about 20 minutes without anything and than the shoreline drew me in like a magnet once again, after some pads, docks and more junk weed, nothin, headed to a main point, had two bites, no fish, a little kid on the dock caught a 3 pound smallie, there was a few kids and a dad, the kids were ecstatic and after they looked at the fish they put em back, it was very nice to see kids havin fun, but back to us, ZIPPO for that area, we even went into the shallows that had a great mixture of sand, gravel, and weed and nothing. Man, like Rob says, tons of empty nests and bluegill nests but very few bass, actually saw some smaller bass but real small and around 5 or so bullheads.

Next spot/area was a public launch area that looked promising but after covering it with VAN DAM prowess, (trolling motor on high and chuckin spinnerbaits) just looki for a flash or fish to slow down, NOTHIN!!!!!

Well, next on the list, a mid lake weed bed, fished the open lake side edge, and flipped a few feet inside, got one 5 inch bucket on a small crankbait.

After this we headed to this river that Rob had told us about and all we saw was a creek with a very narrow and weed choked entrance and we fished the outside of the mouth quickly and time was running out and i really didn't feel like wasting time getting into there. BTW, we were skunked here too, :D

Well, i was exasperated to say the least, my partner and i were almost at a loss of where or what to fish, it was around 1:30 pm or so and we had two dinks(common referral to small keepers). We decided to make a run back to fish a couple of areas i had in mind but decided to go the other way for the sake of learning some new areas.

As were driving back i noticed some cane and moved a little closer and saw matted weeds and lilies and just plain junk!!!!!!!!!! :D My favorite stuff if you haven't guessed by my signature :worthy: Well, i made a proposal to my partner Les, if we didn't get a fish i would buy the drinks. Two minutes in he has a blowup, that's all it took, my eyes became like a hawk and my shallow water hunting sense kicked in, tossed the frog out, WHAM, waited for weight, nothing, good fish i'm thinking too,wait a second, twitch it , WHAM, wait for weight, feel it, slam set the hook in and off through the jungle this fish is coming, netted it, was a 2 1/2 plus bucket, AWESOME!!! we high fived each other. fished a little longer than decided to head shallower to the shore, real, real nice stuff in tight, trees overhangin and stumps and just absolutely gorgeous stuff, man i am getting excited just writing about it. anyways, i tried getting my frog into just the right spot and finally did, NOTHIN! after an errant cast i started to reel my frog in rather quickll and WHAM, i stopped dead, waited, twitched(10 feet from boat) WHAM, felt weight, Slam, in he comes, Les was like a gazzele in the boat, he had the net ready in an instant (he was awesome to fish with and knows his stuff!), fish pops off the frog just as SCOOP Les nets him, he was the man!!! it was a 2 lber. I tell you, if i was the netter, i probably would have still been reaching for the net by the time that fish came unbuttoned, just goes to show you team work is so essential in fishng and everyday activities. Well, its almost 2:30 or there abouts, we have 4 fish and are thinking one more decent fish would give us a shot . I spotted a tree that looked just too good not to hold a fish, just couldn't seem to get my frog into it so decided to throw a senko in there, Damn, i hit the spot alright, but my line crossed over a dead branch 5 feet above the water,so i did the yo yo technique wwith the bait, nothing, so i decided to reel in slowly and bring the senko back over top, did it, dropped in the water, feel a tick, set the hook, man oh man, we had a 3 lb plus fish in the livewell, now we had our limit!!! wwhew, talk about workin for a limit.time was becoming a concern so we tried choppin our way out with the trolling motor(i had my push pole in my hand in the morning and said to myself, wwhere am i going to use this?) boy am i brilliant? :worthy: well, we weren't getting out of this deep deep junk to quick so i had to put the big engine down and pummel our way out! well, we headed back for the weigh in but had just enough time to stop where the amish guy had bagged that big smallie, nothing!

Gotta go now, time to play with my daughter, shes beggin me, lol, just want to thank the guys that came out and participated and i wish the fishing was better for everyone. I would really like to see the club do this event here again next year with a possible cottage rental for saturday night so we can sit back and have a few cold ones and a bbq and talk about where and how we got fish. and than go pummel them the next day :D If any of you guys with NY license want to go to a great lake, this one is right up there, traffic is very minimal, i think i saw around 30 cars in total on the 90. compared to 3 million on the 401 heading to the kawarthas, i think i'll be heading south of the border more often, even for just a day of fishing, within 2 hours you are fishing and no traffic, what's better, yea i know, a few more fish would have been nice but i believe we just hit it at possibly the worst time, just remember, the fish can't bite all the time, sorry for the long winded story.

Thanks to my partner Les for a more than great day, I'm just sorry i couldn't get us on more fish, maybe next time.

Cheers everyone, hope you like the read, John. B)

ps, we ended up winning by a very slim margin and also won big fish by a very small margin, maybe Tommy can post the results and big fish weighed in as well as some pics, thanks again to all the guys that ventured further than this club has before and i wish we could have stuck around and opened up some cold, er, make that ICE COLD BEERS and rehashed our findings, oh yea, lots of Gar in this lake, saw one at least 8 lbs, was very interested in my spinnerbait(too bad bass didn't share the same interest lol)

Guest Rob D

its was a very enjoyable day of the water fishing with ya Rob i learned quite a bit of new techniquies to try when i get out on the water next tuesday i hope i get to fish with you again in a up coming tournament later in the season ( the only real bad part of the day was the wicked sunburn and the lack of fish) but it was still a great day Thanks Rob

and congrats John on winning the tournament you were right it was a good lake to fish

Guest Rockfish

Hmmm, no comments? :Gonefishing:

Actually Tommy, it's funny u were so worried about kids bringing in Bass at the Catfish Derby and the spawning Bass at Jordan, but u have no problem catching Bass on the US side, which makes no sense. :(B)

I've heard some good things about Chautaqua Lake . They keep the lake and parks in clean shape, and enforce the rules to keep it that way . My doctor has a cottage on that lake and he told me the taxes are 8 grand a year ! He has several pictures of the heritage buildings in his exam. rooms and he deer hunts and fishes in the area .

Thanks for the great pictures Odysseus , and it's good to see you guys had a good time there. The bass have very vivid colour ..........What is the water colour there ? Is it greenish like Lake Erie or a tea colour like our northern lakes ? And is it a basically shallow lake with no deep holes ? I checked out some web sites on the lake and there's all kinds of great pics . of the area!

Guest Rockfish

Rockfish, you starting your crap again?

Think about it Ody, if u are so worried about spawning Bass and them reproducing everywhere, u wouldn't be fishing for them. :Gonefishing:

hey rockfish, don't know where you are going with this but the season is open, end of argument. i think tommy was worried about people fishing oos fish and bringing them home, two different things :Gonefishing:

Tommy, we weighed in last with all buckets, why didn't you get a picture??? Smerch, it is a very beautiful lake and just a whole hell of a lot nicer to drive to than the kawartha's although there are a lot more pleasure boaters and such on this lake.

Guest Rockfish

Johnny, it's only Tommy's :Gonefishing: about conservation and reproduction worries in other threads, as in taking Bass off nests so other predators can move in and eat the fry. :(

Rockfish: Tommy don't have to keep it going because like you I have had 4 P/M'S on you trashy comments. No 1 if you read the USA regs then you would understand that they have a 1 fish early season and then it changes to 5 fish on june 17 and if you knew anything about bass like you let on to know then you would know that when the temp hits a certin temp they do the dance,these fish that we fished on the weekend were done at least 1 1/2 months ago and the fry have moved off.Now for what you were trashing Tommy about the catfish derby is the same thing about all you so called pike guy's that say OH I'M fishen pike and then come on here to say tell about all the OOS bass you are catchen and don't say that YOU don't hook bass, and to top it all off YOU are pullen them off there nest even earlyer than us.So think of things YOU have done before you trash someone and the times YOU are fishing pike/bass and don't move because YOU are catching a fish And maybe for once read the regs YOURSELF A and maybe read about the OOS bass you are fishing in may and see what the temps are then slap YOURSELF :wacko:Catfish

Guest Rockfish

:lol: Well, no surprise that post was coming and Rob u forgot the post-14-1148949706.gif

BTW Rob, about trashy comments remember how u were told about your inflammatory statements in chilli's OOS pics thread by the Admin. :wacko:

none of my business but if you have been fishing anywhere in the niagara region between march and now, chances are that every single one of us has caught bass while fishing for whatever..it is just a matter of personal choice if ya get a couple bass oos to move on away from the area..I go out fishing alot and so far this spring I have probably caught pushing 50 bass while fishing for whatever..and that is trying my best not to catch em..and doing lots of moving around at lots of different fishing spots from shore and in the boat..you really can't help it..man people are too easy to start pickin on people on here lately..maybe ya have to start looking in the buy and sell to see if anyone has a spare supply of Midol...in 4 more days this will all be irrelivent anyways.

Archived