Niagara River/Lake Ontario Report

heatmiser74

:lol: Niagara River report: Made it to the Niagara on Wednesday afternoon (It takes forever to get out of T.O.). First fish came within the few minutes of launching. A 5lb Sheepshead between the 2 Queenston drifts on a C.C. spoon. Tried for a few more minutes & nothing so my Dad & I headed down to the Navy Hall hole. Picked up a 8lb Drum on a 3inch Rick Clunn tube (watermelon). Worked our way down to the marine and only hooked into a largie along the way. Tried a couple of drifts at the mouth, along with the Coast Guard drift, nothing. The winds were gusting pretty bad at the mouth so we motored up to the Pine Tree drift. My Dad (Greyhawk) nailed a few Smallies on 4inch Phenix tube (smoke). Fished the bay at the end of the drift & caught bunch of Smallies on spoons. Things slowed there so we decided to finish the day fishing the pools & back eddies above the power dams. Good decision because this is were we hooked into the majority of our fish. The Smallies were hitting tubes pretty aggressively up there. Although we hooked into more the 25 fish (no size)it was still a pretty tough day of fishing with most of our fish coming within the last 1hr of the day. Conditions: 5-6ft of visibility, very little floating debris & surface temp. was 70*F.

:) Lake Ontario report: Hit the Lake at about 6am yesterday morning. Launched out of Forans Marina (Grimsby) & headed towards 50 Point. Started trolling in about 100FOW. Trolled for about 1hr until we hit our 1st fish (6lb King) in about 105FOW down 83ft on a Hotspot flasher & Howie Fly (MunkyPuke) combo. Trolled for another 1/2hr & had knock-off on a dipsy/Rac spoon (Grape/Black) set-up. This was a immediately followed by another fish that just started peeling off line, but infortunately got off because it didn't pop the release (had the release accidently set too tight #@!$ :x ). Trolled for another 2hrs & nothing. There were a lot of boats out today & I didn't see/hear of anything being caught. Apparently from what I've heard the most consistent action has been Bronte/Port Credit & Port D. Conditions: Fleas were almost non-existent, Surface Temp was a constant 68.2*F & trolling speeds were from 2.3-3mph.

:) Niagara River report: Made it to the Niagara on Wednesday afternoon (It takes forever to get out of T.O.).  First fish came within the few minutes of launching.  A 5lb Sheepshead between the 2 Queenston drifts on a C.C. spoon.  Tried for a few more minutes & nothing so my Dad & I headed down to the Navy Hall hole.  Picked up a 8lb Drum on a 3inch Rick Clunn tube (watermelon).  Worked our way down to the marine and only hooked into a largie along the way.  Tried a couple of drifts at the mouth, along with the Coast Guard drift, nothing.  The winds were gusting pretty bad at the mouth so we motored up to the Pine Tree drift.  My Dad (Greyhawk) nailed a few Smallies on 4inch Phenix tube (smoke).  Fished the bay at the end of the drift & caught  bunch of Smallies on spoons.  Things slowed there so we decided to finish the day fishing the pools & back eddies above the power dams.  Good decision because this is were we hooked into the majority of our fish.  The Smallies were hitting tubes pretty aggressively up there.  Although we hooked into more the 25 fish (no size)it was still a pretty tough day of fishing with most of our fish coming within the last 1hr of the day.  Conditions: 5-6ft of visibility, very little floating debris & surface temp. was 70*F.

:lol: Lake Ontario report:  Hit the Lake at about 6am yesterday morning.  Launched out of Forans Marina (Grimsby) & headed towards 50 Point.  Started trolling in about 100FOW.  Trolled for about 1hr until we hit our 1st fish (6lb King) in about 105FOW down 83ft on a Hotspot flasher & Howie Fly (MunkyPuke) combo.  Trolled for another 1/2hr & had knock-off on a dipsy/Rac spoon (Grape/Black) set-up.  This was a immediately followed by another fish that just started peeling off line, but infortunately got off because it didn't pop the release (had the release accidently set too tight #@!$ :x ).  Trolled for another 2hrs & nothing.  There were a lot of boats out today & I didn't see/hear of anything being caught.  Apparently from what I've heard the most consistent action has been Bronte/Port Credit & Port D.  Conditions:  Fleas were almost non-existent, Surface Temp was a constant 68.2*F & trolling speeds were from 2.3-3mph.

220[/snapback]

Hey rick, i hate that i have to log in every time and that every time i want to reply this huge quote follows me :) .Good report heat miser, i haven't even made it to the lower this year, will be there in a few more weeks though, hopefully those small jaws bellies will be full. i use the same spoon as you by the way. Take care and look forward to next report, John.

Guest bigfish1965

The log in problem will be solved after the site is fully on the server and the secure server is no longer being used. As far as the quote thing..I hadn't noticed it before.

:Gonefishing: Yeah Bucketmouth those bass should be hawgs in the next few weeks. There's a TON of bait in the river right now & even the small bass we caught were little piggies.

:D As for the C.C. spoons they are awesome. They are way cheaper than most other jigging spoons like the hopkins & you get 2 in a package. They also have a great fluttering action on the fall. I've caught everything on them: Browns, Lakers, Bows, Bass, Walleye... etc. Definitely one of my favourites :P .

Archived