How to catch a nice muskie in 5 easy steps...

Guest angleris retardis

Guest angleris retardis

I apologize for the delay in adding to the message boards - but I have been out catching bass, and lots of them. So, ok I finally figured out some spots, techniques, and lures and we have been killing bass left and right (figeratively). We are not without our classic clown-like preformances - (neighbor dropped his pole in the water last time - einstein). I would have bet it was his 4 year old, but nope it was him. Fortunately I saw it in 4 ft of water - and told him where to dive in. He is luck to fish with me. On him for a minute - he should take up bowling for he is the strike king. The strike only king. He probably pulls in maybe 1 out of every 5 strikes. I am not going to tell him his worm rig is getting in the way of his barb though. Somethings you just gotta let people figure out for themselves. Perhaps after another 25 misses it might jog something. Ah well. No question the river ain't the back yard pond. I had a back yard pond where you could throw a beer can in a catch a bass. This river is still very challenging.

So I am now trying to master muskie fishing (by friday). I have heard the fall is the best time, and to fish spots outside of dropoffs/sunken islands, the whole figure 8 trick, and some others but I want a few local tips for the upper. I have searched many hours online and have found only minimal help. Any good suggestions on lures, speed of reeling, scents, trolling, colors, type of day, time of day, etc. Again - what will guarantee a muskie next outing. You heard me guarantee! If you grandpa has great advice but only caught 1 muskie back in 1967 I would prefer only to hear that via smoke signals. Real stuff, recent stuff. Thanks and God Bless, AR

Guest Rockfish

To be truthful I've heard that Muskie are sometimes the fish of a thousand casts.

They are notorious for following a lure right up to your feet or a boat and have seen lots of Pike do the same thing. They just follow a lure right up to u and when u jig it in front of them they just stare at it, that's when the figure 8 comes in if u have room in between the weeds.

Step 1. Try a few casts in a spot.

Step 2. Cast some more.

Step 3. Cast again.

Step 4. Keep casting.

Step 5. Try another spot and repeat.

:Gonefishing:

I think rockfish is holding out on his muskie catching secret..

he gets his on the 1st cast.. so i dunno bout this 1000 cast thing..

I think the key to catching muskie is only using lures that cost under $3 ? isnt that right?

hehehe

step 1...... get a nice strong fishing rod and real with line nice 17 or up.....

step 2.....throw on a nice big lure...bucktail...j12 rapala or a nice fat spinnerbait..etc

step 3....find a lake with muskie in it.

step 4...... cast your assssssssss offfffff

step 5.......cast your assssssssss offfffff

P.S...dont ever stop casting..

Guest Rockfish

I think rockfish is holding out on his muskie catching secret..

he gets his on the 1st cast.. so i dunno bout this 1000 cast thing..

I think the key to catching muskie is only using lures that cost under $3 ? isnt that right?

hehehe

Blair, it was about the 20 th time I had been to that spot though and countless casts. :Gonefishing:

Had already tried a cleo spoon in the area and notta, so it was probably the 3.5" Perch imitation snack I threw at it. :o:D

musky fishing can be a little tricky...ya might have to go to renouned musky lake to get em..and still not even get em :o ..I just got back from doing some bass fishing on the upper Niagara..got a couple decent smallies..no musky follows though...the long grassy weeds are getting pretty thick up around Navy for sure..actually most muskies I have ever hooked into have been while fishing for something else, and just turned out to be a bonus..and a challenge for sure specially on lighter gear..I got my 52"... on 8lb test line..medium action spinning gear, with a spinner bait..no leader to boot..and I got that one in..but if you are fishing on the Niagara for them..best time to target them is probably Oct..into Nov..on the crappy cold days...try using baits that match the colour of a rainbow trout...when the little bows start filling up the river, the muskies will feed on them..and big baits like storm swim baits..that are in pinks...or orange patterns..the muskies will eat big suckers too, and thats what colour they are on the river ,...kinda coppery like...and like the other guys said...cast cast cast...try different stuff and places...some guys fish a life time and never get any...I have lost more than I actually ever landed..well good luck in the quest man :D:Gonefishing:

Best way to get a muskie is to fish for bass. I always seem to get them big pesky things......Biggest came flipping a weedline with a 4.5 inch power craw, lots on white spinnerbaits.

You need to troll 'the triangle' in the upper river. Triangle from Strawberry island, grand island, NPC ramp.

Guest angleris retardis

Ok - so putting all of those suggestions together so far I get this:

Step 1. Buy a poodle that cost under $3;

Step 2. Feed it a imitation Perch snack (or was it spray paint it Perch colors?);

Step 3. Throw it in the propwash at 5mph;

Step 4. When he tries to come back on board do the figure 8 thing;

Got it. I will let you know how it turns out. Look out muskies!

make sure you don't tell them at the humaine society what you are doing with all the dogs you have been "adopting"..and you have to try to get white ones if you can, that way you can dye them what ever colour they are hitting on that day :rolleyes:

Ok - so putting all of those suggestions together so far I get this:

Step 1. Buy a poodle that cost under $3;

Step 2. Feed it a imitation Perch snack (or was it spray paint it Perch colors?);

Step 3. Throw it in the propwash at 5mph;

Step 4. When he tries to come back on board do the figure 8 thing;

Got it. I will let you know how it turns out. Look out muskies!

And there's always my sure fire approach, the dynamite thingy, but could

attract a little to much attention :rolleyes:

PS; I have a dumb ass dog you can try, and save yourself $3

Guest Rockfish

And there's always my sure fire approach, the dynamite thingy, but could

attract a little to much attention :angry:

PS; I have a dumb ass dog you can try, and save yourself $3

Dan, better not let Valerie see that post, poor Carmen. :rolleyes:

That's one huge ski ! I remember the picture , there were 2 huge skis caught early this year from the Niagara and Port Dal. This one looks like it ran into a cement wall doing about 30 knots :Gonefishing:

It's called go oput in the upper river and catch a 2.5 lb smallie and watch a 40+inch come up and take it sideways while your reeling it in ,happened 2 times during the NFN Tourny once to my partner Henry and i believe i saw Doc post that his partner Aaron had the same thing.

Dallas

Archived