New Restrictions to minnow harvest and transport

Guest Gill Finigan

There was a new announcment just days ago about the newest invader. Some kind of shrimp but not the "killer" shrimp they feared would come. This one does eat microscopic creatures but we'll have to wait and see the impact.

Steve I hope your right.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Virt from T-Bay

I saw and reported the die-off first hand this spring in St-Clair (No it was not Lake Turnover).

I counted about 75 dead fish within a 150 meter beach front. NASTY

For you skeptics, get your heads out of the sand.

You heard it here first. I have booked John Cooper from the Lake Erie Management Unit as a guest speaker on March 6th at the Fort Erie Conservation Club 7:30pm, to talk about VHS and bait restrictions.

John said "expect more announcements in the coming weeks. It appears the virus is now further spread then previously thought. The next round of die offs isn't expected to start until April/May and should become apparent to everyone at that time".

I tried to get someone to come to the club for the February meeting but all were already booked or ill. Apparently by the time this meeting is held in March there will be alot more to talk about. Please fill this room and bring a loaded question. Rob I know I can depend on yourant.gif

WTG Dan .......lets hope we get a good turnout ! The more info the better and if you get nabbed and fined heavily , you can't plead ignorance . Even if you disagree with the whole scene , it's good to hear what they have to say and debate the issue . As JJ would say ....."Write this down" and have questions ready .

That is the same place in Stevensville ,right Dan ? That is a beauty clubhouse !

hmm good job they put you in charge of "guest speakers" Dan :) well and the walleye rearing pond too :D . Guess I will have to see what they have in store for me as "trustee" at the next executive meeting.

Good job man, didn't take you long to try to get on this issue :)

hey never know , if you say you got a word or 2 in, it's a start, it all has to start some where, and the more people try to be informed and educated the better

Here's some more info on VHS.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/aquacultu...h/VHS_FAQ_e.htm

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/ani...Great_Lakes.pdf

While I'm not sure if the bait restrictions are the best way of going about trying to prevent VHS. One has to agree that this virus could be absolutely devasting to fisheries in smaller inland lakes & lakes with fragile fish stocks (e.g. Lake Simcoe Muskie).

hey steve ....just saw your spot on CH NEWS . like we said before

maybe if these co called experts would involve you guys bait harvesters

sellers ......being that you guys are on the front lines . they could get the

info they need so that a workable solution can be found for the benefit

of ALL . anything we can do to help bud ..... just ask !!! :):D

you have our support :)

joe and pauline

Guest canadadude

I think at the very least the government should compensate the bait harvesters for there loss revenue!!! I mean to shut down ones livelyhood,at the least what should be done is the government should have some $$$$$ available for there loss of business!!! I think the fishers of the province should loby for fair compensation for the bait harvesters,I mean they have provided a service to all of us to make our sport more pleasurable!!! Perhaps the O.F.A.H could help out on there behalf!

So if I'm reading this right, basically the days of going to my local bait shop and buying minnows is all but over in Southern Ontario.

Not true, minnows can be harvested north of the boundaries and then shipped south.

jjcanoe

The harvesters will hardly be able to compansate the North let alone supply the South. Your better off fishing with gold minnows.

I missed you Steve. I'll watch the repeat at 11. Dad said you said it well.

Just for the record Rob it's not my meeting it's the Conservation Clubs meeting and the guest speaker will get 30 minutes and 50 bucks before we hit the bussiness. This is an important topic that people need to learn about. We at the club are not looking at the politics, we just want people to know how serious this is and what everyone can do to minimize their impact.

This doesn't appear to be the fault of the outdoors industry rather the shipping industry again. However we will need to be instrumental in preventing the spread. Rob if you don't believe this virus is real or you think it was placed in our lakes on purpose or whatever. Come to our meeting and listen. I'm sure John Cooper will answer any questions that concern you but he will only be able to give you information with which he has been provided.

As for types of fish, the orriginal reports said it affected Musky first and hit the sheepshead hard in the Ottawa River. As far as I know the ottawa River Doesn't flip or does it? :lol:

Guest canadadude

Here's some more info on VHS.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/aquacultu...h/VHS_FAQ_e.htm

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/ani...Great_Lakes.pdf

While I'm not sure if the bait restrictions are the best way of going about trying to prevent VHS. One has to agree that this virus could be absolutely devasting to fisheries in smaller inland lakes & lakes with fragile fish stocks (e.g. Lake Simcoe Muskie).

READ THIS INFORMATION!!!!!!!! Before we start accussing industries and making accusations we should try to get as much information as we can

READ THIS INFORMATION!!!!!!!! Before we start accussing industries and making accusations we should try to get as much information as we can

Thank You... a lot of people jumping the gun & coming up with their own theories & conclusions. There's a wealth of information on this disease & a simple search on Google is all you need to learn more.

Here's another good link that deals with the baitfish industry & VHS (mainly U.S.A. but a good read none the less). I like the last paragraph...

Live fish are popular baits in many areas across the country. Reasonable attention to the source, handling, and health status of fish intended for use as bait will effectively reduce disease risks to acceptable levels. However, the harvest of fish from the wild and movement of them to new regions, along with their associated nuisance species and pathogens, is a practice that deserves a higher level of scrutiny by resource managers and the public.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/zoology/rush/studen...F2905p19-23.pdf

Guest fishmaster

Make a phone call to Mr. Cooper i bet he will say you can catch you own bait and transport it to NIP with not hassle ....is this going to stop the spread ....

Somebody was in the store today that called him to ask this same thing maybe he will post what mr cooper said to him about taken bait to NIP..

Steve the MNR has announced that no bait or fish shall be transported out of the infected zone :lol:

No matter what Mr Cooper said, the MNR has the authority. Of coarse they've cut them so badly they don't have the capability to stop anyone but I would hope that there is no one stupid enough to put another fishery at risk.

Even if it is just a matter of time :lol:

I'd be careful not to blame this on anglers though. There are those that this would be music to their ears if you know what I mean.

It would be music to all our ears if this was just the hoax Rob's making it out to be but until that revelation comes true i feel for you Steve. I don't wish this on your biggest competitor. You should be aloud to at least supply minnows for your own area from which the bait was caught. I'll stand by you there. :)

I agree ...Steve should be able to at least keep all the area south of the 401 supplied .....can't spread anymore than it is already ! But that may be too small an area to make enough to pay for gas ..... If we get some ice to fish , minnows would be in demand more . All this stuff is bad news for fishermen....I hope it is only temporary ......maybe a normal cold winter would kill this "virus" :blink:

Guest canadadude

I relise this is a bad time for all of us but lets deal with the laws and why don't you harvesters get together and demand compensation from the government! Investagate a law suit towards them make them pay for your loss in revenue!!!! This is the only way you may get $$$$$$$ back or get your buisness back don't female dog litigate yourselves back into buisness or at least some $$$$$$$$ for a payoff!!! Turn this into a windfall

I relise this is a bad time for all of us but lets deal with the laws and why don't you harvesters get together and demand compensation from the government! Investagate a law suit towards them make them pay for your loss in revenue!!!! This is the only way you may get $$$$$$$ back or get your buisness back don't female dog litigate yourselves back into buisness or at least some $$$$$$$$ for a payoff!!! Turn this into a windfall

Now that's not too bad an idea/suggestion. People have been known to file class action lawsuits for less reason then this ( I think). A talk with some legal counsel might be in order.

Guest canadadude

I seem to carry on this subject but public support and sympathy will get you no where a class action suit between the bait harvesters and the government may give you dudes a chance and the fisher,s of this province should back your a$$es :blink::blush::lol:

In my opinion the government is shutting you dudes down for somthing they really don't know anything about and may be neglegent in doing so!!!! enough said GET A LAWYER!!! :(:(

I was on the water that day and what I saw made me very upset but there was nothing I could have done.What I SAW WAS HUNDREDS off bass floating on the surface in about 9 to 15 feet of water. These fish were still alive they had great color. The problem that I seen was that these fish hit the surface so fast with the turn over that they got the bends and their bladder was full of air,and I know about this because of the amount of bass fishing that I do. The fish that were floating got caught up in being in shallow water because of the storm that went threw with 9 to 10 foot waves coming out of the west,also the temp of the lake droped 10 to 12 degrees and it took the oxegen out of the water at the botom of the lake. When this happens the fish shoot to the surface to find oxegen at a differant depth thus they get the bends. Now if there were 10 or 20 bass guy's out there when this happend we could have helped alot of these fish by fizzing them. They would have been able to get back down and find the water that they needed.

A. The "bends" is Nitrogen Narcosis A result of breathing compressed oxygen. Bass do not wear scuba tanks.

B. Turnover doesn't happen in 9-15 fow to enough of a degree to incapacitate HUNDREDS of fish.

C. Fish rising at any speed from 9-15 fow to the surface is not nearly enough to cause its swim bladder to expand enough to incapacitate or kill them.

D. 9-10 foot waves (assuming on the previous day or two you didn't mention when) would greatly increase dissolved oxygen in the water in the upper strata of the lake so when it did turn over, plenty of oxygen would be sent to the bottom of the lake along with the warmer surface water.

E. If the fish from were used to being in 9-15 fow and the lake turned over, they should be used to the water temp and not have been affected by any temp changes when they followed their prefered temp and dissolved oxygen content to the surface.

F. If this were the result of a turnover, wouldn't other fish be affected as well, not just bass

It sounds to me that the tree huggers HAVE made there way in to Ottawa threw the back door and they should come out with a new commercial HAND IN YOUR POCKET staring Mr. Mcsquinty himself. Get ready for a ban on FISHING altogeather because the next thing they will say is it is bad for your health.

Are we to believe that animal activists are to blame for this particular fish kill? and maybe the VHS virus as well!

Don't mean to pick on anyone, but a lot said in that post doesn't add up. I'm not saying that it didn't happen just that it probably wasn't caused by lake turnover.

jjcanoe

Steve mentioned that someone called Mr. Cooper and asked him what would happen if baitfish were taken out of the infected zone by anglers. That person was me. On some of the other chat boards I was on, people were all asking the same questions. "This mentions commercial bait harvesters, but what happens if a regular angler goes out and gets their own baitfish, and brings it out of the infected zone for their own use?" I was wondering the same thing, so I phoned the M.N.R. on Friday. I first talked to this lady, who told me that that was allowed, as long as it was not bought from someone with a commercial license. She then transferred me to Mr. Cooper so he could confirm what she said. Mr. Cooper was not in so he returned my call later on that day. He confirmed what I had been told earlier and added that "yes, this was a loophole that they had not noticed, and that there was nothing they could do if you were bringing minnows into either the buffer zone, or the safe zone, provided that you caught them yourself. He said they were looking into it, but as of today, there was nothing that they could do about it. He mentioned it several times to me that these rules can only be enforced on commercial harvesters, and baitfish that was gathered by commercial harvesters. It seems a little odd to me that guys who are trained what to look for when they are harvesting baitfish, such as species at risk, legal kinds of baitfish, etc, etc, are the only ones that are really getting a beating. Makes no sense to me.

Archived