Will I run for President?

Dan Andrews

Who's going to run for office at the SCGFA? The current crew has had enough and most just want to help if needed. So far I know of no one willing to organize a derby or pay the bills. How about collecting ramp fees. No that's not for me either. I live in Fort Erie. You St Catharines boys can step up to your own plate or watch your club shamefully close its doors. A sad representation of your City and its anglers.

I've decided that when we have our election in Dec 08 at the Fort Erie Conservation Club, I will either run for President of the club or leave on good terms for a club that supports H&A. There is another sportsmans club in Fort Erie but I'm a hardcore environment guy with a general love for nature. However the sportsmen have left this club to the pacifists. Fishing and Hunting play an important role in Conservation. I hope to correct the ignorance by then but I'll need the help of the area anglers and hunters to correct the way these nature lovers see our past time.

Gee I see some simularities here between the SCGFA and the FECC. I'll step up to this plate and I have nearly 2 years to prepair! What about your neck of the woods? Ya thats right, someone will step up at the last second and save the day right? Maybe PETA will help you guys out. Ahh just shut up and fish :)

Dan

Guest canadadude

I have way to many past grievences with the SCGFA as they probably have with me to even join the club :worthy: I will not discuss these on an open forum,something I learned from past posts :)

Guest canadadude

This is just my feeling on this at the time.

The Game & Fish definately needs the high energy go getters who are on top of the issues that pressing down upon club concerns. Needed are the public speakers, the ones with political connections, celebrity status, knowledge of laws, by laws and rules of engagement, personal experience whether from former related occupations like MNR or in their spare time.

Personally, I'm discouraged by potential forthcoming events. Even though I may be wrong on this, my hunch says that the clubs days are numbered. It won't matter who is in power or who is on the commitee. The reason being is that is prime real estate there. It is also the club's extra income. I'm sure after the 5 yr lease is up, it'll be a fight to renew. The president is going to need lots of outside help. Not just through membership.

The focus will always be on how to attract new strong standing members to the club, to stay active in the club, being passionate about the club and make it just more than a hobby, but a commitment to perform and succeed. I'm thankfull to members like Chilli, Dagmar and Bob for keeping their chins up through all of this :)

I would hate to see the St.Catharines Game & Fish disappear from the radar, but at least the OFAH is an allie that will hopefully give hope to maintain status.

Nice thoughts Tommy :worthy: I think you wrote that in your dreaming font :P:lol:

Guest canadadude

More like a voice over movie sequence spoken over images and scenery. :)

At the very least I'd like to see all the people who enjoy fishing the harbour for the trout provided by the Game & Fish at least buy a membership.....I've got mine. :P

ok next time I got an extra $50 I'll get a membership :worthy: The way things are going that should be like......never :lol:

At the last SGFA meeting there were 6 people total in the room ( one first timer)..... I would say , yes , the club is on it's last legs ......a far cry from the huge membership 30 yrs ago . It seems more people are fishing these days then way back then ! And yes, it' a prime piece of property worth a lot of $$$$$$ ! Even the OFAH may not be of any help if there are no members........Maybe an amalgamation of all the Niagara clubs will keep us going as a club.........

United we stand....................

I think there should be a clause in the membership that states all members must give at least

five hours of their time to the club per year.

I also think with this in place the club members could put in place a weekly garbage clean up

of the Port area. An hour every Sat or Sun moring weather permiting. With a few SCGFA hats or

vests worn by the weekly clean up crew, over time the club would be recognised for doing their

part in keeping Port D clean, and I am sure it would make it in the paper with photos from time

to time.

A simple action like this would definitely make people take notice. :)

Guest canadadude

I think there should be a clause in the membership that states all members must give at least

five hours of their time to the club per year.

I also think with this in place the club members could put in place a weekly garbage clean up

of the Port area. An hour every Sat or Sun moring weather permiting. With a few SCGFA hats or

vests worn by the weekly clean up crew, over time the club would be recognised for doing their

part in keeping Port D clean, and I am sure it would make it in the paper with photos from time

to time.

A simple action like this would definitely make people take notice. :)

Good luck with that :) You can only get 6 members to a meeting :lol: On another note when the snow melts a few of us Port posse members are going to rake the grass areas and do a clean-up :worthy: Right Catfish! :):) I don't think I have ever picked up more Timmies cups and Mc Donalds crap then I have in the last couple a months :P

Don't gripe about something you are not willing to correct. There are far too many spectators in the SCGF club, and more than enough suggestions and criticisms to go around.

Where are the members when there is a general meeting? I realize you can't make all meetings, but at least attend some and voice your opinion or support. I haven't seen more than a few general members at any meeting. The last with 2 regular members must have made a real (negative) impression on the new guy.

Since coming back to SCGF, having been a member in the early '80s, I was disappointed that many, if any, did NOT step up to the plate to assist with the meagre activities of the club. Dan's suggestion about a mandatory contribution of volunteer time would seem to be a step in the right direction. I would promote 10 to 15 hours per calendar year, EXCLUDING KIDS DAY.

WHILE THE CLUB REQUIRES A MORE SOPHSTICATED EXECUTIVE, WHO WANTS TO LEAD WHEN NO ONE WILL FOLLOW!

RING THE BELL OF DOOM, BUT IF THE CLUB FAILS, ALL PAYING MEMBERS WILL HOLD SOME RESPONSIBILITY.

FOR A BRIGHTER FUTURE ALL MEMBERS MUST SEARCH THEIR CONSCIENCE, SHARE THE WORKLOAD AND PROMOTE A CLUB WITH REAL OBJECTIVES AND SUCCESSES.

I've jumped on the band wagon with the rest of the disgruntled members, but .....

I have been working closely with Dagmar to find new business contributions for Kids Day

I proposed a number of initiatives to grow the young adult membership (teens)

I promoted the cleanup of Twelve Mile creek along the Ontario Street corridor through provincal resources. This has potential, overseen by the conservation authorityand SCGF, to become a learning environment for our youth.

My current research into an alternatives method to raise funds, if confirmed, will be presented at the next meeting.

All of these initiatives requires support from several members. Are you in OR out?

Well I'm in and willing to put in a few hours. The kids day however will be with my daughter as she

still qualifies and I won't let her alone on the pier.

I have no idea how many members would balk at having to give a few hours a year, but if the

numbers are low at the meetings and such, I would start out low with the mandatory contribution of time.

This way the people who join the club just for the boat ramp will be more willing to help. To steep and to

many may be lost, which would hurt revenue.

But who ever the president is now, should look at doing this now, or at least bring it up for a vote.

Guest canadadude

Don't gripe about something you are not willing to correct. There are far too many spectators in the SCGF club, and more than enough suggestions and criticisms to go around.

Where are the members when there is a general meeting? I realize you can't make all meetings, but at least attend some and voice your opinion or support. I haven't seen more than a few general members at any meeting. The last with 2 regular members must have made a real (negative) impression on the new guy.

Since coming back to SCGF, having been a member in the early '80s, I was disappointed that many, if any, did NOT step up to the plate to assist with the meagre activities of the club. Dan's suggestion about a mandatory contribution of volunteer time would seem to be a step in the right direction. I would promote 10 to 15 hours per calendar year, EXCLUDING KIDS DAY.

WHILE THE CLUB REQUIRES A MORE SOPHSTICATED EXECUTIVE, WHO WANTS TO LEAD WHEN NO ONE WILL FOLLOW!

RING THE BELL OF DOOM, BUT IF THE CLUB FAILS, ALL PAYING MEMBERS WILL HOLD SOME RESPONSIBILITY.

FOR A BRIGHTER FUTURE ALL MEMBERS MUST SEARCH THEIR CONSCIENCE, SHARE THE WORKLOAD AND PROMOTE A CLUB WITH REAL OBJECTIVES AND SUCCESSES.

I've jumped on the band wagon with the rest of the disgruntled members, but .....

I have been working closely with Dagmar to find new business contributions for Kids Day

I proposed a number of initiatives to grow the young adult membership (teens)

I promoted the cleanup of Twelve Mile creek along the Ontario Street corridor through provincal resources. This has potential, overseen by the conservation authorityand SCGF, to become a learning environment for our youth.

My current research into an alternatives method to raise funds, if confirmed, will be presented at the next meeting.

All of these initiatives requires support from several members. Are you in OR out?

Don't you get it the members have lost interest and support for this club!!!! It used to be fun to come out and shoot the Breeze with fellow members and at one time there was a feeling of fellowship!! It was fun sharing fish'in and Hunting stories,seeing slide shows of dudes trips and having a fun night out!! That aspect is gone, it's all about business and the next event and how to raise more money!! Who wants to belong to a club thats all work related,try to bring the club back to its roots a fun evening out to share some stories,here a speaker or see some pics of a members adventure!!Fish Frys,wild game dinners,dances,turkey shoots these kind of fun social events will attract members and maybe raise a few dollars!!The club has lost it's social aspect that made it a succcess in the first place ,and I'm sorry but draging dudes down to Port Saturday morning to pick up garbage won't bring it back!! .......just my 2 cents

Guest canadadude

The events that brought in all the members have been neglected for so long there is no interest in the club anymore!! The Salmon Derby is not even close to what it once was,no promotion,no large corporate sponsers,no salmon seminar!! The derby itself brought in tons of members,now we have a kids day which is good,but to me the derby organization suffered large with all the effort going into a one day free deal for kids! Which is not helping out membership!! Gone is the fishing up at the waterworks for members, the perch fry, I mean the club doesn't offer much anymore and hence the membership and general meetings are what they are!!!The club must get back to Hunting and fishing not garbage clean-up and enviromental tree hugging crap,the enviromental stuff will come but first you have to have interesred members who look forward to a meeting! Members who look forward to an event,I mean as much as like kids there not going to pay the bills and run the club!!!I think a kids day is great don't get me wrong but if more work is not done to enhance a members needs the kids day and the club will be gone!! :lol: ...........4 cents

Once again, come to the meeting and voice your opinion. It counts! :lol:

Social events are the foundation of many clubs, but they require organization by volunteers and funding, whether direct with cash or merchandise/food.

With fewer revenue sources from a shrinking membership, fund raising to pay the bills becomes the focus. :)

Dan, I respect your commitment to family and have no problem with that. It would be interesting to see the response to mandatory volunteer time, especially if a vote were taken and the turnout was 3 members. :huh:

Tommy, the creek doesn't have to be stocked with game fish at the top of the list. A good population of panfish and bass to provide a learning experience for the younger generation would suffice. Certainly all suggestions, such as you have, and all possibilities to maximize any improvement effort should be evaluated. :blink:

Dude, keep putting your 2 cents in. Eventually there will be a dollar. Why don't you come to the club and volunteer to organize a regular social night as you described? B)

it's the pattern with all the clubs, alot of it is the aging membership base, illnesses or worse shrinking the memberships while at the same time , the loss of interest by younger people as well cuz they want to see "what's in it for them". And some times a clash of opinion with the old/new ways of doing things and getting the clubs actively involved in different programs, fund raising ect. Some people want to do it for the social aspect. other's want to do it because of the way they feels about conservation and other issues, other for both.

There has to be some sort of social lure for people, don't know what they do at the SCGF but at the FECC there is dart night, euchre night, wood carving night, monthly social dinners, plus other club functions like holiday dinners, appreciation dinners, but for some that's why they want to join a club. And you have to try to have guest speakers at the regular meetings on a wide variety of subjects that strike interest in different groups of people, Thanks to Chilli, the FECC has some great monthly guest speakers lined up on a whole array of topics, every month, a different speaker will address a different topic.

As far as work party days go, it's hard to get people out for sure, and for the FECC for example, I go out when I can, it all voluntary, we have to keep up a big part of the propery there, trails ect,picinic tables, clean up the conservation area, there's the walleye rearing pond when it's the season, put nesting boxes/shelters out, someone put feed out for the birds ect around different locations of the property,make bird/bat houses for charity,schools,fundrasing, upkeep the building ect..and some times go around to different locations for different things off the property as well to help with nesting boxes,habitat restoration,keep watch of fish ladders ect..all of this is generally done on Thursday "work party day"..lunch is provided and even a free beer or 2 after as well, for all who put in a work day.

Other stuff is voluntary according to who ever may help out, or any trustee positions that people have been appointed for example..the walleye rearing pond,pheasant/turkey releases,kids fishing derby, a day that they give away and or plant trees/shrubs as part of habitat restoration

Most younger people either think they don't have the time to be an active member, or simply they think that there is nothing in it for them, but I am sure if they have some patience, get involved, voice some opinions that in the long run, they can help turn some of the clubs into some thing where there is "something in it for them" and back into what made some of these clubs what they have been and could be over the years since they where founded.

Tried the SCGF for two years. My 2 cents? :blink::dunno::D There was too much politics and no fun. Final turnoff was the yelling and fighting that took place at public events. The members were scaring the kids. Bad public presence.

Guest canadadude

Tried the SCGF for two years. My 2 cents? :blink::dunno::D There was too much politics and no fun. Final turnoff was the yelling and fighting that took place at public events. The members were scaring the kids. Bad public presence.

:P:P:P I was looking at the clubhouse yesturday would make a great Tackle Shop ;)

I'm still waiting for Rob Mcintosh to say something

Rob is too tired from the fishing show yesterday after I had him running around trying to get me a free hat. The man came through, and all it cost me was a few power baits. He da man!! :blink:

Guest BrownBomber

Here's a university student's impression of things.

After reading this thread I agree with the sentiments that attracting a younger membership base (highschool and university students) is certainly a good idea. I'll be honest and blunt, I would like to get involved somehow but my naive and uninformed impression of the club is that it is full of old boring guys rehashing the same old stories and arguing about the same old things. That's not to say I'm opposed to that kind of atmosphere, I love hearing fishing stories and everything. I've spoken to some of the older members a few times and I love hearing that sort of stuff. However, I think I'm a bit of an exception and I don't think the average university student would enjoy that.

Here's a few ideas on how to try and get university students involved in the club.

First off, like Tommy mentioned, they think they don't have time and this is true to a certain degree. As a university student I would like to get involved in but my time is limited due to studying and stuff. That being said if there were some exciting and fresh efforts put out to specifically target young people I think I would be more inclined to get involved.

Every year during Frosh Week there are booths set up for university clubs and activities. Why doesn't the SCGAF get a booth during Frosh Week? I think if there was a dynamic, energetic person there who was a good speaker they could get in there and interact with the students and get them aware about all the issues and opportunities we have in the Niagara Region. Maybe offer students free or really cheap membership fees?

Lake Gibson and Lake Moodie are right in Brock University's backyard so surely something can be done to attract students to fishing considering its so close. Perhaps organized fishing trips to these lakes could be something to get kids involved. There are tons of kids in residence who do jack squat on the weekends...why not get a pro in the community to take them up to Gibson or Moodie and teach them a thing or two. I think it would be super cool to have a veteran show me the ropes. A lot of these students come from up north or smaller towns where they fished as kids but when they get to university they don't think they have that opportunity but in reality they can.

Even on a broader scale, why not set up a booth in the mall or something and set up a little practice casting or something for kids of all ages to come by and try? If you get an energetic person there approaching kids I think it would be successful.

I think in the end what I'm really trying to get at is that if the club wants young people to get involved they have to go out and target them. The sad reality is university students are lazy and they need someone in their face telling them to get off their ass. I think an energetic, dynamic leader would do a lot in getting kids involved. Take a look at Dave Mercer for example, that guy is so outgoing and always laughing. I think that's super cool. I'm graduating this year so this summer I'll have a lot more time for things so please keep posting events/news on the board and I'll try and get involved in what I can.

Guest BrownBomber

I agree...Italo would be a great person to get in there. He has segments on his show that target kids (Fisher Girl and Adventures in Your Own Backyard I think) so I think he's obviously into that. I spoke to him at Bass Pro once and he was super friendly and very willing to talk so he's a good fit. And he live in the area...Welland I think. The question is if he wants to do it.

Italo's 2 minute youth slot is a neat gimmick, but it is made possible by adults getting the kids out and exposing them to our sport. To date I've gotten 4 kids posted as youth 'qualifiers' on his show. Point is ya gotta get the kids hooked. Try connecting with Scouting or with some of the local schools. Even high schools have outdoors clubs, but most teens don't have a clue about most fishing stars.All sorts of ideas and potential out there, but it all requires serious time, effort and commitment to turn into a reality, and it still has to be fun for all participants and organizers. :Gonefishing: It could be done but it won't be easy.

The reality is still your either all to bitter in St Catharines or too busy. There are plenty of anglers around without worrying about students. I would think your target audience should at least be on topic :Gonefishing: . Maybe hunting is already gone but fishermen there are plenty.

The club is primarily run by a sweet little old lady. At all events such as the upcoming Fort Erie Outdoor show, you can find her peddling raffle tickets etc doing what she can to keep this club afloat while you "Gentlemen" go fishing. There is little contact anymore from the MNR because she can't do that stuff and do the books and arrange kids day and and and.......

Hey the boats are coming back to fishermens peir. The ramps closing because no ones running it this year. What will it take? Social club dude??? Sure social events are cool. Who's going to arrange them? How are you going to pay for them? We've had them but with the exception of the last one, hardly anyone showed up. Come the end of this year the main backbone that held the clubs head above water is leaving.

I don't think we're any better here in Fort Erie for the record but I know at least 2 guys under 40 who will step up to the plate. I see one maybe in St Kitts and he's already said he won't if no one wants to help and I can't say I blame him abit. Dagmar should have left along time ago. Real estate B) It would simply take 10 St Catharines anglers to trump that. 10 commited officials could easily say, this is our land. You need 10 replacements for Dagmar or your sunk.

Hey Chilli, I thought you may appreciate the brainstorming going on here. We're on topic and we're all concerned. Anybody that took the time to post cares.

Ya but so far everybody says I can't and they are but a drop in the pool of area anglers

However....everybody will ask the same old, self based question...."Whats in it for me?" "Why should I volunteer?" "Why should I bother?" "What's the long term goal?"

now you sound like the old guard

EVERYBODY is going to ask that of themselves and of the club. Chilli, you can have 10 Dagmars running the club, but if participation is lacking, then obviously something needs to be done. Its not ONE thing, its probably a DOZEN things that need to be looked at and corrected.

If you have 10 Dagmars running the show you better order some bingo cards B) .

With the right 10 people in there Tommy you can have your social club again and it will be a great place to scuttlebutt.

I understand you're upset at the lack of hometown persons wanting to get involved, but ask yourself this: Who can realistically work and run the club full time. This is ideal for the rich, the retired and the busy bodies...Even though Bob, who was financially secure and retired couldn't do it. Its a committment to take up the throne....and a big one at that. Once you have a leader, the followers must approve as well.

:D:D:lol: I'm not upset but you should be. We've got a sweet deal up here in FE. Bingo Revs make it OK but I'm a doer not a spender. I wish guys would join here and start some new conservation programs. A few guys my age to have a pop with would be nice too! :lol: No one needs to work full time. I believe 4 meetings a year including an anual is all thats neccesary and no funtions, derbies or anything has to happen. You only need to raise enough funds to pay for the insurance, utilities and lease.

Here is a curve ball for anybody to answer..

"Why should the St.Catharines Game & Fish continue to exist?"

..and consider everything before you answer. Not as easy as it may seem.

Great question Tommy. This is what everybody in that City seems to have forgotten. It's not just about game dinners, stocking fish, releasing turkeys (which the MNR is doing without your help). Ask Dude how important his oppinion should be. The now retarded MNR is practically asking us how to run them. In Fort Erie and Port Colbourne we are approached on a regular basis, invited to stakeholders meeting etc to get our take on new regs, limits, slots etc. I've already seen my own input published on the news releases. I'm helping design the regs for back yard :lol: . Steve's got allot to gain by joining the Dunnville club.

This is a sportsmans club and as frontline "volunteer" staff we help monitor and regulate changes to the fisheries. We are most likley the first ones to spot problems and ration our own limits when nessecary. There is a whole network of clubs and agencies out there and the SCGFA hasn't been plugged in for years because no one has the time :Gonefishing: . That OFAH affiliation hasn't yet gone through to my knowledge. I'd Love the new secretary to ram that one through the hoop!

Here is a curve ball for anybody to answer..

"What does St Catharines stand to lose if the SCGFA ceases to exist?"

..and consider everything before you answer. Not as easy as it may seem.

If anyone ever wants to know when the next meeting is, please just click on my signiture. this month the Pheasant Forever guy will be there. The old guard cancelled the pheasant release program due to the fact that there are too many coyotes and the wild pheasants were basically genetically polluted so they can't survive. But now the OFAH is experimenting with a new "blue" strain in Lambton County and breeding in the wild is a success. Hey if you guys can scrounge up a donation or get a few hands dirty, maybe you can plant some habitat for them to eat once they're ready to transplant into the area :)

Dan -over and OUT B)

good point on the birds Chilli, something I already brought up at the FECC and as far as Terry knows,the plug hasn't been pulled on the pheasant release this year, being trustee partners with him for habitat restoration (tree/shrubs) I was giving some insite as to some research I was doing on creating pheasant habitat, food plots, nesting/wintering habitat, and going to suggest that the budget for the pheasant/turkey release program be used for building habitat like you had mentioned, and was told that we will still be getting the birds, if it turns out that we don't have a pheasant release this year for some of the reasons that you mentioned, I am going to put forth a motion to use the budget toward habitat regeneration for the future of the pheasant release program to help keep it afloat instead of squashing the program just because we didn't get birds one year and people think there is no use for the program any more, but there is for the future if you think about it, there's more to it then just letting a few birds go in the bush.

Archived