Will I run for President?

Dan Andrews

:dunno: I typed up a real good one for all you bench sitters but somebody sent me a P/M and I lost my post,It would have got the nuke anyway. When I have a bit more time I will re-write it and see what happens.Some of you know my thoughts on this and I have made posts before but stay tuned because it will be the best one yet and just maybe it will straighten out some of the wantabe club members but can't get of there A$$ to keep this club going. Gee if it does go down how does The Niagara Anglers Asso. sound atleast I know I will get a 20 year lease.

Guest canadadude

:dunno: I typed up a real good one for all you bench sitters but somebody sent me a P/M and I lost my post,It would have got the nuke anyway. When I have a bit more time I will re-write it and see what happens.Some of you know my thoughts on this and I have made posts before but stay tuned because it will be the best one yet and just maybe it will straighten out some of the wantabe club members but can't get of there A$$ to keep this club going. Gee if it does go down how does The Niagara Anglers Asso. sound atleast I know I will get a 20 year lease.

Canadadude Bait and Tackle sounds much better :lol::huh:

Guest canadadude

<_< I typed up a real good one for all you bench sitters but somebody sent me a P/M and I lost my post,It would have got the nuke anyway. When I have a bit more time I will re-write it and see what happens.Some of you know my thoughts on this and I have made posts before but stay tuned because it will be the best one yet and just maybe it will straighten out some of the wantabe club members but can't get of there A$$ to keep this club going. Gee if it does go down how does The Niagara Anglers Asso. sound atleast I know I will get a 20 year lease.

Robbie been thinking about a completly new association/club and really this is the best idea going!! Let the SCGAF die it's death and get rid of all the crap thats gone on with it for so long and start fresh :) Good thinking again Robbie :rolleyes::rolleyes: See ya at the first meeting the N.A.A :huh:

Guest johnlevick

I'll throw in my two cents worth as I considered joining over a year ago. Heard enough horror stories to stay away. One of the big problems with volunteer organizations is governance. The structure and constitution of the organization usually dictates how it carries out its mandate. The proper use of parliamentary rules like Robert's or Weinberg's help to maintain order. In this case break the rules -shouting, profanity, abusive behaviour lead to fine, loss of privilege then ultimately expulsion. Here's several questions

Has the constitution been looked at recently? What is the actual purpose of this club other than a prime launch location? Other than Kid's day and a derby what activities reach out to the community in general?

Fishing and hunting is under a lot of pressure in urban Canada. Many don't like us or what we represent. Some say they are the enemy, but I say the enemy lies within.

Guest canadadude

I had an idea the clubhouse could be the new Port Posse club house :D Now all we need is black leather fishing vests with a logo on the back so we can display the colours :unsure::unsure: Maybe a troutie with devil horns " Trout Before Dishonour" :oB)

I'll throw in my two cents worth as I considered joining over a year ago. Heard enough horror stories to stay away. One of the big problems with volunteer organizations is governance. The structure and constitution of the organization usually dictates how it carries out its mandate. The proper use of parliamentary rules like Robert's or Weinberg's help to maintain order. In this case break the rules -shouting, profanity, abusive behaviour lead to fine, loss of privilege then ultimately expulsion. Here's several questions

Has the constitution been looked at recently? What is the actual purpose of this club other than a prime launch location? Other than Kid's day and a derby what activities reach out to the community in general?

Fishing and hunting is under a lot of pressure in urban Canada. Many don't like us or what we represent. Some say they are the enemy, but I say the enemy lies within.

Well said John. I've highlighted what I believe are the clubs primary failures. All that is needed is one civil minded leader who can keep order and yes throw out those who try to rule by out shouting. You never yell at volunteers or they give the club the finger and spread the word. Rob posted he has an earfull for the wannabe club members but unfortunately that's the problem. No one wants to be a member anymore. Sorry Rob but this approach is the wrong one.

10 guys willing to work with each other and able to accept a majority decision without beating a hornets nest like a (pin-yata) can take that club over right now and do great things but they better step up quick while the few who do are still willing to show them the ropes.

Hey guys I wasn't looking to stir up a debate or start a blame game as is what usually happens in St Catharines. I was trying to put the bug back out there as you boys are running out of time. That club is there for the taking. If you say it sucks then you are only insulting yourself and your community. If you want to start a new club, be my guest but don't try to dissasemble the G&F in order to do it. Not only is that underhanded but it's a sure way to doom your new club before it even gets started. You'll never get me to join that way.

Dan

Guest canadadude

The game and fish will dissassemble itself with no help from anyone!!!!It's only a matter of time!!It's not only the bickering and fighting there are worse problems in the club!!!

Guest bigfish1965

Dan;

I would certainly support you and your desires to be president. I know you would do a fantastic job. The FE club has issues not dissimilar to the SCGFA.

I love the SCGFA and have been a member on and off for 30 years. Here's the real issue..it is not the people, it is the structure of the organization. The times have changed and the SCGFA has been unwilling or unable to change with them. This is evidenced by the lack of membership in the under 35 years old category.

The members are often too involved with their own issues to look at the big picture. It is time for the SCGFA and toher groups to learn from successful groups like the OFAH.

They have evolved and have made changes to become not only a group of concerned anglers and hunters but of a group that has an impact and is relevant. The SCGFA has lost all relevance.

In order to bring it back it has to stop doing things the way they have for the last 30 years. Times have changed and they must change with them. They are not a voice for concerned anglers, they do not advocate for the angler and they have not capitalized on the internet.

You garner membership by being visible. Visibility today is different than 30 or even 10 years ago. The demands on peoples times are also different. Use the internet to your advantage. Build a website with far more interactive features and communication tools.

Stop mailing people newsletters and make them sign up for email or come to the meetings to get one. This saves so much time and money

Start advocating for anglers. Petition the NOTL council to drop their new Fishing Permit bylaw. Make noise!

But do it all very professionally.It isn't about speaking the loudest, but about speaking the clearest. No one wins arguments by shouting, they win by being CORRECT.

Encourage debate in a lively manner with rules that are meant to keep people respectful, not silent.

Just like the fish we seek, the organization must learn to adapt to the new and changing surroundings or face extinction. The choice is theirs, but natural selection waits for no one.

They must seek leaders with vision and with the ability to communicate that vision. They must encourage the young, the old and everyone in between to be a part of the group and to make sure that each member is assigned a role with which they are able, happy and effective with. There is no need for anyone who wants to make a difference to not be given that chance. It is a failure to expect the elders to continually take the burden of enterprise. The young must be made aware that even though they are new their membership is equally important and their input and their volunteerism is cherished and not just tolerated.

Rebuilding the organization requires a complete dedication to team-building and to unparalleled cooperation. Those is charge must be intrinsically aware of this.

It cannot succeed otherwise.

The game and fish will dissassemble itself with no help from anyone!!!!It's only a matter of time!!It's not only the bickering and fighting there are worse problems in the club!!!

The sky is falling!

Dude...is it even possible for you to try and find a way to HELP instead of find fault. Any fool can find a problem. It takes grit and leadership to find workable solutions.

;) Thank you Bigfish1965. A most refreshing clearing of the air. A clear summation of the problems and the challenges. If we want it we have to work for it, but we have to be willing to change.

:lol: You hit it right on the head Bigfishmixed-smiley-017.gifThat was what I tried to do but when you deal with a bunch of anglers that are to use to the old days and the way it was it was impossible to try and change their way of thinking. I had to fold on most of the new ideas or a differant direction that I wanted the club to go. Finally when they got a - - - - - - - - - - - - commander in chief to run the show it was time for me to just step right away and I wish that I hadn't because he did what I thought he would do, take his - - - - - - - and just run away and leave them to vis.gif themselves. The only good thing was getting Jerry to step in and try to keep it going. But with the only one that knows what is going on finish's her year out and leaves I don't know what will happen. The best thing would be for someone to get in there now to help her with kids day and learn the ropes and keep kids day going. I know that you all know my feelings and how I was tret with the games and lies that were said against me it would be hard for me to step back in.But I would be there to direct and help the one that stands up an pulls the cart to keep it going. This is a good club and there are lots of things to complete in 2007,8,9 and for the future. :o

After reading this thread, its sounds like the right people for the club are right here. Instead of one President why not have the whole "Pt Posse" run it by comitee? Instead of all the weight on one person.

They are willing to change and have been asking us what to do for awhile. Especially since Navy Boy quit. Yes the news letter idea I brought up was thrown back at me but if a motion was made it could be forced but someone else would have to write it. It's that simple. If you want the club to change, you have to be willing to do the work.

Nows who's willing to pitch in and run a club St Catharines can be proud of and return that place back to the MNR meetings, send a rep to the OFAH meetings and give them some political clout so when they do try to collect a permit fee for fishing the peir, we can say "I DON'T THINK SO"!

Nuff said. Spread the word around St Kitts that an election is coming this fall. New people and their ideas are needed, go now and learn the basics. Don't wait until the week before the election. :Gonefishing:

Now Bigfish lets talk about that net upgrade :Gonefishing:

Guest canadadude

I must say Chillie this is one of the hot topics discussed at port with boys fish'in!!! Not alot of positive feedback yet but at least some concern is being shown!!! I am surprised on how many people have an opinion and are truelly interested in the club!! Now if we can get all these people myself included to put in more of an effort there may still be a chance for the club!! My personal opinion is this may be a tough road to travel there are lots of negatives that need to be overcome!!Now please don't bite my head off for suggesting there is alot of negative feelings about the club this is just my observations!! :Gonefishing:

:D You all know that if a group of younger anglers decided to take this club and get it going all the crap would stop.Because there would be enough anglers to back each other not like when I tried to make a change and all the wheelchairs tried to run me over.Plus once they see that they can not over run the young bucks they will stay away.It is a good club and should not close because another one will never open and the $$$$$ boys will scoop up the land and we will loose the best ramp in niagara, The ramp can bring in around 19 to 21 thousand a season, It depends on the weather.This is enough cash to keep kids day and 2 derbys going but not leave to much for improvements, thats where the membership cash comes in and 200 members don't leave much. I think if someone stands up you will get lots of help and as long as there is 5 to 10 that are willing to share the load it can be done. I myself would stand up again but after getting my legs cut out from under me I am a little chainsaw shy,The 15 years that I did put in would be a big help to the new regime with running kids day,spring & fall derby and just the plain running of the club. I am sure that Dagmar would be willing to help out with the 2008 kids day to show the ropes as well.Come on guy's this is just one more thing that we all are letting fall thru the cracks to the ones that just say NO TIME.

Guest canadadude

:D You all know that if a group of younger anglers decided to take this club and get it going all the crap would stop.Because there would be enough anglers to back each other not like when I tried to make a change and all the wheelchairs tried to run me over.Plus once they see that they can not over run the young bucks they will stay away.It is a good club and should not close because another one will never open and the $$$$$ boys will scoop up the land and we will loose the best ramp in niagara, The ramp can bring in around 19 to 21 thousand a season, It depends on the weather.This is enough cash to keep kids day and 2 derbys going but not leave to much for improvements, thats where the membership cash comes in and 200 members don't leave much. I think if someone stands up you will get lots of help and as long as there is 5 to 10 that are willing to share the load it can be done. I myself would stand up again but after getting my legs cut out from under me I am a little chainsaw shy,The 15 years that I did put in would be a big help to the new regime with running kids day,spring & fall derby and just the plain running of the club. I am sure that Dagmar would be willing to help out with the 2008 kids day to show the ropes as well.Come on guy's this is just one more thing that we all are letting fall thru the cracks to the ones that just say NO TIME.

Well said Robbie :D:) you'll get my vote even though I lost the younger angler status years ago!! I can still be part of the old as dirt group :):D

Archived