"pike off"

jwl

Just thought I would start another thread so we aren't jumping all over paulyboy's one he started the other day which seemed to get the interest going again about another "pike off" for2007.

Seems like guys are interested for sure in something like this happening again, and guys have ideas of throwing other fish in the mix as well.

Do you guys think that this would get too hard to judge this way? for example, if you add bass in the mix,every where you go in the Niagara region has bass in the summer, it's easy to have a 50 fish day some times, and there would be hundreds of fish entered if you think about it,and even more if the bass tourney guys get in on that one, and not an easy fish to judge by length measurement,same with something like panfish(crappies) some guys go out and catch 100 in a day,again makeing it hard to judge who actually got the "biggest" one, if you threw walleye in the mix for example, that wouldn't work out to well for the shore anglers, the odd guy might get a few little ones here and there,and a few people know where to get bigger ones from shore, but it would be us guys with the boats who could get out on the lake and catch the big ones ito the 30 incher 10-12lb range. Trout I can see no problem, and depending on where you are fishing and any new regs that might pop up for 2007...as of right now, pike and steelies are open all year long, and much easier to judge by length if that's what we are going by. Might however be fun to have a multispecies thing going to see who winds up with the most different species caught for the year, but think that would run into a few snags if you where trying to count biggest fish for a few species for sure. Dunno just thought it looks like a few guys are interested and a few different ideas where put out there.

it's all in good fun,bragging rights ect, the "survivor " fishing thing was a pretty good time, now we just gotta track down the guy who has the money collected every week :lol:

I think as far as pike go, shore and boat works. Maybe have 1st and 2nd for more entries.

Don't think the number of fish caught is right as some cannot get onto the water as much as others,

so that would not be fair at all. Some of us live five minutes from various waters, and that would give us

an unfair advantage.

If other species are considered this year, again, I believe it should be determined by length, whether it

be bass, carp, trout, whatever. Over all length, not numbers or weight is the best in my opinion.

Also as mentioned before, this is NFN and I think the boundaries should be set close to Niagara.

Maybe Hamilton across to the Grand River and part of Lake Erie and of course the Niagara area.

Toronto, as last year, nah, to far, and not part of Niagara.

Guest Rockfish

Boston had a good set of rules last year, maybe we can use those again with a couple changes and also maybe use the same NFN sign but add a visible 2007 or '07 in a corner. :)

:lol:

Ok, I did a search for the rules for last years pike-off that Boston and I put together and posted them below. Please take the time to read them and offer suggestions on what should be changed/stayed the same for this year and we'll put together the final rules list based on your input. These rules were changed a few times and finalized for last year so I feel they are fair, but they are always open for new suggestions.

1. Post a picture in the official thread of your entry. More than one entry is allowed.

2. Fish must be a Northern pike,(not a gar or alike)

3. Fish must be caught in the Niagara Region,to stay in tune with the NFN theme, plus one hours drive anywhere outside the region. This covers Hamilton down to dunville, Toronto Islands, plus area's on the American side. Honesty, is the best policy on this one. just try to keep it as local as possible.

4. Photo of fish must have an NFN logo in the picture, not an added logo afterwards. A NFN hat, t-shirt, printed logo or anything with the NFN logo is a must. Thongs are questionable.

5. A measuring device such as a tape measure must be in the photo to accurately judge "overall length" of fish. The measuring device must clearly indicate size, so it helps with a tape measure that gives large markings for every 12".

6. Contest run's from now until november 15th 2007

7. the winner's of the contest will be recognized at the year end christmas swill, By having the longest "overall length" measured fish in the contest. one from a boat and one from a shore angler.

8. Two or three anonymous judges have/will be appionted to resovle any issues that may

arise in the judgement of fish lengths, judges descisions are final.

9. By popluar demand. There will be two catagories decided in this contest of biggest Pike, one will be caught from a boat (non shoreline angling methods (float tubes, inflatable boats, etc) and the other will be caught from shore. Just to make it fair to everyone.

10. All MNR rules and regulations apply. Exception>> NO spear fishing allowed.

11. Member who enters pike in contest must have at least 50 posts overall in these forums to enter fish.

12. NO TNT.

What's on the line.

1. Bragging right's and the title of NFN Pike GoooRoooo for one year!

2. An NFN baseball hat for sure and possibly more to be donated throughout the year.

Woohoo...another new species to buy hundreds of dollar of gear for :D . Nothing like buying fishing gear. And to those of you who are going to say I can use the spinning gear I have now, I say you better not post it anywhere where my wife may read it. :worthy:

Well unfortunately, according to the rules, I'm out. Woodstock is a good 1 1/2 hrs away from the Niagara region. I will still post what I catch but when I get the one that's the winner :worthy: , I just won't be able to collect the recognition of "Pike Guru 2007" :D . I wish you all luck in the 2007 Pike off!

Will be watching from the sidelines.

PB

I guess we just gotta decide if it's gonna be a "pike off" or a "sunfish off" heck if the idea of multi-species over all length thing came into play, all you need is a bobber and a little peice of worm in the summer and you can catch a mile worth of pumpkin seeds every day :D:worthy: and not even have to try to catch "the big one". The fish should have to at least be bigger than the print out of the NFN logo :lol::worthy:

and also if ya think about it, catching a "big" pike in the Niagara Region is a good challenge, I know, I caught at least 50 last year and couldn't even crack the 30" mark to challenge Scottydog's 32" er. And really if you put some thought into it, there are quite a few little places around the Niagara region, that you can catch pike if you set out to find them, I can think of like a dozen or so spots(bodies of water)where you can get em when the timing is right, and the time is going to be right for a couple of them in a matter of weeks if you don't include the hard water. :worthy:

Guest Rockfish

Maybe add a second and third place winner, to make it more interesting and also add an '07 to the printed out NFN logo from last year. ( opps already said that :D )

Last year I caught about 35 Pike from my trips out that way and most of them were under the 2 ft mark (snot rockets) through the summer. So big Pike still would be challenging for this area unless u know the right time and the spots to go to.

:worthy:

I'm all for another Pike off, with the same rules as last year is fine.

I also caught many small pikes last year and would like to find some big ones.

I think the pike off should start as soon as the ice is gone.

For those interested in multi species maybe have a different contest like the survivor series from last year, maybe meet at a specified place once a month on the last weekend, every month go for a different species depending on the time of year etc...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rockfish

The 2007 Regs with the new zones still seems to be delayed and I still get this when I do a Google search.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/csb/news/2006/nov6nr_06.html

I was talking to knightfisher about the start of the Pike 0ff and since it started at the end of Feb. last year maybe we can get this started and use the 2006 Regs until the new ones are out. So Pike in Div. 3, the Niagara area inland are open all year right now. They will be closed in Div. 8, Lake Ontario from April 1 - 1st Saturday in May and closed in Div. 4 from April 1- 2'nd Sat in May. As Richard said as soon as the ice is out is a good time to start.

:Gonefishing:

Archived