2007 NFN Pike Off

Pope29

With the Ice Derby out of the way it's time to roll into something new. Here is a c & p of last years rules, they seemed to serve the purpose. Any ammendments should be made in the next week or two before ice out. This one is kinda informal and it does manage to get people together to fish, which is what it's all about. If there are any clerical duties I'll be happy to take them on. The perch will be in at Abino soon and there's likely to be a few lunker pike mixed in, so get fishin!!!!

1. Post a picture in the official thread of your entry. More than one entry is allowed.

2. Fish must be a Northern pike,(not a gar or alike)

3. Fish must be caught in the Niagara Region,to stay in tune with the NFN theme, plus one hours drive anywhere outside the region. This covers Hamilton down to dunville, Toronto Islands, plus area's on the American side. Honesty, is the best policy on this one. just try to keep it as local as possible.

4. Photo of fish must have an NFN logo in the picture, not an added logo afterwards. A NFN hat, t-shirt, printed logo or anything with the NFN logo is a must. Thongs are questionable.

5. A measuring device such as a tape measure must be in the photo to accurately judge "overall length" of fish. The measuring device must clearly indicate size, so it helps with a tape measure that gives large markings for every 12".

6. Contest run's from now until november 15th 2007

7. the winner's of the contest will be recognized at the year end christmas swill, By having the longest "overall length" measured fish in the contest. one from a boat and one from a shore angler.

8. Two or three anonymous judges have/will be appionted to resovle any issues that may

arise in the judgement of fish lengths, judges descisions are final.

9. By popluar demand. There will be two catagories decided in this contest of biggest Pike, one will be caught from a boat (non shoreline angling methods (float tubes, inflatable boats, etc) and the other will be caught from shore. Just to make it fair to everyone.

10. All MNR rules and regulations apply. Exception>> NO spear fishing allowed.

11. Member who enters pike in contest must have at least 50 posts overall in these forums to enter fish.

12. NO TNT.

What's on the line.

1. Bragging right's and the title of NFN Pike GoooRoooo for one year!

2. An NFN baseball hat for sure and possibly more to be donated throughout the year.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You learned something from Bowen didn't you.

"just do it" :wacko:

Thanks for taking the lead Pope. We could have talked about this until christmas.

I think the rules are fine the way they are.

Let's go fishing. :P

I'll see what I can find to donate.

well so what's going on for this deal anyways...lets start er up :P , I have been into some pike already, got one a couple days ago, and also just a few minutes ago :lol::wacko: and it wasn't on the ice :P , no pics though, the one a few minutes ago was just a little guy, but pike none the less

Alright!!!

I'm all set to go piking again this year, and with the weather warming up might even get into some pike sooner than last year.

Only one question, do we use the same logo as last year or is there a new one???

Guest Rockfish

Good to see that a thread is started when we were waiting to see if there were going to be Pike closures in the Niagara region with the new regs. Although it could take until X-mas for them to come out. :P

Since alot of us still have NFN logo signs from last year, it should be good enough to just put an '07 in a corner.

Also how about a second place for each of the 2 categories for longest lengths ?

Just to make things more interesting.

:wacko:

Good to see that a thread is started when we were waiting to see if there were going to be Pike closures in the Niagara region with the new regs. Although it could take until X-mas for them to come out. :P

Since alot of us still have NFN logo signs from last year, it should be good enough to just put an '07 in a corner.

Also how about a second place for each of the 2 categories for longest lengths ?

Just to make things more interesting.

:wacko:

The year has already been changed on the logo. If there is reg changes so be it...we'll work around them. Prime pike fishing coming up soon and everyones diddling around on the start date.Again, this is quite informal and it's most of a year long. We could sit around forever waiting for the changes, when/if there are any we'll adapt. O

What could more interesting than having to beat the largest pike??? Beating the second largest pike doesn't sound very interesting.

with the old regs

Division 8 and 3 ... which is open at this current time and which is open in April?

I ask because i think i tossed my regs thinking the new ones were around the corner and i dont have time right now to google them up since Im off to work!

if you look at the 2006 regs, Div 2 is open all year too, that's lake Erie, and the Upper Niagara, all the "inland" water is Div3..(the creeks, Welland River ect..)

I have been catching a couple :wacko::lol: so looks like next time I go, I'm bringing the logo along just incase this deal is started..haven't seen a start date yet but if it's sticking to the NFN theme..pike is open all year in parts of the Niagara Region for sure, so sticking to following the regs, pike is fair game some where, guys will just have to do thier leg work and find out where they can fish for em and where they might be this time of year, I know where I catch em :P

well if the start date was yesterday, I should have taken a pic of the one I caught, I would have had the first entry :lol::lol: , I will get one in the morning :lol:

Then it's almost time to try out the spot I got my biggest one last year in the Niagara Region, that was before I was elligible to or even knew about entering the "pike off" pretty sure it would have been the winner, no worry, lots of places to get pike within a 1/2 hour from my house, been catching pike around Niagara since I was a kid :lol:

Guest Rockfish

What could more interesting than having to beat the largest pike??? Beating the second largest pike doesn't sound very interesting.

Having a second place was also a suggestion that knightfisher had made in the other thread because Rick had said that he was disappointed in the amount of entries that there were. It was just a suggestion and we can stay with the same rules as last year. :lol:

what about the entries are emailed to someone who is administering the contest so that people dont see the leader and say MY FISH ISNT BIG ENOUGH I WONT POST IT

or instead of second .. total pike inches also for a prize?

Im pretty sure if you put all my 12 inchers together i would have been close!

I'm no part of this comp. this year, but my two cents is that by adding inches together will not work, because people can re-post the same pike over and over again just in different positions and add up the lengths. Most wouldn't do it, but there would be those that those few that would. To keep it true, honest and interesting stick with the longest single fish. Have fun gentleman

PickerelHunter....don't they have pike in the down under ? Hope things on the other side of the globe are fine ! Bet you are having some warm weather down there ! Hope you can send us a few pictures to tease us us chappies in the great white north . I'd say your right about not adding up the inches ....there are places full of "handles" . Nice to hear from you PH...........good on ya ! :)

I think half the fun is trying to get the biggest "1" fish, it's not that people weren't fishing for them, there where entries up until Scottydog got the 32"er, then no one could beat it, that's what makes half the fun of the challenge,once someone catches a decent sized one, a goal is set to beat it, would be hard to judge who a winner is when everyone catches the 24-27 inchers, breaking the 30inch range in the Niagara Region is the good challenge

Guest Rockfish

I think half the fun is trying to get the biggest "1" fish, it's not that people weren't fishing for them, there where entries up until Scottydog got the 32"er, then no one could beat it, that's what makes half the fun of the challenge,once someone catches a decent sized one, a goal is set to beat it, would be hard to judge who a winner is when everyone catches the 24-27 inchers, breaking the 30inch range in the Niagara Region is the good challenge

There was "1" entry before Scotty's which was mine at a plump 28 " that stood for about 6 weeks as the leader in the Spring and it wasn't even a big one. :)

what about the entries are emailed to someone who is administering the contest so that people dont see the leader and say MY FISH ISNT BIG ENOUGH I WONT POST IT

I like this idea and I don't. It would definately increase the amount submitted fish but it wouldn't give us a set goal, which is what all individual sport "athletes :) " try to attain.

Any ideas who the administer could be????

Guest canadadude

On another board I visit they have a similiar contest for Steelhead and the members are encouraged to Banner all steelhead caught!! There is a seperate forum set up for "Bannered Steelhead" the response is huge but I'm not sure how the winner is awarded or if there are multiple winners eg: smallest,fatest, longest! I mean if we encourage all pike to be bannered then set up a seperate forum perhaps it would increase the entries :)

Guest Rockfish

I don't have a printer for the new Logo and nobody I know has a working colour one. The Logo I have from last year is one I got from Smerch, so since this is still informal, I am just adding an '07 to it until I find someone to donate me a new one for a coffee. :P

B)

Archived