My first boat

Guest chilli

Guest chilli

I was given a boat the other day. It's a heavy fiberglass rowboat. I suppose I could relace the rotting transom and throw on a 9.9

Now if I drop this sucker in the Welland river, can I fish with two poles? Not that I would because I'd be too busy keeping it straight or plucking the rockbass and gobies off the kids lines.

Also do you need a permit or anything to throw a boat in the water now adays besides common sense.

row1.jpg

Looks good chilli! The only place you can use two poles is in the big lakes, so the Welland River is out of the Question. You don't need a permit for the boat unless the motor is larger then 9.9hp, then you must register the boat. The only other thing I can think of is if you trailer the boat, that will need a license plate as well. Cheers!!

Guest pat kirby

Chilli, you will need the basic saftey kit, bailing bucket, whistle, 50 yd floating heaving line and a flashlight. It is available as a kit around $20.00. All water craft need these items, saliboards, canoes, row boats and so on. Pat

Guest chilli
Chilli, you will need the basic saftey kit, bailing bucket, whistle, 50 yd floating heaving line and a flashlight.  It is available as a kit around $20.00.  All water craft need these items, saliboards, canoes, row boats and so on.  Pat

68[/snapback]

Pat, what exactly is a heaving line? I purchased 2 ropes. One for tying up (yellow Nylon) and one for an anchor (100 foot white braid) that shows a boat on the package. When I was north this year, all the boats had the kit (cannister) that you were talking about but I never opened it. Is there a floating line in there?

Thanks ................. Dan

Pat, what exactly is a heaving line? I purchased 2 ropes. One for tying up (yellow Nylon) and one for an anchor (100 foot white braid) that shows a boat on the package. When I was north this year, all the boats had the kit (cannister) that you were talking about but I never opened it. Is there a floating line in there?

Thanks  .................  Dan

71[/snapback]

Hey Chili, the rope is 50' long nylon yellow and has a hand size float at the end. should come with any kit, but check it out first. separately they are around $10. Don't forget an anchor, paddles, and if you add an outboard you might need a 5BC fire extinguisher but that might just be for inboard gas tanks. you can do a search online, punch in ontario boating safety or something like that. John.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Sharp looking craft there chilli!! Will you be naming her? I guess I will be seeing you out on the Bar this winter??? ;)

Guest chilli

Thanks bucketmouth. The ex is a great idea. As for the bar Bri, :o I'm not crazy. It's an old fibreglass row boat, with paddles I might add. I have too much respect for the river to go out there in that! :o

The only way your going to see me out there is if an old sea captain like yourself takes me out there. I'll be sticking to the small waters untill the lottery buys me a bigger boat and I don't play the lottery. ;)

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Let me know and we will hit the Lake for some Salmon fishin,I'm free every day ;)

But you could launch at Niagara on the Lake,a short row out to the Bar :o

Who are you calling OLD!!! :o

Archived