2007 Deer Hunt

Jen

It all began with meeting the people I would be hunting with for the week. There were seven of us in total with a couple added for a day or two. Steve (), Sherri and Steve C., Paul, Blaine, Kiko, and Bruce.

Monday started out at 6:00am with extremely cold weather and a whole lot of excitement. We had sighted in our guns the day before with Challenger Slugs at 75 yards. Everyone was ready to go.

I had no idea that hunting would be such hard work. We must have walked at least 4000 acres this week.

By Wednesday evening we had two Deer hanging both 8 Point Bucks, one weighing in at what we figured was just over 200lbs with a beautiful rack belonging to Blain and the other was an 8 Point as well but somewhat smaller taken by Steve () however it ended up being a four point buck because it's antler broke when it was shot.

On Tuesday, on block (which for non hunters means you are the one that is suppose to shoot the deer when the doggers push them out of the bush) I had two doe's jump right over me. This being my first time hunting I ducked rather than pointing my gun at them. I hadn't realized how big these animals are when running right at you. This happened on several occasions ... deer there and me not firing or firing way to late.

By Wednesday night I wasn't sure I would be able to fire at a deer at all. Kiko and Blaine were heading home so we spent the evening cleaning and preparing the first 8 Point buck for them to take with them back to Huntsville. Again I was terribly intrigued with the entire procedure... including the wonderful meal we had of loin cut right from the deer. My mouth waters just thinking of it.

Thursday came and everyone was too worn out to do the morning hunt. There were also many chores that needed to be done.

Steve and I headed out in the afternoon to sit and wait for the deer to come to us. The amazing part of this whole week was all the things I saw that I had never noticed in the past. Rabbits, birds, squirrels, coyotes not to mention the tracks left behind by all sorts of animals... there wasn't a moment that went by that I was not in awe of something. If I had bigger pockets they would have been filled with all the wonderful finds I had discovered while walking through the forests of Southern Ontario. The memories would have to due though; as I was supposed to be hunting... so back to concentrating I went. There is nothing like watching the sun set across an open field, night quickly approaching as you listen to animals all around you awaken and start moving around. Yes, I will have to admit it was somewhat scary.

Friday morning re-energized yet still sore we gathered again with a game plan and agenda for the day. After pushing the first bush with no luck we stopped for lunch... onto the second bush I was on block, on a corner joining bush to field, Steve and Paul were dogging (pushing the deer out of the forest) and Steve C. was blocking the other side of the field.

This is when I saw for the first time what Antlers look like coming through dense forest... they sway! From side to side... A Buck was walking straight towards me. Oh NOOO was my first thought as I raised my gun... if this animal runs towards me I know for sure I will die of a heart attack... and I waited... watched as it looked to my left and then to my right taking a step forward... it didn't see me, I had a shot... Head down on my gun, sights lined up I remembered that I had sighted my gun in for 75 yards... this animal was standing maybe 10 to 15 feet from me... I dropped the barrel figuring the slug would climb, removed the safety, checked the bush behind my target, both looking and listening then slowly pulled the trigger. He fell... tears filled my eyes... I had actually managed to shoot my first deer...

There are many moments beyond this that I could share, of what went through my mind, my heart and my soul however to put them to words would not do the feelings justice... The end point being I had accomplished what I had come there to do. What I have worked towards this year in studying and mentoring. I was now in that moment a true hunter... still with so very much to learn.

On the gound was an 11 Point Buck... wow came to mind.

On Saturday morning I shot my second deer, a button buck. It came through the bush injured from a shot Paul had taken... I raised my gun, sighted it in again checked behind my target and shot. This animal did not fall but kept moving to find a quiet place at the base of a tree. As I stood watching it Steve () approached, yet again that feeling filled my mind heart and soul... to those that hunt you understand what I am talking about to those that do not hunt it is indescribable... A combination of pride, sadness and accomplishment all rolled into one.

Thank you so much to Steve (), Steve and Sherri, Blaine, Kiko, Bruce, and Paul for including me in your group this year. Without each and every one of you, your advice, help and guidance I would not have managed to experience all the joys of hunting. You are an incredibly brilliant group of people. Again THANK YOU!

11 Point Buck Shot at 12:00 Noon, December 7, 2007.

GetAttachment1.jpg

Very well written Jen !! And congrats on your first deer . Many hunters have succumed to buck fever but you held your cool and hit the target ! :lol:

" A combination of pride, sadness and accomplishment all rolled into one" .....As a former hunter, that feeling will probably never leave you . I felt the same with the last moose I shot about 5 yrs.ago .........Thanks for the trip back my hunting days , and enjoy some of finest venison anywhere !

Guest fishmaster

Great story Jen and it was my pleasure to have you along for your 1st Deer Hunting trip ever...

The week was awesome with laughter and happiness as we started to hunt monday morning ...the trip was filled with great people good eats and good drinks after our days hunt we worked very hard to make your trip a good one just like Kiko that has never hunted Deer in Ontario before ..there was nothing better then walking outa the bush and seeing Jen with her 1st deer and a Trophy Buck to boot ...Thanks again Jen and too all that joined us for a Great December Shot Gun Hunt ...here are a few more pictures ...Steve aka

misc2007002.jpg

GetAttachment1.jpg

PaulSteve.jpg

misc2007095.jpg

misc2007094.jpg

misc2007069.jpg

Archived