Wild Mushroom hunting

Gil

It looks like a good year for mushrooms . I usually get some in October but it may be earlier this year with the rains lately to get them started .

My back yard looked like a mushroom farm a few days ago ....hundreds of these little 1 -1 1/2"  ' toad stools' . They have thin stems and smell like shrooms , but I'm not sure if they're edible . They don't last long , all gone today . They may be springing up from the apple tree roots I cut down a few years ago  , getting more each year .

here is a small portion of them in the grass .....

Yard Shrooms.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow...what a flash back....must be the mushrooms man.....far out...trippy....I see myself....old account....2008...in this post....must have been a good batch because it's now 11 years later 😳...yikes !!@!!.....my old reference was to finding a puffball...and making a lasagna with it...using thin slices of the puffball fried in butter as a substitute for the noodles in your favorite lasagna recipe

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/12/2019 at 10:58 AM, Gerry said:

I am from Niagara region myself and love to forage. Fall time is the best time to forage and am wondering if there is anyone out there who wants to team up in the near future..  Message me If you are interested or if you know about any mushroom groups in this region.

Gerry, I am also from the Niagara region and interested in beginning my foraging journey!

Have you had a chance to go out this season? Any local known spots to forage?

Reach out on facebook - Derrick Hill

On 9/12/2019 at 10:58 AM, Gerry said:

I am from Niagara region myself and love to forage. Fall time is the best time to forage and am wondering if there is anyone out there who wants to team up in the near future..  Message me If you are interested or if you know about any mushroom groups in this region.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to mushroom foraging and would like to join a small group in the Niagara region to explore the area.

Reach out via email or Facebook.

Derrick Hill

• 7 months later...

In the Niagara region as well and would love to learn more about wild mushrooms. Learning a lot about mushrooms in general, starting to grow them at home. I Have not had much success locating them in the wild though, would love to team up or help start a group with this similar interest. 

On 10/16/2020 at 6:13 AM, Derrick said:

Hi Everyone,

I am new to mushroom for aging , and would like to join a small group in the Niagara region to explore the area.

Reach out via email or Facebook.

Derrick Hill

Are you elderly  Derrick ?  lol   I am an old mushroom picker and have had good and bad years finding shrooms in the wild . Last year was a bust and I think this year may also be the same ...hot dry summer & fall !   I only pick the field mushrooms that can be up to 6" across the top with pink gills .  We freeze some and use some for stir fries in the wok  or smother a steak with onions and shrooms ....soooo good !

• 4 months later...
On 10/10/2021 at 9:31 AM, Jeff Riley said:

I found a couple of species I believe are edible I like to send some pictures

You must be careful Jeff , some deadly shrooms look like sisters to edibles.  The big white puff balls are good eating and some fungi also .

Welcome to the club and I hope to see some pictures .....

This is a typical large field mushroom I picked recently ....pink gills .

Big Shroom.PNG

4 hours ago, Tony said:

I did.......................But this was way back in 1967...............My mom was a great cook'''''

I remember 67 very well ....4 th year working at GM .....

For a shroom that size we would hang a huge pot over a fire in the back yard ......   

and add it to the rabbit/squirrel soup ......   :rolleyes:   

Well well .....Happy National Mushroom Day  !!  

Good info on shrooms and recipes .....     and for all you vegans ,   a mushroom burger !   yum

https://torontosun.com/life/food/make-room-for-the-shroom-its-national-mushroom-day

5 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Well well .....Happy National Mushroom Day  !!  

Good info on shrooms and recipes .....     and for all you vegans ,   a mushroom burger !   yum

https://torontosun.com/life/food/make-room-for-the-shroom-its-national-mushroom-day

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there isnt too many vegans on this site! Mushroom burger? Sounds delicious lol

15 minutes ago, RJR said:

We didn,t spend the last million years evolving to become the top of the food chain to become vegan. 

I once said to a vegan guy ,  I am also a vegan ,,,,,,,,  A cow eats grass,  which is converted to meat which is converted by humans to doo doo which becomes fertilizer to grow more grass !  .....So we are all vegans .....  He wasn't thrilled .....  

But I do respect vegans for their choice .