160lb day

Hacknslash

I know this is a fishing board but I really had to tell this story. Hope its an eye opener!

We were heading out today and came across a doe on the side of the highway in West Lincoln. Some moron had hit her and left her crippled in the ditch, both hind legs were broken. After numerous calls we fianlly got ahold of Niagra Police and an officer was dispatched to destroy the animal. As an outdoorsman, both hunter and fisherman, I was outraged that someone would be so heartless as to hit an animal and not make sure that if it survived that it was put out of its misery, not left to suffer. My friend and I gave up the entire day of fishing to ensure this animal was given the most humane possible termination under the circumstance. Well we caught no fish today...but thankfully ended up with a freezer full of venison. Just wondering, shouldnt there be some kind of fine for wounding an animal on the highway and leaving it to die without reporting it?

Oh ya by the way we called the ministry and followed proper protocol to legally claim the deer.

Sorry found right spot to post this trying to move it:(

Sorry guys cant figure out how to send it to right spot....apologize for posting on wrong part of forum.

Well the day started off as a fishing trip:)

Hopefully the meat wasn't as spoiled as your days fishing. Probably anti hunters who hit it. Probably thought killing it would be inhumane.

It's odd to hear of hit and runs because if they were legal to drive they'd probably want the police to file an accident report so the insurance would repair the damage. It might make sense to a truck driver to keep going as time is money and a deer will do little damage to a truck if just clipped but cruel to leave it never the less.

No problem with posting in the fishing forum. It can either go here or non fishing and the mods and admin will gladly help out. Welcome to the forum by the way. Feel free to share your wildlife stories both good and bad here.

Dan :D

Here in Lincoln it is a regular occurence. Couple of buddies end up with 5-6 extra animals for the freezer every year. NRP used to call them up to put down injured animals. It avoids the gun use reports the police have to file.

ya thats a shame i remember when someone did that and the nrp called my friends dad to finish off so to say a deer that had been hit and he ended up bringing it back to his house alive and kept it for a week until he could find a vet to repair its hind legs needless to say he did and it was released back into the wild

Archived