Navy Island

ham&eggs

Anybody else see the Niagara Falls Review write up on all the garbage on navy Island.Living in the Falls & having a boat I see the island alot.Was getting pretty disgusting.Its a shame but will most likely happen again.The Parks Commission organized the clean up.Some of the articles cleaned up were, back seat of a vechicle,table,BBQ,many beer bottles & cans what everybody needs on a island,,,toilet seat on a walker(seen that in the fall & no Iwasn;t going to clean that up LOL)

Now that they plan to ban camping on the island it might get a little better. No more camping permits are being issued at the office , but that still doesn't stop the americans, who by the way think they own Navy island ?

Duh if they just look at the international boundaries they will see it lies on our side. God forbid we go to thier side without the coast guard mounting your boat.

Now that they plan to ban camping on the island it might get a little better. No more camping permits are being issued at the office , but that still doesn't stop the americans, who by the way think they own Navy island ?

Duh if they just look at the international boundaries they will see it lies on our side. God forbid we go to thier side without the coast guard mounting your boat.

Was wondering if they were going to stop issuing premits.I always thought it would be a nice place to spend a night but never pursued it.like you said though ,might clean it up abit.

There were ppl camping there today when I was Bass fishing, they were on the end closest to Ft Erie and the other end had what looked like a mattress and some tires on it? I'm Glad they cleaned up and got in the review, just wondering what the junk left was about, its right on the end and u can see it clear as day for a long ways. And I saw opp on the water last, must be they still let some ppl camp there? They weren't American had ON on Boat registration... Maybe they still gotta go pick up a load to go to the dump?

Was there the day before and was talking to the boys about arranging a clean up. Too bad about banning camping. I wanted to bring the boys there for a couple of over nighters and really get to know the island.

Once again a few spoil it for all. :worthy: Less access to public land for everyone. When are the litter bugs going to learn.

BTW there are still allot of deer. The indians didn't clean them up very good. Most bottom branches have already been eaten and they're hanging around the deer exclosures as usual.

Was there the day before and was talking to the boys about arranging a clean up. Too bad about banning camping. I wanted to bring the boys there for a couple of over nighters and really get to know the island.

Once again a few spoil it for all. :worthy: Less access to public land for everyone. When are the litter bugs going to learn.

BTW there are still allot of deer. The indians didn't clean them up very good. Most bottom branches have already been eaten and they're hanging around the deer exclosures as usual.

Some nights we will go for a boat ride around the island ,have seen good #'s of deer down at the water all around the island.have yet to see any swimming towards or coming from the island,have been told they do it.I kind of thought they would stay on the island myself,who knows.definitely an interesting area to explore.Alot bigger than I thought when you start walking around.A co worker was on the island years ago when they had that hunt & at one point got lost,thank god for the compus he said.

Last summer we saw some of the people who venture out to the island. What pigs. Garbage everywhere. the teens were running out of control on the river in their boat while the parents sat on the island getting blasted. Officer Bob saw them as well. After pulling the kids over, the last I saw was the police boat beached at the island and the police speaking with the adults.

The trash problem exists all along the parkway. I picked up another full bag of cans after fishing in Ft Erie last week. For every environmentally responsible individual out there fishing you will find 5 backward fools who don't believe they are doing harm.

On Sunday there was a couple of people, young boy (12-14) and someone else for sure with a chain saw. They had a fire going under the trees :worthy: . Asked the kid who came down to the water what they were doing and he said they were cutting firewood for the fire and camping :worthy: Why would you chain saw wood when i bet there is tons just laying around to burn? Hope they weren't cutting down good trees :worthy:

As for deer swimming, yes i have seen a few over the years, they are good swimmers indeed. Also have seen deer on the island, look very small.

The osprey are nesting again on grand island :)

Guest canada

Another deer cull is in the works, once every 5-6 yrs it's time to go blasting :worthy: woooohoooooo look out Bambi your days are numbered :worthy:

Another deer cull is in the works, once every 5-6 yrs it's time to go blasting :) woooohoooooo look out Bambi your days are numbered :lol:

Thats all they are is bambi's, I have seen 4 or 5 this year and they are only a little bigger then the fawns. Keep em out there long enough maybe we will get our own pigmy deer!

Well I was disappointed to hear that Parks Canada was considering revoking all permits to camp on this Island. I can't see removing our right to camp on Public Lands as an answer to controling lawless slobs. Hunting has been illegal on the Island for years yet "poaching" still occurs. Littering "especially in a Nation Park" is illegal but it still happens! So what good is taking away my and my families rights? We're the kind of people who clean up these messes and the pigs will continue on anyway.

What am I going to do about it? :angry2:

Last night I brought up a motion at our exec for the Fort Erie Conservation Club. We are going to request Parks Canada do not cancel permits to camp on the Island. In return we will agree to assist in an annual clean up. We will be seeking partners like other Conservation and sporting clubs, nature groups, environmental orgs and the Indians. This Island is a nature classroom and should be accessible to the people paying to maintain it.

If any orgs here on this board would like to get in on this, make the motion at your next exec and PM me. I will be investigating contact numbers and informational contacts for Parks Canada and Police over the next couple of weeks and will share what we've learned. I see this as an all round opportunity for positive partnerships for all outdoor orgs. Even if Parks Canada decides not to cancel camping permits, I think we should follow through with the annual cleanup and some sort of awareness program for visitors to the Island.

What do you think?

good motion to bring forth Dan :angry2:

I had to work last night so couldn't make the meeting, work makes me miss alot of exec meetings :lol:

I would help out no prob if this pops up,you have a boat, I have a boat so getting over there is not the issue really

Guest canada

Good idea Dan....Listen I did some voluntary work for Landcare Niagara who did the deer enclosure project on Navy Island, they work with many different groups in Niagara and maybe able to set up a clean-up operation on the Island! It may be a long shot but some funding may be available through Landcare Niagara..........John my boss will hate me for this :angry2::lol:

Thanks Johns.

Mike Rose will get into anything that rings a headline. Free advertising. Canada, good to hear your with Landcare. No bull, all action there buddy. I planned on asking him too.

Put my name down for another clean up . Whoever has room in their boat I will help out. Too bad we have these slobs taking up space in this country ....we are too lax on these low lifes . I would like to see them prosecuted & made to clean up the country side for 30 days to teach them how it's done !

Put my name down for another clean up . Whoever has room in their boat I will help out. Too bad we have these slobs taking up space in this country ....we are too lax on these low lifes . I would like to see them prosecuted & made to clean up the country side for 30 days to teach them how it's done !

maybe if it worked out that way, if this happened, we could pile a few guys in a couple boats and get in some bass fishin while we are at it :angry2:

Archived