Dils lake/ Chippawa Conservation

fishhatemybait

Hello All,

After some persuasive advice from a few members about Dils, my son and I

will be camping and fishing at Chippawa Creek. What I am lookig for is what I should be using

and how to use it to catch a few. I am a bit of a newbie to most techniques out side of bait and bobber

so any tips would be great.

Thanks

Chris

well i have been fishing chippawa creek for as long as i can remember and i always use crank baits and jerk baits in a perch or rainbow trout design any dull colors nothing too bright works well. just cast and reel throw a couple jerking motions in there this works pretty well for me. hope this helps and hope you and your son have a good time.

agree with bassman my friend had luck on spinners and top water's for the bass and i got a few on top water's, frog color seems to work alot

If you are fishing at dils? you will need some weedless baits if you are targeting the largies. Get yourself a pack of 3 or 4/0 worm hooks and a 5 or 6/0 worm hook. Get a couple packs of berkley powerbait 4 inch craws 1 in black/blue , and 1 in black/chartreuse, you could also try the white ones but those two colours produce. Than get yourself either/or a pack of 7/10 inch worms in black or purple. You will also need at least a 3/8 ounce bullet sinker and a few toothpicks for pegging it. you should be ok with minimum 14 lb test there although i recommend no less than 17 lb but it should be on a baitcaster med/heavy rod. here is a link for texas rigging http://www.catcherman.com/features/rigging...0602sportmn.htm

You can also fish outside the weedlines or over top the weeds if not on the surface with senkos, spinnerbaits/buzzbaits/topwaters etc on a spinning rod if need be.

For the texas rigging you will mostly be dropping your line into little holes you see in the top of the weeds and letting it go down to the bottom and jig it several inches off of the bottom and if no bite drop it in another hole and repeat. This also works well in the lily pads, short casts and if you happen to land your bait on a lily, just drag it slowly off till it goes under. wait a second and jig it slowly for a few moments and repeat as necessary to different lillies .

Weedless frogs will work too, work them over all the thick stuff and pause them over any little opening. Weightless senkos texas rigged can also do this .

If you are fishing the actual creek ( which why in heaven you would be when you have a great bucket population in Dils) than the advice above is good.

You can stop in at Peter's if in St.Catharines and have Brandon/Angela show you the proper way to hook these up if you have difficulty.

Best of Luck,

John

Archived