Float Suit

Smokin Joe

Guest niagarariverpro

armor is for cold not water....

go with mustang float suits. much more durable than any other i found. helly hansen looks pretty and all just don't fall in lol

I own the helly Hansen alpha ! Its really warm I bought it at Le barrons cheapest I could find by like 60 bucks ! As far as floating goes ice never tried it ! Hope I don't have to ! If I could have afforded it I would have bought the mustang integrity but it rings it at over 5 bills it was really comfortable and easy to move in ! The helly does get a lil stiff in the cold but it was like minus 25 out

I wear the nautilus floater and when I fell trough last year I was glad I had it. It is warm and comfortable I,am a fairly large man. It keeps me warm all day and when I say all day that is usually sun up till sun down paid 200 bucks and worth ever penny Bought it at CTC.

I have used the Hally Hansen Alpha Suit for three seasons now. I work on the water a lot, including 50 days+/year working in during cold water season (H20 temps < 10 dec C ).

I will say I have been happy with the HH Suit so far. I did own a Mustang Integrity suit for 5 years. I logged over 300 days with this suit. However, I finally wore it out. I am now giving the HH Suit a try. The HH Suit are quite a bit cheaper than a similar Mustang Suit.

I have taken my HH suit into a pool last year during a training session. I was very pleased with it. It is not as flexible as the mustang.

Longevity of the HH Alpha Suit is yet to be determined.

I wear the nautilus floater and when I fell trough last year I was glad I had it. It is warm and comfortable I,am a fairly large man. It keeps me warm all day and when I say all day that is usually sun up till sun down paid 200 bucks and worth ever penny Bought it at CTC.

Think I know where you went through.... Bob :) ....lots of ice there now ! I only have a Mustang Jacket & it's a little stiff when sitting ,so I open up the zipper .The pants are lined snow pants and worn over lined jeans & long johns . I've heard , one major complaint with one piece suits ......ya gotta drop the whole thing down to your knees to pee !icon4.gif

I've had a Bouy o boy for the past 4 years and out grew it, found it to be a nice suit but I agree it got stiff in really cold temps. I have a Helly Hansen now jumped in the pool with it in the summer I floated so that's good :), hope it's as good as my Bouy o boy I believe they are the same company.

I have been using the Buoy-o-Boy for the last five years as well .... well never had to really use it ( thank god) but it has served me well. Looking to get a new one soon. Its still in brand new shape but my shape has unfortunately changed. :)

Does anyone have opinions on two piece vs. one piece?

I have the 2 piece Mustang. Warm enough to be wearing nothing but a smile underneath :)

Prefer the 2 piece for milder temperatures. Too hot to wear the full suit when it is 25-40F, and the coat has enough bouyancy by itself. I'm on season 4. Waited for the 1/2 price sale for mine and saved a bundle.

As far as one piece vs. two...

If you can guarantee you will never have to be in the water, the 2 piece will do. Even fishing from shore, you fall in who knows what will happen. If you are smart, you will get the one piece so if you ever have to be in the water, you will last a lot longer. Less openings for water to flow through.

Not that people with the 2 piece aren't smart.

I am actually pretty curious to see how well my Mustang Floater jacket even floats..might try it out in a pool when it's hot just to see, mind you to test it well, I should probably have on everything I wear when I go out in the winter fishing.

It gives me an extra sense of safety out there, but i still wouldn't want to have to test it out the hard way

I bought a mustang jacket off Cliff a few years back has served me good. Found a yellow one at a rummage sale this summer and picked it up for $10, has the beaver tail and hood, couldn't pass up that steal. Jacket floats just fine, have tested it. :)

Erie Tracker has the Mustang and HH suits in The Mustang's are 299.00

If you keep good care of it and don't have any tears or other damage it should last a long time

I put mine on in the summer and jump in the pool to check it's working

I make sure the chlorine level is low at the time.

This is my third year with the helly hansen with NO complaints. I even tested it in the rec canal after I got it. And YES it has a pee zipper built in ...a godsend if you ask me. Been in -35 and still warm. Bought at JR's outdoor store for $239 then. Still probably has the best price around IMO.

Helly hansen bought out the other big competitors so its all the same Quality whichever you buy.

Archived