Legend boats

maka

What is wrong with these boats. They seem alright but alot of people slag them.

I was thinkig on getting one of the utility ones with the 25 hp 2 stroke upgrade.

I like the split seats in the back that alot of other boats do not have.

maka

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do your own homework.

each and every internet board has folks who have commented with legend boats.

the most recent example i have seen was a fellow who is spending thousands to get his legend "reinforced" as they did not build it correctly, and the hull has popped a number of rivits a number of times...the money spent could initially been spent on a proper boat...instead money saved by buying a legend simply gets spent down the road on repairs.

tracker and legend are the same quality.

You get good and bad with every make and model. Of course, most people are more caught up in posessing the right brand than anything else.

My Legend has been a gem. Others have been absolute crap. JWL is happy with his boats.

As for split seams, popped rivets etc..., seen lots of trackers, lunds, rangers, with similar problems. A lot also has to do with use/abuse of a boat. If you run full out in 6ft waves expect to see hull problems. Coast Guard would tell you to stay off that water in a small boat. Ever see a ranger drop it's transom. It isn't pretty (at least it will stay afloat ;) ).

My Dad bought a Legend 2 years ago, he is looking for a Lund. What does that tell you.

Actually that tells me nothing other than your dad is buying a new boat. What is wrong with his.

Doesn't legend offer a lifetime seam warranty on their boats. I just like were their rivets are on their hulls.

If you want a good aluminum boat.... New or Old , buy 1 that has double riveted seams. PERIOD!! That is the boat that will last you the longest. Legend as well as many others are only single riveted. I,m not stuck on any brand name... but would never buy a single riveted boat ! I have a double riveted Thornes aluminum that is 44 yrs old. It aint perty, but its still solid! Good luck, watever you buy! B)

Actually that tells me nothing other than your dad is buying a new boat. What is wrong with his.

Doesn't legend offer a lifetime seam warranty on their boats. I just like were their rivets are on their hulls.

Stupid little things like the glove compartment vibrates open every few hours, shifting lever had to be re screwed on, the cigarette lighter where u plug the phone charger or the gps the wires vibrate lose and i have to put em back on every few trips. The Legend made cover has about half the buttons left on it after 2 seasons, it gets put in a garage all winter. Front of the boat there is a gap between the aluminum and the cast iron plate that holds the front together. If you hit waves it goes right in there, I'm sure you could fix it but when you pay 20 some odd grand for a boat you shouldn't have to. They are also all underpowered so that great price ends up being like a Lund after you upgrade the engine.

i know that a sales person told me the legend (packages)are way underpowered for the boat its sold with.if you fish very little and easy you can get away with a legend,but a lund seems like a more solid boat in my opinion,as well as a few others.good luck selecting a boat that is right for YOU,dont worry about what the other guys without a budget buy.

Ya, I know they are under powered. I just thought 14' or the 16' with the 25hp would be a good boat for under 7000 would be O.K.

I would need to finance about half of it. Not sure if other companies finance. My wife gets her bonus in the fall so I will pay it off in Novemeber. Also looking at seveal used boats. I really hate buying used though.

Guest niagarariverpro

i don't think legend are a good choice at all... always under powered and i know a couple people had big problems with cracked hulls and they suck at customer service so i am told.. I would go lund or if you want a cheaper boat thats awesome i would look at the smokercrafts..

After owning a tracker and the nightmares I'm having with it, I started talking to alot off people about aluminum boats. First off NEVER buy an all welded hull because welds do not flex and that is a proven fact. When you are in the waves guess what the hull will flex regardless of what boat you buy. Stay with double plated and double rivited hulls. Lund, G3, Polarcraft, allumicraft are all well known boats with a reputatable warranty program. Just because alot of these companies say lifetime warranty try to get something fixed afterwards when something happens.

Ps anyone wanna buy a 2006 16ft Tracker Pro Guide V16 dual console with a merc 60hp 4 stroke. It has a few or 12 split welds a few broken ribs and split down the keel. Comes with a lifetime warranty on all welded seems!!!!!

There is a reason why some boats cost more and it is not all for the name on the side.

hope this helps

Niagarafisher

A lot also has to do with use/abuse of a boat. If you run full out in 6ft waves expect to see hull problems.

Here, here... Some like to run their small craft in big waters like it is an open water boat and they are just not made to handle such abuse frequently. I have a '73 Mirrocraft and she hasn't leaked since day one... This is the most solid boat I have owned.

If you want a good aluminum boat.... New or Old , buy 1 that has double riveted seams. PERIOD!! That is the boat that will last you the longest.

Very good advice...A lot of buyers don't look at this and this is a major concern with metal hulls.

A good rule of thumb: You usually get what you pay for..

Now when you go look at those Legends, you will have some questions and you will know what to look for..

Good Luck..

Nipper

i don't think legend are a good choice at all... always under powered and i know a couple people had big problems with cracked hulls and they suck at customer service so i am told.. I would go lund or if you want a cheaper boat thats awesome i would look at the smokercrafts..

I bought a new Smokercraft Millentia 192 last year. Couldn't agree with you more - what an awesome boat. I looked at several different makes and found smoker to be middle of the road with a great product and decent price. Haven't been disappointed yet! Engines are a different story. I found it very difficult to get the boat I wanted with the engine I wanted. That all depends on the marina, and what they sell. From my own experience, don't settle for one or the other. Find a dealer that has both the boat and engine you want, It will pay off in the long run. Good Luck!

As far as the issue of being under powered, a 16ft utililty boat, of any make or model is not underpowered with a 2009 25hp engine. As well, I'm curious to know if any of these structural problems occurred on the utility models, or the larger models. Heavier boat, bigger motor, more stress on the hull.

I know guys that have the 16 ft utility, and it's been a good boat for them. If you look at the pricing, it's a pretty good deal to grab the 25hp at no additional cost (2 stroke).

Starcraft makes Legend. I see lots of starcrafts out there. If you look at the legend 16ft utility, and the starcraft 16ft utility, they are identical. I know guys have had issues with the larger Legends, mainly the welded hull. I was over in the states looking at starcrafts and Monarks, Monarks are the exact same welded boat as the legend welded, and the sales rep said to stay away from Monarks, because the hulls crack. He recommended the Starcraft riveted hull.

So who knows? If you're only looking for a little tinner with a tiller, why not buy something used? Cheap fishing, and the boat's been water tested. I fish quite often out of a small princecraft utility, and that thing is absolutely indestructible.

As far as the issue of being under powered, a 16ft utililty boat, of any make or model is not underpowered with a 2009 25hp engine. As well, I'm curious to know if any of these structural problems occurred on the utility models, or the larger models. Heavier boat, bigger motor, more stress on the hull.

I know guys that have the 16 ft utility, and it's been a good boat for them. If you look at the pricing, it's a pretty good deal to grab the 25hp at no additional cost (2 stroke).

Starcraft makes Legend. I see lots of starcrafts out there. If you look at the legend 16ft utility, and the starcraft 16ft utility, they are identical. I know guys have had issues with the larger Legends, mainly the welded hull. I was over in the states looking at starcrafts and Monarks, Monarks are the exact same welded boat as the legend welded, and the sales rep said to stay away from Monarks, because the hulls crack. He recommended the Starcraft riveted hull.

So who knows? If you're only looking for a little tinner with a tiller, why not buy something used? Cheap fishing, and the boat's been water tested. I fish quite often out of a small princecraft utility, and that thing is absolutely indestructible.

For what your looking to spend you could get a Lund SSV tiller like I use to own. It was a solid boat and you can definitely find one for under 7 grand. Plus it's a deeper and wider boat. We had a 30hp Yamaha on ours and with two guys hit 28 to 30mph depending on the conditions. Also ever notice what majority of the guides use on the river along with many recreational fisherman. I think it speaks for it self. Also Legends aren't cheap when you compare apples to apples, upgrade to galvanized trailer, bigger engine etc.

Well I don't really know about star craft but legend, smokercraft, and sylvan are all the same company but just like GM for example theres the firefly and then theres a cadillac escalade not really comparable in performance or quality but still a gm. Most Legends are welded enough said.....

Just ask any dealer or boat repair facility and see what they think about welded hulls.

Personally I find most legends put their consoles to far forward which makes for a small front deck and a rougher ride.

My Legend is a 1990 , 15.5 ft. with a 40 HP Merc. ......no leaks & seem like a solid boat . I believe many rivets leak because of many miles of road trips with the boat not tightly fastened to the trailer and the hard shakes from the road is far more damaging than the water . Strap the boat down tightly and have decent shocks & springs on the trailer . I also believe that many companies who made a good product which gave them a good rep., have cheapened their product by "skimping" and outsourcing to prop up profits and now make inferior products to compete with other companies who sell cheaper goods. You really don't know what you are getting......

my friend brian [laketrout] use to be on this board he has a legend in fact he got a new one 4yrs agoe his 2nd one he never had any problems with the boat other than the stering cables getting slugish in the verry cold. this gut probally put on as many miles on his boat if not more than most charters do.he runs it all yr long through the ice and slush i would have to say it hold up very well for all the pounding it takes. the biggest problem he has had is with the merc optimax he has. on it he cant seam to find a shop who can work on it proper. due to shop neglance it has been replaced 2 times in 2 yrs.

so i would have to say treat the boat good it will treat you good but try to find a good engine and good service could be a different story

i know brian.

tell brian to quit replacing the merc.

i fish the exact same times and ways he does.

tell him to buy a yammy/honda/suzuki.

the optimax will be replaced again...and again.....and again.

Here, Here.

I replaced my Opti Max after 4 months of owning it. 7 weeks of that 4 months was in the shop. The engine was still under warranty and I had a hard time trading it in (at any marina) What does that say? Now I'm trying out an Evinrude E-tec.

So far so good!

Well I don't really know about star craft but legend, smokercraft, and sylvan are all the same company but just like GM for example theres the firefly and then theres a cadillac escalade not really comparable in performance or quality but still a gm. Most Legends are welded enough said.....

Just ask any dealer or boat repair facility and see what they think about welded hulls.

Personally I find most legends put their consoles to far forward which makes for a small front deck and a rougher ride.

Do you have any links you can send me that show SMOKERCRAFT and legend are the same company?

Check a legend warrantee card it is warranted through smokercraft. My parents have one i think it's a viper 151 with a 25 horse ok for the small lake in spanish where they use it. Biggest waves I've ever seen there were about 8-9".

I'm sure all boats are fine in a small little lake but in our demographic area you primarily have lake ontario, Lake erie, and the niagara river all of these can get rough. These are the times when a quality built hull comes into effect. I'm also sure that anything with a 15 or 25hp motor is not going out on a rough day. If your a fair weather fisher person who just wants to go on sunny days with the familly on the welland river, I'm certain anything you buy will hold up.

My boat split at every seam from running it on erie and the river but also when I bought the boat I told the sales guy I was looking for a boat that could handle waves and larger bodies of water seeing I primarily fish erie and this was the boat he recommended.

So in all theres good and bad products from every manufacturer, but some are known to be worse than others...........

Archived