Legend boats

maka

Not the same company but my 2000 Legend has a Smokercraft hull, it says so right on the plate.

I had a smokercraft about 10 yrs ago & it needed a port side gunrail because it was badly damaged from a falling tree . I got a replacement from Port Colborne Marine & they said it came from the US from a Legend company .They also told me to inquire at Duhamel & Dewar (Legend) in Sudbury about purchasing a new rail .

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I previously owned a 14 foot Smokercraft Pro Mag and didn't have a single bad thing to say about the boat...

It didn't leak a drop granted it wasn't really a big water boat, it handled a moderate chop at long point very well. I would recommend Smokercraft to anyone.

Just my two cents

It all depends on what you use the boat for. If you are out on Lake O, wrong boat with the wrong motor unless you are fishing in tight. Smaller lakes, the Legend should be fine.

Sylvan and Smokercraft are made in Paris IN; Starcraft is affiliated with both of them but build their own boats just down the road from the other S's in Starcraft's factory. Legend boats are not built in the same factory as all of the aforementioned (at least not now).

Each boat has different fit & finish. Smokercraft, Sylvan, and Legend do share the same hull design though. Everything else is different.

Main thing is what your use is for the boat. I won't buy another Lund again (had 3; only 1 didn't leak) as they are overpriced - nice boat, but there are better deals out there than Lunds or Alumacrafts. The only boat model that I have owned that has never leaked is Starcraft (I've owned 3). And that is my current boat (196 ).

I personally would not buy a Legend - cheap parts and cheaply made. In the late 90's, my buddy had one where he kinked the hull out on Lake O. Not the boats fault as he was pounding the crap out of it out there on a real choppy day. All I can say is that he sold it about 1 week later after he did a "best effort" to get the kink out and replace about 8 rivets.

our Legend has more than served me well

there are lots of things you will hear about all brands of boats I am sure :Gonefishing:

after a upp'ed repair bill from $2,000 to $3,800 to FIX HIS LEGEND, he is now SCRAPPING his legend.

my friend DID not use it on great lakes very much.

this boat is now going for scrap.

please, do all necessary research before buying one.

if you want, contact me, and I can put you in contact with him....it might open your eyes a bit to their quality and "lack" of customer service.

The internet can be a powerful tool to make or break a business . If Legend boats was smart they would have replaced the boat, if warranted . Maybe my 1990 15.5 Legend hasn't seen rough waters & is still in good shape or it could have been built stronger in those days ? Just like cars , I have heard horror stories , & I've also seen people who drive the crap out of them & fail to maintain them , then bad mouth the car in general saying they are junk . My 20 year old van is still mint because it has been well cared for . So , we have to figure in all the factors before we can make a decision what kind of boat we need for our boating pleasures .

yep junk! my buddy has a 1997 legend and replaced over a hundred rivits once already...a year ago..and by the end of last year that many and more rivits loosened up..so took it to another place to get it fixed again...estimate was I think $2500...when they got it apart..casting deck off...found at least 4 broken support ribs...so the price was now $4000 dollars to fix it...

So..tomorrow he is going to hastings marine to look at a lund...and switch his motor and stuff over...and !! I hope for his sake the scrap prices are up because thats where his Legend is going....man am I glad I didnt buy one of those pieces of junk.....hopefully the new ones are better but Now the damage is done..dont think he would take another chance on a legend...

I lucked out getting a great 1997 Sea Nymph 17.7 that has a great hull..solid like a rock! which I guess is now owned by Lowe boats from what I hear...my 2 cents....

• 11 years later...

I have a legend boat that is totally riddled with corosion issues in the transom...nvr used in salt,no grounding issues...just anywhere the wood contacts aluminum in the transom it pits right through and Legend will do NOTHING...they said tbey would take it and replace transom free of charge if i paid shipping which was fine but now wont evwn rwply to my emails looking for updates..100%wont recommend this company and now have to buy a boat this spring and guess what it wont be?

I did a lot of research before buying my first boat. Online forums, spoke with dozens of long time boaters and fisherman,  and the overwhelming consensus was Lund. I have nothing bad to say about other brands because I have not personally owned them, but 90% of the people I spoke with said to go Lund, if you could afford to do so.  Good reputation, great resale value etc. I am very happy with my decision so far. 

That's a strange story to me Maxi..... My old Legend was made in 1989 and the aluminum body seems to be in good shape ,except for a couple of leaky rivets at the bow .I thought aluminum is all the same except for thickness ...

Is the rest of the boat ok ? I can see salt getting on the transom if using it like now when the roads are salted.....

Maybe try pressing the issue more with them ,and maybe mention the word "lawyer" ....Good luck !  

If I was buying a new boat today I would spend a couple more grand for a Lund  ....plus a Yammy on it of course! :D

All I can say about anyone thinking of buying a Lund is NOT to buy from the jerks at Pt. Colborne Marine!! Lousiest service I have ever seen.

And after all my problems with Legend I would never buy from them again.

One brand I haven’t seen any comments on is Princecraft.  The guys at the FishnCanada show rave about their Princecraft, but I have never known anyone who owned one to get any opinions on them.

Sadly, unless I win some lottery money, the only boats I will ever have from now on is my kayak and the tin pot+ 20 Merc my son inherited from my cousin, which wont get me too much offshore L Erie pickerel fishing anymore.

On 2/12/2021 at 9:30 PM, maximusprime said:

I have a legend boat that is totally riddled with corosion issues in the transom...nvr used in salt,no grounding issues...just anywhere the wood contacts aluminum in the transom it pits right through and Legend will do NOTHING...they said tbey would take it and replace transom free of charge if i paid shipping which was fine but now wont evwn rwply to my emails looking for updates..100%wont recommend this company and now have to buy a boat this spring and guess what it wont be?

I have this same issue with my enclosed work trailer...the reason is because at one point they decided to use pressure treated ply wood in between aluminum panels and it causes it to oxidize and it corrodes and eats through it....solved the problem of the wood rotting right out but caused another

Personally I'd be a bit leery of Legend, it sounds like the actual manufacturers change along with their specs, so sounds like a crap shoot on the quality of the individual boat. I do know that they are notorious for bait and switch marketing by advertising a low price package that is underpowered and then up sell you on upgrades once they have you hooked, also lower quality finishing materials.

Regarding rivets vs weld. A quality welded aluminum hull is at least as strong if not stronger than rivets. Look at true hard core fishing boats they use out west, jet boats, etc. , all welded.

Alumacraft has a welded line for their Jon boats that are specifically for hard core duck hunting, running with mud motors jumping logs etc. that a riveted hull can't take. Actually all the hard core duck boats are welded.

I have a 20 year old Crestliner Sportfish that regularly fishes Erie in any weather that is sane and is still in great condition. Some friends that have Lunds were surprised by the quality of my boat vs theirs. Lunds are good boats, but no better than many others, they have done a great job marketing though, you have to give them that.

A lot depends on personal preference at the end of the day.

On 2/12/2021 at 9:30 PM, maximusprime said:

if pressure treated plywood or chemicals in that wood are used it will definitely chemically erode and "rot" any aluminum well known fact do not use pt wood in your aluminum boat

Archived