2009-2010 Migratory Bird Regs

Dan Andrews

Last year there were quite a few guys bragging about their limits of geese in the extended season. A friend of mine pointed out that they poached those geese :o . I guess they didn't realize (and neither did I) that the extended season only applies to municipalities where Sunday hunting is not permitted. Yes this means if you took geese last year in Fort Erie during the extended season that you hunted illegally. Oops :worthy:

So seeing as there are some good guys that were blushing because these regs are confusing too, I figured I'd start the discussion early. Here are the regs for this season and please read all the exceptions. There are both restrictions and bonus' as in the additional 5 geese a day bag limit for us in Niagara (early season only) for a total of 10 a day and 24 possession.

So find out if your hunting in a Sunday hunting permitted Municipalty and then get out there and clean up some of those poopy geese this year boys! SEE YOU..... IN SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

img005-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The reason that this only applies to the no Sunday hunting areas is that under the International agreement of the Migratory Game Bird Act is that you can only have a season open for a certain number of days per year. In areas where there is Sunday hunting they are at the max already, in areas where there is no Sunday hunting they don't count the Sundays as hunting days so they have a few days left to play with , so they can open there for the extended seasons .

If we want more goose hunting opportunities it will take changes at an international level, our MNR hands are tied at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived