No bunnies

Dan Andrews

Well I went bunny hunting today as it was too windy to kayak for geese or fish. Hit the tracks just after lunch. There is more and more of this invasive grass popping up and it makes rabbit hunting without a dog very difficult. Not only does it grow so thick that you can't see through it but it holds its foliage and sounds an awful lot like a rabbit in the brush.

2tails.jpg

I can't tell you how many times I had to stop and listen just to find it was only this stupid grass making that rustling noise.

If you get a chance drop by the tracks on Sunset near the QEW in FE and see these beaver chews.

3beav.jpg

I'm not sure if its a bank beaver or what but there's allot of small trees chewed, some just started but the only water is just a ditch or some reed clogged wetland with no sizable areas of open water nearby. I wonder how it survives.

Unfortunately the hunting community shares some of the same problems that the angling community does. Slob hunters have visited since my last walk a week ago. I think these guys were also a bad shot because everywhere I found shot casings they usually came in three's meaning they emptied their gun trying to hit a rabbit.

001-5.jpg

Notice the little 410 which was by itself.

These are the only 2 bunnies I saw today.

2bunnies.jpg

I walked about 6 miles and only saw these two which I originally thought were hit by a train. 2 shell cases beside them just off Point Abino Rd but only the head, feet, guts and hides were left. Someone did a fine job of cleaning them and left them beside the tracks for the coyotes. I always thought the best coyote control was to hunt bunnies but that was if the guts went in the green bin :lol:

So it seems the NE wind kept the bunnies in their holes today. Called it a skunk and went to nofrills for stir fry. If anyone feels like going for a walk its all good bunnies or not.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So Dan, are you just hunting along the rail road tracks then? Is that legal? I thought it wasn't anymore.

As for myself, no luck with rabbits this year. Saw one a few days before the season started but haven't seen anything since it opened. I'm determined to get one this year though!

lots in my yard, feel free to take them out

Ah .....bunny pie Jordan , made like any meat pie ! I preferred hunting jacks when I was young . They would be cut up into chunks of stewing (beef) and made the best stew in the land . I believe they are the ones in decline over the years . We used Imperial #2 shot or BB shot for those big jacks .

Archived