Ice on Pushlinch Lake

Dirka13

Hi all just went out to pushlinch last night with a friend and the whole lake is covered in ice, also there are snowmobile marks already near the shore lines, i imagine only cause its about 2 feet deep along shore so there not afraid if they go through. So i sent out my small framed friend 145 pounds and he went out about 50 feet and he said it looked good. he also jumped up n down on a dark patch of ice which i said not to but all went well, gonna go out today and take some pictures and post them when i get back. cheers

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JUST got back from pushlinch and the ice is good to go. about 15 people out already some with atv's and ice huts in one spot and snowmobiles rolling around. Gonna be going out tomorrow for the first icefishing expedition :) ill post ice thickness tomorrow night when i get back. also as we were leaving someone was running to there tip up :lol:. heres a few pics i snapped before we left. ummm how do i add photos? i tried off my facebook and photobucket?

Just got back from a full day of ice fishing on pushlinch lake and it was slow let me tell you, we run n gunned quite a few holes. ice is anywhere from 5-6 inches at all holes we drilled. only managed to get one fish. crappie,bluegill,or pumpkin seed i dunno what it is lol there were a few hammer handle (small pike) caught sad thing is they were kept too. shame. heres a few pics cheers

100_0746.jpg

100_0750.jpg

yeah they are 8 inch holes i feel anything smaller is just foolish when your goin for pike along with pan fish, ive noticed the fishing isnt as good as it used to be in pushlinch, last year through out the whole winter i saw about 150 fish kept out of that lake.. its a crying ass shame that people are cleaning out these lakes close to home for some sportfishing, but i guess they paid for a license and there entitled to a few fish. although i would like to see the MNR goin out to measure some of these cathces. i saw a lil pike kept yesterday couldnt have been any bigger than 14 inches :dunno:

well i dont know if you guys remember but i was on puslinch last winter and i was the guy everyone was talking about that caught over 100 crappie in couple of hours, there is lots of fish still there boys, you just have to find the colour that works, the spot they are holding and wheather or not live bait is the trick that day...oh and when it comes to pike...i never keep them i release every pike no matter what size it is unless a friend asks me to catch one for him...puslinch is still and awesome lake you just need to know how to fish it...and one thing that irritates me is how the opened up the season for eyes down there and now there is no more eyes :dunno: what the frigg!!!

Back again after 5 hours on pushlinch, VERY slow day didnt pick up till later, had a hit that almost pulled in my ice rod, 3 pike caught in total, all caught photographed and released, was in my hut and put on a pin head minnow and dropped it and b4 it hit the bottom i felt resistance and pulled and heard the reel screaming. mind you im runnin 4 pound test on a ultra light ice rod. got the pike up to the hole and it was about 4 pounds. went to pull it out the hole and it head shook and broke me off, but at least i got to see it :( heres some pics CHEERS going to try Wildwoods tomorrow.

100_0757.jpg

100_0759.jpg

100_0761.jpg

100_0763.jpg

Hi all just went out to pushlinch last night with a friend and the whole lake is covered in ice, also there are snowmobile marks already near the shore lines, i imagine only cause its about 2 feet deep along shore so there not afraid if they go through. So i sent out my small framed friend 145 pounds and he went out about 50 feet and he said it looked good. he also jumped up n down on a dark patch of ice which i said not to but all went well, gonna go out today and take some pictures and post them when i get back. cheers

I thought Puslinch was private. If not, what part should I try. I've never ice fished before and wouldn't mind goin' for pannies. What should I use to get started?

I thought Puslinch was private. If not, what part should I try. I've never ice fished before and wouldn't mind goin' for pannies. What should I use to get started?

it is no longer private its free to go fishing there, if you pull into the marina where the restaurant is and stand beside or behind the restaurant and look straight out there will be a BIG island we usually fish to the right of that island theres also a few smaller islands behind the big one. pushlinch is VERY shallow till you get a ways out so if you see anyone out there dont be shy just plop yourself near them and drill yourself a hole and check the depth. i think 18-20 is the deepest the lake gets. we fish from 10-18 feet, they say the fishing is amazing on that lake, but i see too many people keeping under sized pike, and too many pike over there limits. i feel within a few years that lake will be depleted.. VERY HIGH FISHING PRESSURE on that lake. i would use pin head minnows or micro baits by berkley example the wax worms or maggots do fairly well, ive only recently picked up the sport of panfishing usually i only fish pike but i need something to pass the time while the pike roam around the lake when it gets dead. good luck merry xmas and cheers

Merry Christmas guys

I tried the lake today with a buddy - ice was a good 6+" but as we were leaving it was raining so I dont know how it will hold up...

We ended up with nice pike (released) and one that was deep hooked that we kept (about 16").

All in all a nice first day on the ice.

Tight lines

Just a question for anyone ice fishing the lake. Do you all use ice fishing poles or can you get by with a standard size pole? I'm dying to get into ice fishing but haven't found an ice pole that I like yet.

Just a question for anyone ice fishing the lake. Do you all use ice fishing poles or can you get by with a standard size pole? I'm dying to get into ice fishing but haven't found an ice pole that I like yet.

I have seen people use them - but it makes it tough to land a fish

Fished for about 4 hours today on pushlinch. managed to drop my 12 volt marcum power cord down the ice hole :rolleyes: so now waiting for a new one, managed to land a 4 pound northern caught and released. ice is still good about 21 ppl on the ice today, saw about 5 caught

Fished for about 4 hours today on pushlinch. managed to drop my 12 volt marcum power cord down the ice hole :rolleyes: so now waiting for a new one, managed to land a 4 pound northern caught and released. ice is still good about 21 ppl on the ice today, saw about 5 caught

Sorry about your cord. That sucks. Looks like I'm headin' there tomorrow then. What did you catch the pike on? I'm going for pannies but if I get a pike I don't want to break my rod. I got an auger and a rod/reel and some jigs at Bass Pro today and got a Garmin Oregon so I'm set. All I need now is fish finder and maybe a hut. Should have picked up the small sled for $25 but I passed on that for now. If anyone needs a GPS for the car, Garmin Nuvi 255's are on for $129.94. I have one and it's great. Even marks your trail. I picked the same one up at Walmart in May for $163 so it's a good deal. The Oregon's were on for $269.99 at the store but the flyer said $349.94 and that was supposed to be $100 off so I couldn't resist. They finally have a rewards card now. They should have had that a long time ago. I almost got that trail cam that was on for $70 but I don't think it shoots video.

Sorry about your cord. That sucks. Looks like I'm headin' there tomorrow then. What did you catch the pike on? I'm going for pannies but if I get a pike I don't want to break my rod. I got an auger and a rod/reel and some jigs at Bass Pro today and got a Garmin Oregon so I'm set. All I need now is fish finder and maybe a hut. Should have picked up the small sled for $25 but I passed on that for now. If anyone needs a GPS for the car, Garmin Nuvi 255's are on for $129.94. I have one and it's great. Even marks your trail. I picked the same one up at Walmart in May for $163 so it's a good deal. The Oregon's were on for $269.99 at the store but the flyer said $349.94 and that was supposed to be $100 off so I couldn't resist. They finally have a rewards card now. They should have had that a long time ago. I almost got that trail cam that was on for $70 but I don't think it shoots video.

yeah i also was going to purchase that sled. good deal considering my old one is almost done, i got the marcum on boxing day and i already lost the part,now to contact marcum and buy a new one an over night it :rolleyes: Bass pro had some really good ice hut deals. too bad all the people tried to but in line while honest people waited for about 2 1/2 hours in line. i caught the pike on smelts from price chopper with the jig hooked in the belly portion instead of the back, didnt move the bait for 2 hours and then it was the tiniest of nibbles. gonna get up at 5 am to travel to a lake which is loaded with northerns :P and ill post pics cheers good luck with the pannies i seem to lack skill in that department lol

Back from a full day of fishing on pushlinch. got 12 bites and landed 2 northerns. a nice gent from toronto gave us 2 dozen minnows when they left, very nice of them.. gonna try bellwood tomorrow. ill post pics later tonight after supper

Back from a full day of fishing on pushlinch. got 12 bites and landed 2 northerns. a nice gent from toronto gave us 2 dozen minnows when they left, very nice of them.. gonna try bellwood tomorrow. ill post pics later tonight after supper

I was gonna head there today but was a little late getting out. Had to get a little stronger rod for when I go for Northerns but then it started to snow so I went over to Bannister to see how that looks. Never fished it before but will try this year. What did you get the pike on? I have a few worms left still alive so I'm gonna see what I can get off them. Haven't tried using live minnows yet. Were those ones the guys gave you live? I might try the smelt thing now if it works. Can't go tomorrow due to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert in Hamilton so depending on how cold it gets, might make it out on Wednesday. Back to work next week so I have to get out soon.

Archived