Ice on Pushlinch Lake

Dirka13

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went there today for a quick fish - arrived 7, fishing by 7:30 and left at noon. My friend caught one, +/-3lbs I lost one at the end of the day as we were leaving. Camera was in the car and the fish was released.

Went there today for a quick fish - arrived 7, fishing by 7:30 and left at noon. My friend caught one, +/-3lbs I lost one at the end of the day as we were leaving. Camera was in the car and the fish was released.

we were out there today as well from 9-4 managed to get 8 pike between 3 ppl and lots of missed strikes all from 1 pound to 4 pounds very nice day. all were caught and released

we were out there today as well from 9-4 managed to get 8 pike between 3 ppl and lots of missed strikes all from 1 pound to 4 pounds very nice day. all were caught and released

Thats pretty impressive... Are you guys using minnows?

Have you guys been charged parking at the park yet? I was surprised that no one was at the gate today, I guess they wait for the weekends...

Have you ever fished the small lake just outside the gate? Saw two groups there today - tempted to try it out next time

Thats pretty impressive... Are you guys using minnows?

Have you guys been charged parking at the park yet? I was surprised that no one was at the gate today, I guess they wait for the weekends...

Have you ever fished the small lake just outside the gate? Saw two groups there today - tempted to try it out next time

yes using shiners on tip ups and ice rods. no there is no charge for parking, only for launching a boat in the summer. no i have never fished the small lake i heard theres alot of little pike and panfish. im fishing in the 13-20 feet depth. also sardines are producing and smelts, but large shiners are doing very well.

I was gonna head there today but was a little late getting out. Had to get a little stronger rod for when I go for Northerns but then it started to snow so I went over to Bannister to see how that looks. Never fished it before but will try this year. What did you get the pike on? I have a few worms left still alive so I'm gonna see what I can get off them. Haven't tried using live minnows yet. Were those ones the guys gave you live? I might try the smelt thing now if it works. Can't go tomorrow due to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert in Hamilton so depending on how cold it gets, might make it out on Wednesday. Back to work next week so I have to get out soon.

how was bannister? i want to try it i know theres a few large ones in there. i called the MNR on a few people in the spring at bannister and wrigly

how was bannister? i want to try it i know theres a few large ones in there. i called the MNR on a few people in the spring at bannister and wrigly

Hard to tell with the snow but I would guess not good yet. On the Wrigley side by the road there was hardly any ice at all. Bannister's side was snow covered so I guess there's some ice. What did you call the MNR about? What were the people doing that they weren't supposed to?

yes using shiners on tip ups and ice rods. no there is no charge for parking, only for launching a boat in the summer. no i have never fished the small lake i heard theres alot of little pike and panfish. im fishing in the 13-20 feet depth. also sardines are producing and smelts, but large shiners are doing very well.

Hey again. I popped in for a minute before dark to check it out. Where do we park at? I'm pretty sure the restaurant doesn't want us there. I'm not familiar with the area. I got my sled and am ready to go hopefully tomorrow. As long as I can park where allowed, I'm good to go. Thanks

Hey again. I popped in for a minute before dark to check it out. Where do we park at? I'm pretty sure the restaurant doesn't want us there. I'm not familiar with the area. I got my sled and am ready to go hopefully tomorrow. As long as I can park where allowed, I'm good to go. Thanks

when you pull in you will see a washroom to your left near the lake, park near that, the restaurant will call for a tow if u park in there parking lot.

when you pull in you will see a washroom to your left near the lake, park near that, the restaurant will call for a tow if u park in there parking lot.

I went out today around 1pm. I parked to the left of the restaurant, not at the staff parking. I remember a building there but don't know if it was the bathroom. Didn't notice. Other trucks were parked there so I guess that's the spot. Didn't catch anything but met a guy on the way out with 4 pike around 3lb each and above. I guess I have to start using live minnows and get a fishfinder. Maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

weve been on pushlinch too much lol, cant fish any conservation areas yet due to rising water levels. managed to get out to another lake today and did alright, i got 4 pike and 30 perch, my friend got 2 pike and 20 perch and my other friend was skunked all fish caught and released. heres some pics. i also have a youtube video to share. CHEERS and happy new year. ps look for deep water on pushlinch with shiners :Gonefishing:

PIC_0010.jpg

PIC_0008.jpg

PIC_0007.jpg

PIC_0016.jpg

PIC_0011.jpg

PIC_0013.jpg

PIC_0017.jpg

PIC_0019.jpg

PIC_0020.jpg

PIC_0018.jpg

If you are getting a lot o pike that size, it wouldn't hurt to keep the odd one out of there....UNLESS there is something bigger out there feeding on them.

i only keep the odd female rainbow for spawn or a silver male for a eater other than that everything is released by me. well i might try walleye, never have. but shades mills opens this saturday so ill be on there most likley all during the week go while the crowds are thined out

went fishing today with the old man, and i did pretty good, i lost a largmouth that was about 6-7 pounds which caused me to almost doo-doo my pants lol, he managed to spit my hook right before he came up the hole to get lipped. my father than caught a 5 pound northern pike which was quickly released after a picture. enjoy

PIC_0024.jpg

PIC_0023.jpg

PIC_0021.jpg

You guys must have froze out there today. Without a hut or heater, there was no way I was heading out. Nice pike. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get it on? I might have to get some live minnows the next time I go. Seems to be the ticket. Do you think spawn sacks would work?

You guys must have froze out there today. Without a hut or heater, there was no way I was heading out. Nice pike. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get it on? I might have to get some live minnows the next time I go. Seems to be the ticket. Do you think spawn sacks would work?

no on the roe bags, i suggest shiners. look for deep water when u go.and YES it was HELLA COLD lol even in my hut hahahaha

no on the roe bags, i suggest shiners. look for deep water when u go.and YES it was HELLA COLD lol even in my hut hahahaha

I want to say thanks for all info provided here. According to those info I went there Dec 30 and got my first fish on ice ever. I used dead fish and small jig to hook two decent pike and around 10 perch and sunfish. But I didn't get any crappie. I am happy to get so much info here. Happy new to all of you!

I want to say thanks for all info provided here. According to those info I went there Dec 30 and got my first fish on ice ever. I used dead fish and small jig to hook two decent pike and around 10 perch and sunfish. But I didn't get any crappie. I am happy to get so much info here. Happy new to all of you!

no problem, im glad to help fellow sport fishermen out. i know the amount that you caught is within limits but i was wondering if you released anything? and happy new to you too :Gonefishing: cheers

no problem, im glad to help fellow sport fishermen out. i know the amount that you caught is within limits but i was wondering if you released anything? and happy new to you too :Gonefishing: cheers

They all were released.I am a strict C&R fishman. Thank you very much for your in fo, Dirka 13. Correction: Happy New Year to all! Not happy new.

Just to let you know, don't feel bad for taking a couple pike out of pushlinch. Last year when the MNR checked for licenses, he said keep every one you catch, that they were infested in that lake and were putting a damper on the walleye in there.

I completely agree with what he says too, because every time i'm out there, I land 5 or 6 pike and wind up throwing 2 or 3 back because they are 12-15 inches long. Every 3 - 5 pounder i catch I keep. I love eating fish, and they need to be thinned out in there.

I see people on here that say they weren't having any luck on puslinch. While today a guy came up to me asking how i do it because he was out there for hours and didnt have any luck. He was using 1 inch minnows on a jighead and jigging it like ive never seen anyone jig before. hahaha, and he was only in about 4-5 feet of water.

4-5 feet of water is fine this time of year, but just grab a large minnow and throw a treble hook in its back just under the skin, and let it swim around alive 2-6 inches off bottom and wait....thats it. Don't waste your time jigging like a madman.

There are other ways, and if you are experienced I'm sure you know, but if you're having troubles catching fish, start with this.

Cheers guys, I'll see if I can get some pictures for you the next time I'm out. I was planning on checking out rameys bend tomorrow for some smelt, maybe be the guinea pig to test out the ice.

Just to let you know, don't feel bad for taking a couple pike out of pushlinch. Last year when the MNR checked for licenses, he said keep every one you catch, that they were infested in that lake and were putting a damper on the walleye in there.

I completely agree with what he says too, because every time i'm out there, I land 5 or 6 pike and wind up throwing 2 or 3 back because they are 12-15 inches long. Every 3 - 5 pounder i catch I keep. I love eating fish, and they need to be thinned out in there.

I see people on here that say they weren't having any luck on puslinch. While today a guy came up to me asking how i do it because he was out there for hours and didnt have any luck. He was using 1 inch minnows on a jighead and jigging it like ive never seen anyone jig before. hahaha, and he was only in about 4-5 feet of water.

4-5 feet of water is fine this time of year, but just grab a large minnow and throw a treble hook in its back just under the skin, and let it swim around alive 2-6 inches off bottom and wait....thats it. Don't waste your time jigging like a madman.

There are other ways, and if you are experienced I'm sure you know, but if you're having troubles catching fish, start with this.

Cheers guys, I'll see if I can get some pictures for you the next time I'm out. I was planning on checking out rameys bend tomorrow for some smelt, maybe be the guinea pig to test out the ice.

If there's walleye in Puslinch, giddy up!!! I love eating fish too and kinda get annoyed when people get upset at people for keeping a few fish no matter where it is. If I pay for a license, I'm keeping fish. Otherwise, what's the point. You don't go hunting if you're not gonna keep your game, unless it's varmint. I don't fish over my limit nor keep everything. I follow the regs. If people just fish for the fun of it and let their catch go, that's fine too. I would also keep a few 3-5 pounders if I got 'em but not all huge ones, if I were that lucky. For the amount of fishing I do, I don't catch a lot of really big ones. So if I catch some, I'm keepin' 'em. I don't agree with people keeping the really small ones though. Pike are enough of a pain to clean without having to deal with the small ones. Just my 2 cents.

well i got my marcum power cord in the mail today. WOOT now i get to see these monsters down there. my fathers friend has an aqua view and he says some of the trophies that swim by are amazing. CANT WAIT goin out on friday

I wish I could get out this weekend but I am sick sick sick for the past week and a bit. I cant wait to get back out onto the ice.

Good luck out there.

And yes Dirka I have heard the same thing about Pusinch (that there are some real monsters down there)...

Going out to Pushlinch Lake on Sat Jan 23.

Was wondering if there is any bait stores that have minnows near by?

Any tips when fishing out there? What are we gonna catch?

Thank you

Mikey

P.S. We will be in a subzero cube 4 man hut with a orange stripe at the top.

Going out to Pushlinch Lake on Sat Jan 23.

Was wondering if there is any bait stores that have minnows near by?

Any tips when fishing out there? What are we gonna catch?

Thank you

Mikey

P.S. We will be in a subzero cube 4 man hut with a orange stripe at the top.

I think someone told me he got minnows at a tackle shop in Cambridge.

PAY A VISIT to

Tall Tales Bait & Tackle

310 King Street East, Cambridge, Ontario.

They normally have all you need like Maggots, Pinhead, Shiners/Large Emerald and TIPS for you. You will catch some pike and/or pan fish. But not many perch there though. Good luck.

good advise id say large emeralds and find some decent depth

Archived