Anyone ever fish 4 Mile Creek?

I used to go there all the time when I was a kid. Tons of cats, carp, and sheephead. Now when I drive past they have some new houses on that property (on the other side of the river from Strewn) where I used to fish. I remember though that they drained the creek years ago, and anytime I have been there since the fishing was garbage. Just some green sunfish and minnows. However, that was at least 7 years ago, probably more. Anyone been recently? Has it recovered?

Are you talking about the pond or the creek. The pond doesn't seem to have much else than what you said carp and green sunfish. I'm not sure about the creek.

the creek. You keep following Lakeshore into Niagara on the lake. You drive around a bend, and then you cross a bridge over the creek. Just past the creek is Strewn winery (what used to be a cannery, I believe). I fished on the shore on what was private property, but probably 20 years ago someone (maybe my dad?) asked the owners if it was okay to fish there, as the bank is far away from their house, and we would clean up after ourselves. So much changes over time though. Who knows :)

It was a great place to take kids though to get into some small cats and carp and sheephead. But, plenty more where that came from I suppose :)

the creek. You keep following Lakeshore into Niagara on the lake. You drive around a bend, and then you cross a bridge over the creek. Just past the creek is Strewn winery (what used to be a cannery, I believe). I fished on the shore on what was private property, but probably 20 years ago someone (maybe my dad?) asked the owners if it was okay to fish there, as the bank is far away from their house, and we would clean up after ourselves. So much changes over time though. Who knows :)

It was a great place to take kids though to get into some small cats and carp and sheephead. But, plenty more where that came from I suppose :)

ok cool I might check it out in the spring maybe i will even get the elusive sheepshead. :D

ok cool I might check it out in the spring maybe i will even get the elusive sheepshead. :D

I might too just to see what it is like now. But who knows, like I said that was years ago and I don't know if it ever recovered from being drained. Also they have built up that property since then, so they might not want people fishing there.

I am not sure if you can fish there, but I used to catch tons of sheephead in the summer at the Yacht club in port dalhousie, but they have put up some fences and stuff, and they used to complain about us being there :)

It would be nice if my knowledge of fishing in this area wasn't outdated by 10+ years :)

My father talks of Four Mile Creek being a favourite place for trout in the 1940s. Agricultural run off and Urban Expansion have reduced it to a drainage ditch in many places. In the upper reaches it is still oxygen rich. At the headwaters it is spring fed from the aquifer of the sands of the burried gorge. At one time this was the water supply for St. Davids and Queenston, but was closed due to contamination by local chemical dumps. The land above the St. Davids wells is burried waste from Cyanamid of Canada. The oriignal Sleemans Brewery was along the headwaters of Four Mile Creek, dating back to the 1800s. Also known as the Niagara Springs Brewery.

Lakerunner

Ive fishing it once i was only targeting carp/goldies had to leave because the farmer no more then 20ft away from us was spraying his poison making my gag eyes water and noise pluged up.

Never bothered to go back since

it seems to be a different story each time, but yeah all I got there was carp and goldies

My father talks of Four Mile Creek being a favourite place for trout in the 1940s. Agricultural run off and Urban Expansion have reduced it to a drainage ditch in many places. In the upper reaches it is still oxygen rich. At the headwaters it is spring fed from the aquifer of the sands of the burried gorge. At one time this was the water supply for St. Davids and Queenston, but was closed due to contamination by local chemical dumps. The land above the St. Davids wells is burried waste from Cyanamid of Canada. The oriignal Sleemans Brewery was along the headwaters of Four Mile Creek, dating back to the 1800s. Also known as the Niagara Springs Brewery.

Lakerunner

They still do get a small run of steelhead in spring. I have seen them rolling there up by the dam. I don't know if the season opens there or not but even if it does it would be way too late in such shallow warm water. So fishing these is basically out of the water. I remember thinking if they did some habitat restoration there or chanelled it out and gravelled in some spots it could get a decent run some day

it seems to be a different story each time, but yeah all I got there was carp and goldies

I use to fish the Four mile creek and the pond quite a bit when I use to live in St Catharines.

We use to get together with Pete Baxter and a few guys fron the UK.

Yes the place was, and I expect is still loaded with Carp and Goldfish.

Good times and good fishing.

Here is a link to trout unlimited on Four Mile Creek..an interesting read

http://www.tucanada.org/reports/ON-033_NiagaraTemp_2007.pdf

Lakerunner

I now know what im going to take a look into this spring

Archived