catching my own bait

Dirka13

Hi ive come to realise that im paying way to much for my minnows for ice fishing, i have a minnow cage but i never manage to catch anything. does anyone have any tips and pointers to doin this. like maybe baiting them or location near warm water i dunno what im doing wrong here. thanks for any info put in folks

Hi ive come to realise that im paying way to much for my minnows for ice fishing, i have a minnow cage but i never manage to catch anything. does anyone have any tips and pointers to doin this. like maybe baiting them or location near warm water i dunno what im doing wrong here. thanks for any info put in folks

[/quot

canadian tire sells dippnets for 20$.other bait shops sell them as well. get your self a good bucket with a lid,drive to the aquaduct on the east side of welland canal in port robinson dip your net down beside any wall ther off the road and you should get lots of minnows there for the rest of the winter.

Do what I do, and the guys I fish with..... buy a few scoops of minnows, keep them in your garage with an airator, an just don't catch fish for most of the season....you'll only use about 4 minnows per outing! ;)

lol sounds like you fish the same way that my buddies and I fish :Gonefishing:

Minnow traps work good but don't buy the plastic coated ones. The wire mesh ones work much better. Just throw some dry dog food in it and let it sit for a half day or overnight.

Dip nets seem to work alot better than the cage styles. Just tour along the Niagara, and along any dock or back eddy you should be able to find some bait.

I agree with Kevin , dip nets work good in larger water bodies . Toss broken dried bread pieces into the water above the net after moistening the bread and making sure the very small pieces sink into the net , wait a minute & bring up the net . I use the minnow trap for catching creek chubs & pond chubs & as Eric said ,bread works fine....will have to try some dry dog food . Before buying the net at Crappy Tire , check out the bait & tackle shops , same price , better nets !

thx for all the great input ill have to find a place closer to me. niagara is too far for bait :P

Dirka14 .......you need to change that number ;) Try using the small 1.5" Rap jigs . They work great for ice fishing . You can tip the tiny treble on the bottom with a minnow head or tail or even a piece of gut bait . Learn how to use this lure . When it settles down at bottom , lift it up about a foot , let it quicky drop about 6" or so & then hold it still for about 10 seconds as it will keep turning . That's when you may feel a bite or a hard strike , and set the hook . I even added a 12" floro carb. leader with a snap to the lure & small loop at the top , just in case Mr.Pike hits it ! Good luck ! :Gonefishing:

Dirka you need to find moving water to find bait that is accessible in the winter months.

I have heard of guys dip netting from the pier in Hamilton for minnows, if you have a large container you can easily load it with your 10 dozen limit and use them for the better part of the year. Buy yourself an aerator at an aquarium store and you are good to go.

Tips for using a trap:

Make sure no ones sees you set it or it might disappear.

Make sure you put your name and number on or in the trap for compliance reasons

Write yourself a note so you don't forget to get it within 24 hours

Use hard crusty bread. Half a stale crusty role is more than plenty

Be vigilant when sorting the bait to avoid putting invasives i your bucket

Return unused bait back to where you caught it or dump it on land away from water.

My best advice would be to use a dip net in the water that you plan to fish

Tips for using a trap:

Make sure no ones sees you set it or it might disappear.

Make sure you put your name and number on or in the trap for compliance reasons

Write yourself a note so you don't forget to get it within 24 hours

Use hard crusty bread. Half a stale crusty role is more than plenty

Be vigilant when sorting the bait to avoid putting invasives i your bucket

Return unused bait back to where you caught it or dump it on land away from water.

My best advice would be to use a dip net in the water that you plan to fish

I had a really quick look at the regs. I take it this is in there somewhere?

Cheers,

Eric

Yes....the name and number on the trap is in the regs somewhere....that's not a dumb question. The answer will vary. This time of year you aren't going to get any bass fry. Various species of shinners or dace are most common, but there are all kinds of different species of minnow out there it would be impossible to tell what you may get.

Great. Thanks for the info. I'll have a good read over the regs when I get home tonight.

Don't get caught with red side dice as they are either threatened or endangered (not sure their category but it's not good). Also the obvious goby, rough, rudd and stuff like that. If your scooping at the duct or Niagara River into a school they're most likely the common emerald shiners that don't look anything like illegal baitfish. Traps in the creeks are a little harder to sort. Bass look like bass, pike like pike an baitfish like baitfish. I've got the odd carp or sunfish in there too. Your likely not going to catch emerald shiners in a trap.

Don't get caught with red side dice as they are either threatened or endangered (not sure their category but it's not good). Also the obvious goby, rough, rudd and stuff like that. If your scooping at the duct or Niagara River into a school they're most likely the common emerald shiners that don't look anything like illegal baitfish. Traps in the creeks are a little harder to sort. Bass look like bass, pike like pike an baitfish like baitfish. I've got the odd carp or sunfish in there too. Your likely not going to catch emerald shiners in a trap.

That was my main concern - that by netting baitfish, I would end up being in possession of something that's in violation of the regs.

No worries now. I'm going to give it a shot.

just tried to catch some minnows for tomorrow with no luck what so ever over in port robinson...anyone know any other good spots around here?

just tried to catch some minnows for tomorrow with no luck what so ever over in port robinson...anyone know any other good spots around here?

Never found the hardware cloth minnow traps much good for other than larger chub minnow in beaver ponds up north.

The only place I can think of for dipping perch minnows would be in a few back eddies in the upper Niagara now, there was one spot just under the Peace Bridge near an abuttment that was good years ago, used to grab them there for perching at Abino in the spring years ago, maybe they are still there.

• 11 years later...
17 hours ago, Uncle Buck67 said:

Anyone netting minnows in the Niagara River or Port Robinson 

On 1/9/2010 at 3:50 PM, dave524 said:

The only place I can think of for dipping perch minnows would be in a few back eddies in the upper Niagara now, there was one spot just under the Peace Bridge near an abuttment that was good years ago, used to grab them there for perching at Abino in the spring years ago, maybe they are still there.

Bait fish are coming in from Lake O. now (June 5 , 2021) . They will be in tribs  flowing to the lake.