Do you Need a Boat license if your motor is under 10hp?

fafaflohi

I cant seem to find on the website if you need a license for a trolling motor or a motor under 10hp. Can someone answer this for me so I dont get out on the water and then come to find out that it is a no no....

you need a license for any motor powered watercraft but I think you dont need insurance if its under 10hp

I was pretty sure that you needed a liscence for any motor powered craft as of september '09? Including trolling motors. I have a liscence anyway so I don't really pay attention to it anymore. Ask Bob Izumi. He'll know for sure.

Are electrics allowed in the Welland Rec?

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/boats/index.shtml#a3

What types of boats do I need to license?

A licence or registration is mandatory for all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft.

I was pretty sure that you needed a liscence for any motor powered craft as of september '09? Including trolling motors. I have a liscence anyway so I don't really pay attention to it anymore. Ask Bob Izumi. He'll know for sure.

Everyone must have a license to operate a power driven boat. Your boat needs one if motor is over 10 hp

My understanding is a motor is a motor, electric or otherwise. Would you suggest the driver of an electric car not require a driver's licence because it is electric?

Here's one to ponder that was put do me the other day - when an argo hits the water, does an operator need a PCOC? I would suggest yes, unless there is a special exemption somewhere. Further to that would it require to be licenced, being over 10hp? I don't particularily care as I don't own an argo nor have any intentions of ever owning one, but some here may want to look into that further!

An argo is still considered a recreational vehicle , not unlike an ATV or skidoo, and governed accordingly. If you run public trails it has to have a permit. A lake, being public waters would mean permit required.

I am still perplexed by this question.... My friend says anything under 10hp does not need a OC that is why they make 9.9hp but I would like to know for sure so I am not worried about that on the water and instead worried about who will catch more fish!!!!!

I am still perplexed by this question.... My friend says anything under 10hp does not need a OC that is why they make 9.9hp but I would like to know for sure so I am not worried about that on the water and instead worried about who will catch more fish!!!!!

Whats so perplexing. If the boat has a motor on it no matter what size you need an operators card. If the motor is over 10 hosepower you have to have it registered and have numbers put on the boat. If yoou have a motor on your boat get an OC.

Good advice Ollie ;)

If you are worried about the consequences do not ask for legal advice on a fishing forum. There were links provided and you can call your local Government office and get it right from the horses ........... :P

• 11 years later...

12 years later does anyone have an update to share.
Thinking about slapping an electric trolling motor on my fishing kayak.
Is there a pounds of thrust conversion to HP calculation I am unaware of?
I believe I need a pleasure craft operators card but the Kayak doesn't need to be licenced..... correct??

I got stopped on the grand river a few years back in my sportspal canoe with an electric, and the OPP wanted

to see my Pleasure Craft card. According to them, any type of motor on anything needs this card.

5 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

I got stopped on the grand river a few years back in my sportspal canoe with an electric, and the OPP wanted

to see my Pleasure Craft card. According to them, any type of motor on anything needs this card.

I believe that is correct.  Any motor electric or gas, seadoo etc need a pleasure craft licence. The only difference is the actual vessel does not need to be registered with an identification number on it if the motor is less than 10 HP

I bought a trolling motor bracket to put on my kayak this spring.

Never thought about the boater licence requirement, but I’ve had the card since it came out (and always thought the course was a total waste of time!).

TW65, if you are getting a mounting bracket for your kayak, be careful of thrust ratings on some brackets….I found some are rated only for 30 Lb thrust maximum! My old 70s era Minn Kota is a 30 Lb., and I have been thinking of upgrading to a 55 Lb kayak electric if I find it isn’t enough thrust.

I bought a Railblaza motor mount for the kayak, as it was rated the top end kayak bracket.

Same here Gene , I never knew I should carry my card for my canoe with a small electric motor ....but I understand the need as I've seen larger canoes flying up the Moose River with 20 hp gas motors .  If you put a 55 on your yak , you should  be able to pass that 20 hp gas guy !  B)

Last year my daughter was stopped by the O.P.P. 100 yards off the beach on Lake Muskoka using her stand up paddle board. She had her life jacket but was not wearing it. The marine enforcement officer told her she needed a Boating Operators Card (which she had) to operate anything that floats on the water. I don't think this is correct and maybe he only stopped her because she was an attractive girl in a bikini. No ticket was issued. On hot summer days people like to float on their tubes down chippawa creek. I have heard of guys getting stopped for not having their safe boating card because they were using the new tubes from CTC with a tiny little cheap electric motor for positioning. As to boat license or registration, not to be confused with the safe boating card, any boat with a motor of 10hp or greater has to be registered with the license numbers visible on both sides of the hull. When outboards first came on the scene in the early 1900's, people immediately began to race them. Classes were formed such as under 5 hp, under 10 hp etc. That was the reason for marketing motors at 9.8 or 9.9. An interesting side note was that Mercury was always cheating, their 9.8 was actually putting out closer to 15hp. They always won and this is what started the rumour that still persists to this day, that Mercury's of equal hp are faster than the other brands. It wasn't until many years later that some lakes in North America started the under 10hp restrictions. That was just a convenient cut off point as all the manufactures were producing 9.8 or 9.9's. Another thing that I was only recently made aware of..... when you registered your boat of over 10 hp and put your license numbers on the hull, it was good for life or until the boat changed ownership, it was also a free service. I bought my last boat in 2014 and was stopped by the police one day last summer while fishing Erie. On checking my registration he told me I still had a few years left before I had to renew it. This was news to me and sure enough on checking, it does have an expiry date.