Doug Draper needs to go!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for good measure, because I have received no feedback from the mouthpiece or the rag, I launched an official complaint at www.ontpress.com who deals with media complaints in Ontario. We'll see what comes of it.

Well I knew this would happen. Rebuttal in this weeks NTW. Guy pointed out that Draper must support abortion (human cull) and said some regular hunting stuff that's beneficial but then he whacked the indians. Still nothing to do with what happened at Happy RLF'S.

The reason people have made it this far, was their ability to adapt, hunt, capture food, etc..

This guy can thank his ancestor hunters for the existence of his genes today.

But he won't. Like so many people today, they don't realize that man, while making so many destructive impacts on the planet, is also charged with making productive impacts. Can animals regulate their own numbers? Sure. Do we need to hunt? No. But do we help the animals, by making sure none suffer needlessly while they adapt? Yes. Adaptation is evolution, and evolution doesn't happen over night. If a deer herd was left to manage it's own numbers after man had done the job, it would take several generations before the numbers equaled out to the environment. That would mean that, for years, disease, starvation, and self destruction of animals would need to happen. Starvation and disease. Yet somehow humanely hunting animals makes them suffer.

/rant (for the younger generation. For the older, I'm done)

He doesn't care! He wants everyone to become a vegan because you know the development that vegans create doesn't harm habitat and vegan food doesn't need fuel to deliver it etc etc. They are perfect people who are the only thing beneficial to the planet. Doug can't see passed his own halo and his doo doo smells like an angels breath.

I say we take him out in the middle of no where, and leave him. I hear there's a lot of no where in Ontario, way up north.

He doesn't care! He wants everyone to become a vegan because you know the development that vegans create doesn't harm habitat and vegan food doesn't need fuel to deliver it etc etc. They are perfect people who are the only thing beneficial to the planet.

I know 2 types of vegans: dietary vegans (those who choose to be vegans for nutritional/health reasons) and ideological vegans (those who choose veganism for political/ethical/environmental reasons).

I've never been able to understand the ideological vegans. As Dan has indicated, their supposedly ethically superior lifestyle is in reality only made possible by modern transportation technology combined with the globalization of international trade. It would have been awfully difficult to be a vegan 100 years ago. Our Native People were not vegans, so did they have inferior morals? No, but they did eat a local diet which of course had to include meat. To this day, I think a local diet is far morally and environmentally superior to the vegan diet.

I also find it quite ironic that a high proportion of the anti-globalization, G20 protest types of people are vegans. After all, it is only through globalization and through the kinds of agreements hammered at the G20 that the vegan lifestyle is made possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought someone posted the web address where you could file a complaint concerning journalistic integrity. Now that I have had time to cool off I'd like to have someone address these hateful comments. Doug Draper basically centered out one group of people irrelevant to a crime and called for a Holocaust. How can this man still be writing for the Regional paper 3 weeks later?

I thought someone posted the web address where you could file a complaint concerning journalistic integrity. Now that I have had time to cool off I'd like to have someone address these hateful comments. Doug Draper basically centered out one group of people irrelevant to a crime and called for a Holocaust. How can this man still be writing for the Regional paper 3 weeks later?

He gets away with it because the average Canadian can't be bothered with caring. And the paper stays quiet because his commentaries have yet to harm the revenue stream.

• 4 months later...

Well I finally received my answer form the OPC. Did anyone have any faith that a self policed body would persecute itself? Perhaps it's time to make this a legal issue for Mr Draper and the NTW.

Their response:

Mr. Andrews:

The Ontario Press Council has asked me to advise you that it declines to adjudicate your complaint against Niagara This WQeek in connection with a column about hunting.

The Council says it iis satisfied with the columnist's subsequent clarification.

Mel Sufrin, executive secretary

I would now ask that all of our members consider refraining from purchasing ad space from NTW and make it a point to contact one of their major sponsors and explain why we won't be using their services anytime soon. It is important that the word get out that the NTW has an anti-hunting agenda, they allowed hate literature to be published and did little to nothing to correct that when we asked them to address it. If anyone sees one of their plastic wrapped ink laden papers laying in the ditch or on the side of the road, make it a point to contact the circulation department and complain about this environmental mess.

Contact Tracy here: tracytravis@niagarathisweek.com or call and tell her at 905-688-2444 and ask for ex 226.

If you would like to show some respectful opposition from the hunting community you can contact Doug Draper here: drapers@vaxxine.com

and for those who did not read that piece of crap on the NTW website, here is a copy and paste:

Will Happy Rolph outrage extend to other animal cruelty?

There is a clipping of a cartoon I have hanging on a wall near my computer that says a good deal for me on the too often destructive relationship we humans have with other creatures on this planet.

Drawn by American cartoonist David Wiley Miller, the cartoon depicts a forested area where hunters are creeping in on a herd of deer with a crowded metropolis of highways, high-rise buildings and smokestacks looming in the background. “Let me get this straight,” says one of the deer looking over the hunter’s heads at the concrete, metal and smoke. “It’s our herd that needs to be ‘thinned’?”

Don’t you just love that word “thinned” we humans so often choose to use when we want to pretend, for some ‘scientific reason’, we need to engage in a little bit of population management for some other creature’s own good. And it almost always means selling hunting licenses to those guys among us (and they are almost always guys) who think they are going to find their manhood by blowing away a deer or a bear or a fox or a duck or whatever else happens to be ‘in season’ out there with a gun.

The other word for ‘thinning’ is ‘culling’. There are a lot of bureaucrats in our governments’ wildlife services who like to use that one. ‘It’s time for a culling’, they’ll say, because these animals are beginning to populate too much space per square acre, their numbers are placing too heavy a demand on the available food supply or they are encroaching on the habitat of others, which more often than not means they are encroaching on us. There is rarely ever thought given to the possibility that we might be encroaching on them.

So it’s time to go “hunting,” to do a little “thinning” or “culling,” which are all soft, deceptive words we use as if, for the good of whatever herd or flock or other arrangement these creatures are living in, we are doing them a favour by putting some in their population ‘to sleep’.

But let’s stop snowing one another. What we are really talking about is killing. And I know, mom doesn’t want to put it that way to the kids when dad is going out to do a little culling today. ‘Well, kids. Dad will be back later. He’s just going out with his gun and a box full of shells to kill some mallards.’ Just doesn’t sound fuzzy enough, does it? Sounds like a guy who could come home later and cuff the kids if he’s having a bad day (possibly because he didn’t bag enough ducks) and he thinks the kids are out of line.

I took a good look at that cartoon again last week when I was learning the news about the brutal assault last week by possibly two or more people on the Happy Rolph’s Bird Sanctuary at the northeast end of St. Catharines along Lake Ontario where a number of animals, including goats and rabbits and others, were killed or wounded.

The outpouring of anger from the public over news of this mindless slaughter of animal life is heartening and very understandable, given the long history Happy Rolph’s has played in the lives of many Niagara families (including mine) with taking children there to interact with some of the other creatures we should feel so fortunate to share this planet with.

But how far will that outrage extend?

Will it extend to cormorants – a Great Lakes bird that, after decades of being brought to the brink of extinction due to PCBs, DDT and other man-made poisons discharged to these waterbodies – is being “culled” again with the blessing of our provincial government, because, allegedly, these fish-eating birds are robbing the waters of too many of the fish anglers like to catch? Ironically, this bird appeared on one of our coins about the same time the McGuinty government, a few years back, decided it was a good idea to start with the shooting and oiling of their eggs so they won’t hatch.

Will it extend to the human world’s hunting down of the last few tigers on this planet, the last few families of elephants and gorillas, the fishing of the last few blue fin tuna (now classified as “seriously endangered species”) Canada’s government would not vote to protect at a recent global conference, the sharks being callously destroyed for their fins for a soup, and one could go on and on.

Maybe other creatures on this planet would be better off if we humans had ‘culling’. Better yet, can’t we find a way of living on this planet without so much killing?If you have any information on this latest brutal crime at Happy Rolph’s, contact the Niagara Regional Police at Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 and/or the Lincoln County Humane Society at 906- 682-0767.

Doug Draper can be reached at drapers@vaxxine.com.

It was so nice of Doug to write his pathetic attempt at a retraction and as you can see by the link in the original post the NTW thought it was serious enough to edit or pull the web posting...... NOT!

Oh ya have I shared this with you yet?

Dear Mr. Andrews - Thanks for notifying me of your complaint. I stand by my views which include a complete non-acceptance of hunting for reasons other than a need for food as a "recreational sport." I've hiked sites in Niagara - public lands like the Wainfleet Bog where I have come across a spot where I found a little pile of spent shotgun shells and beer cans. Now there is a great combination, which explains why I won't take my family through the Wainfleet Bog, even though the public helped pay for its preservation, again. Can't you find another recreational sport? try golf or think about buying a pool table.

Having said that, you have every right to express your opposition to my views in Niagara This Week or to take your opposition to the Ontario Press Council. I am prepared to stand on my more than 30 years record as a journalist in this region.

regards, Doug Draper

After 30 years of writing , it's obvious Mr.Draper has gone off the deep end . His viscious attacks are a sign he has lost his grasp on reality and the peetaholics have taken away his ability to write a sensible article . This happens when organizations turns into finatical "cults" and lose their sense of responsible journalism . What is the best way to tell NTW that we will let their sponsors know we will not support this newspaper or their sponsors ? Can we somehow send their paper back to them ....like dropping them in mail boxes with a note....RTS ?

I think that would send them a message !

I like that idea Smerch :clapping: It will certainly attract attention. Also let local businesses know that you will shop elsewhere if that business runs ads with that group of publications under Metrolandmedia. Start with our local tackle shops. Tell them to advertise with the other guys.

• 2 weeks later...

After thinking about using a mail box to send back the NTW paper , it may not be a good idea since the NTW is delivered privately & the post office may not be too thrilled & may try to lay charges........ And about telling places like the Truck Toppers that we will hurt their business may fall under the same thing . They may be able to bring legal charges against someone who causes them to lose business because of a complaint from another party (NTW) . I bought my truck cover from this company & they do excellent work . I don't think this is the route to take as it could backfire on us . Unless one is sure of the legal aspects , be very careful . The old way we went after companies like the NTW paper was to have a few dozen picketers with signs with quotations written by Draper about killing humans rather than rabbits etc.Perhaps speaking with a lawyer who knows about these issues can advise us . Draper has a big club on his side called peettah who would back him up on anything he printed against hunters & anglers . The NTW paper is delivered free & the dozens of adds have already paid for it . I think we need to get the word out to the editor that we will use our combined resourses as clubs and the internet to discourage people from reading their paper . Drapers moronic rant should be sent to every fishing/hunting site in Ontario for a start & flood the owners of NTW with complaints against this whacko Draper . Hope I am making some sense here.......:dunno:

Boycotting a product, service, or company that promotes or supports a policy that one disagrees with is completely legal. All we would be doing is declaring our intent to boycott those doing business with the NTW.

As for the mail. Some people get the paper at their doorstep and some get it in their mailbox. If it arrives in the mailbox, send it back via the route it came. However it is quite alright to call the region to complain about the stacks of newspaper we keep finding in the road ditches. That is just litter, and NTW is the source.

I really do want to buy a truck box cover and they were recommended but I won't go there now that I've seen their ad on NTW. PEETAW also calls for boycotts so they have no arguments against that.

I don't think we should disrepect any advertiser in their paper. I think we should just inform them of how hunters feel about that paper and suggest we'll use companies that advertise elsewhere. :pardon:

I really do want to buy a truck box cover and they were recommended but I won't go there now that I've seen their ad on NTW. PEETAW also calls for boycotts so they have no arguments against that.

If find all this very rediculous. Let me explain my point of view. I for one don't hunt, have never hunted and don't intend to hunt. That being said I also have no problem with people hunting, its all good to me.

The comments you have said are uncalled for. I think what you need to do is relax a little and think this through. Yes this writer seems a little off his rocker but this is a news paper and free speech is part of it. If you don't agree with him there are other ways to go about this. You can't label an intire company for the views of one person. You have the choice to read his articals or not.

Second, to boycott a great company like truck toppers just becuase they advertise in NTW is a total joke and shows that you have no support for the small guy. If you payed any attention to what is going on out in the world these days you would know that it is a very trying time for the buisness person (as you are odviously not). I'm sure advertising in NTW is driving some sales and every sale is needed these days just to get by for many small buisnesses in the area. For you to target a business with a boycott on this site over something that was clearly not directly involving their company (ex. the actual artical in question) is frankly the plan of a very one minded person.

I am a buisness person and I am offended. I don't advertise with NTW currently but have in the past and will in the future. If its going to drive sales in my place of buisness thats what i'll do.

Archived