Doug Draper needs to go!

I really do want to buy a truck box cover and they were recommended but I won't go there now that I've seen their ad on NTW. PEETAW also calls for boycotts so they have no arguments against that.

If find all this very rediculous. Let me explain my point of view. I for one don't hunt, have never hunted and don't intend to hunt. That being said I also have no problem with people hunting, its all good to me.

The comments you have said are uncalled for. I think what you need to do is relax a little and think this through. Yes this writer seems a little off his rocker but this is a news paper and free speech is part of it. If you don't agree with him there are other ways to go about this. You can't label an intire company for the views of one person. You have the choice to read his articals or not.

Second, to boycott a great company like truck toppers just becuase they advertise in NTW is a total joke and shows that you have no support for the small guy. If you payed any attention to what is going on out in the world these days you would know that it is a very trying time for the buisness person (as you are odviously not). I'm sure advertising in NTW is driving some sales and every sale is needed these days just to get by for many small buisnesses in the area. For you to target a business with a boycott on this site over something that was clearly not directly involving their company (ex. the actual artical in question) is frankly the plan of a very one minded person.

I am a buisness person and I am offended. I don't advertise with NTW currently but have in the past and will in the future. If its going to drive sales in my place of buisness thats what i'll do.

I think your just as much of a tool as the guy that wrote that artical. Maybe you should look into the possible legal aspects of your public attempt to boycott the advertisers of NTW as smerch previously mentioned. You may need that knowledge.

The way to get the paper's attention is through those paying it's bills, those paying the publisher's, editors' and writers' salaries (or commissions or however they are paid). As this is a free paper dropped off on every doorstep in Niagara (and an eyesore in many a Niagara ditch) that means getting to their wallets through their advertisers...plain and simple. A boycott may not be the best option, perhaps speaking with the executive at the advertising company and explaining their role in perpetuating the garbage spewed by washed-up journalists, and asking and insisting that they express the damage such garbage is causing to their business, may be a better option.

I think you might just be an idiot to claim that the comments made on this forum by the administrator and site owner are uncalled for. And I respectfully disagree that they are uncalled for. If you want to take your own medicine perhaps if you don't want to read this particular thread on this site...then don't! Simple concept eh?

As has been pointed out by Bigugli there are no legal implications to boycotting a business, So long as you don't get involved in slander or libel. Which has so far not been the case IMHO. So long as you give clear, honest, reasons why you support boycotting said company you are safe. No name calling, no recounting untrue events no lying.

Perhaps if you are looking for advertising space for your personal business, and since you are a member here you may wish to contact the administration about placing an ad on the site and suppporet the community in which you have voluntarily joined. I don't recall Chilli say he wasn't going to the local small guy, he said he wouldn't be going to Truck Toppers'. Do you think they are the only game in town? If you did I would say your short-sightedness may be of detriment to your business. In fact I believe Chilli is very locally minded in with his purchasing power. I don't see him carrrying on about big box store deals on equipment more talking about the local fishing and hunting stores.

And Chilli has admitted he is single minded...he is conservation obsessed don'tcha know?

Fishy Wishy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get Fished I do support local small guys. Always have and always will. If your going to name call please be kind enough to supply us with the name of your business so we know what kind of an owner you are who cares more about profits then integrity. You might not hunt but replace the word hunter for angler and re-read that whole article in similar context. For your info Doug Draper does not approve of fishing, eating fish, C&R or consumption or animal use of any kind and he feels the same way about you and your kids as he does for me. The only reason hunters were directly slandered by him was because he was responding to animals being killed.

I plan on taking my purchase to Niagara Truck n Stuff. I hear their ad on HTZ fm all the time but have not seen them in the NTW. I did take the responsible route and complained to the paper. When they shrugged that off (to my and others amazement) I took it to the Ontario Press Council. They shrugged it off too so now I'm taking the next logical step. I'm removing my support for those who support the NTW. I'm sorry your offended by this but this is my right. I could just sit on my hands and take my unjustified kicks to the mouth but I choose activism. If you think we should just take personal public attacks to our families nature, morals and judgement sitting down then you are truly a slave or man of no pride.

BTW I saw an article that said all men who run a similar business to your likes to beat their kids and won't rest until every fish is exterminated. Read that article again and put any other group of people in the hunters place eg. jew, muslim or gay and tell me that doesn't deserve some serious action by the NTW. To shrug that off was not only irresponsible but it is looking for a response. They expected our angry letters to promote more readership and give a platform to vegans but we've got better ideas. :tease:

To my knowledge, there were separate complaints lodged to the the Ontario Press Council over Doug Draper's piece. As a result of those complaints, Draper wrote this follow-up:

Draper.jpg

Sorry about the quality, but (strangely) it seems that this only appeared in hard-copy. I've never been able to find it on the web.

That is part of my point. You can see there was no desire to retract his comments at all and only his rant remains on the website. His retraction if you want to call it that was never put online.

Maybe Getfished has a point though. Perhaps we should just tip their advertisers off that we thought this was an unacceptable article instead of threatening to boycott good business people. :th_fudd:

That is part of my point. You can see there was no desire to retract his comments at all and only his rant remains on the website. His retraction if you want to call it that was never put online.

Maybe Getfished has a point though. Perhaps we should just tip their advertisers off that we thought this was an unacceptable article instead of threatening to boycott good business people. :th_fudd:

To be simple, you are not taking issue with the business, you are taking issue with a media business holding a point of view harmful to your interests. If said business advertises with that media outlet, they then finacially support the offending party. It only becomes of interest to the advertiser when there is a loss or gain to be realized. Hurt the cash fkow and business takes note, otherwise we just become another nuisance to be ignored.

Political action of any type has consequence, and you can't be everybodys friend. I've tried the friendly approach and it only works if you've got financial clout. Someone is going to have their toes stepped on. I would rather see ntw stomped than ourselves.

• 4 weeks later...

While NTW will print just about anything it's writers feel like conjuring up, regardless of whether any actual research is done on/into the subject matter of their articles, they do not allow posters on their website the same liberty of freedom of speech. I had my first and last ever post that I left on NTW's website on an article removed within 12 hours, when I left a recommendation of actually checking the article subject's self professed industry references. I knew for certain that the individual who wrote the article had not bothered to do so themselves, or even done any basic research on their subject, because the references do not exist.

The only thing of I find of occasional value that comes from that publication are the flyer advertisements that come bundled with it. If this thread's subject (Mr. Draper) wanted to write something that actually showed any sort of environmental resource consciousness, he'd cry for all the trees that gave up their existence to make the newsprint for that travesty of a paper, but last time I heard, Hell was still pretty toasty.

Archived