Cougars in Ontario (not at the croft)

drsmooth

I have no respect for the star at all. I do believe there are cougars though. Thanks for the sub topic title. That's exactly where my mind went. It's funny how we name people after animals when they display certain character traits eh?

The Eastern Cougar is supposedly extinct over most of its range, but every year there are sightings. I came face to face with one about 25 years ago in Nova Scotia. Reported the sighting of course, and the Land and Forest folks came out and interviewed me, asked a hundred questions or so, then sent some people out to the area where I saw it.

I have no doubt that they're out there. I saw one with my own two eyes from a distance of not more than 20 feet. Fortunately the cat was as surprised by me as I was by it. It turned and ran into the bushes while I stood stock still for twenty minutes waiting for my heart to slow down.

• 7 months later...

these cats are deffenitly in the niagara region, a couple years back in highschool, I had a freind who's horse was attacked by one. left deep scratches and a bite in the back end of it. the MNR placed a trail cam on the horse pen but that was about it. wasent to impressed with that since the attack happened not to far from a heavy populated area

I seen one this year on the first control hunt! Also have found tracks in Fort Erie in a bush I was bow hunting hunting last winter. There is not much the MNR can do even if they wanted to do something. Some guys I hunt with think the MNR released some to help control the Deer population. I myself don't think that is the case.

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

Cougars/Mountain Lions have been spotted on a regular occurrance in the Niagara Region, specifically there are consistent reports of the Mountain in Grimsby. One of the other hot spots for supposed sightings is in St. Catharines along the 12 Mile river by Ridley college ... there were a few articles in the substandard a few years ago. I also recall reading articles about Niagara on the Lake, and Fort Erie.

One of the most recent spottings came from a hunters trail camera which was setup in a farmers field in Wainfleet.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WhgTuA8mxvA/TGNK8NdeVLI/AAAAAAAAA5c/vQ0bvgq7FSg/s1600/!cid_1966291178E64550A2A454E8FF4DF154%40MarkPC.jpg

http://usabigcats.blogspot.com/

There was a sighting a few years back by Fourth Ave ... Whitty Farms ...

I also recall reading about a few sightings of a "bobcat" around the Queenston Golf Course in NOTL. I also read an article that indicated one of the older quary's between NOTL and NF had enough evidence to suggest there was one living nearby recently.

They exist, no questions asked. It is just a matter of time before someone gets enough proof or a hunter bags one. I have seen in two spots a good sized animal track ... wasn't a coyote or dog based on my limited knowledge ... the one was in mud and the other in snow (fresh snowfall). I was driving through the escarpment by Niagara College ... the tracks on the side of the road when I hit a stop sign ... very large tracks ... i could see them along the road and best figured it was not worth a closer look.

Cougars/Mountain Lions have been spotted on a regular occurrance in the Niagara Region, specifically there are consistent reports of the Mountain in Grimsby. One of the other hot spots for supposed sightings is in St. Catharines along the 12 Mile river by Ridley college ... there were a few articles in the substandard a few years ago. I also recall reading articles about Niagara on the Lake, and Fort Erie.

One of the most recent spottings came from a hunters trail camera which was setup in a farmers field in Wainfleet.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WhgTuA8mxvA/TGNK8NdeVLI/AAAAAAAAA5c/vQ0bvgq7FSg/s1600/!cid_1966291178E64550A2A454E8FF4DF154%40MarkPC.jpg

http://usabigcats.blogspot.com/

There was a sighting a few years back by Fourth Ave ... Whitty Farms ...

I also recall reading about a few sightings of a "bobcat" around the Queenston Golf Course in NOTL. I also read an article that indicated one of the older quary's between NOTL and NF had enough evidence to suggest there was one living nearby recently.

They exist, no questions asked. It is just a matter of time before someone gets enough proof or a hunter bags one. I have seen in two spots a good sized animal track ... wasn't a coyote or dog based on my limited knowledge ... the one was in mud and the other in snow (fresh snowfall). I was driving through the escarpment by Niagara College ... the tracks on the side of the road when I hit a stop sign ... very large tracks ... i could see them along the road and best figured it was not worth a closer look.

I have never personally seen a cougar in Southern Ontario, but I've seen two bobcats. One in Norfolk county, and one just downstream of Butterball restaurant in Jordan. The one along the bank at Jordan was eating a salmon carcass, and we watched it for a good 15 minutes or so. Both cats were good sized, but easily identified as being bobcats. Both sitings were reported. I've got a couple good pictures kicking around somewhere.

• 5 months later...

Archived