Any easy access places along the Grand River?

shimano25

Does anyone know any easy access places to park your car and fish along the Grand River (where there is relatively lots of fish)? I've been to Dunnville and Port Maitland, but I was wondering any places more further up the Grand River. Thanks (first time poster here).

there's a nice little park in York that has lots of spots to fish, right by the bridge. there's a great little backwater pool that chock full of Bowfin. the dam in Caledonia is pretty cool too, but you have to get there early enough to grab a spot, or you'll be fighting with other anglers, over who got who's line tangled. LOL. if you've got waders, you can fish right in the water at both locations mentioned.

Rich

I'de agree with that, but just because they don't doesn't mean it aint so. if you fish within 75-100 feet of that fish ladder in Caledonia, you can be charged with doing so. it's easier just to stay away, especially since all people ever seem to catch around the ladder are suckers. suckers don't seem worth getting a ticket over. LOL.

Few years ago..Packrat Ollie and myself were visited by the man in green.... we were at a dam.. the CO didn't say a thing about it. Asked how the fishing was etc etc then got down to business and asked for our licences, checked our stringer ( bass season was open) he said.. " that's fine.. good luck guys" and left.

When the Lorne Dam was still around.. I fished it as a youngster and so did plenty of others.. no one said anything about it either. :dunno:

it's not the dam that's the issue at all. it's whether or not the dam has a fish ladder, or means for fish to get past the dam. if there is such a device, then you must NOT fish within75-100 feet of that device. it's in the regulations, so there's no excuse if you get caught. if it's just a dam with no fish ladder, or fish passage device, then there's no rule that applies. unless of course, it's fenced in and says no fishing, or no trespassing.

I swing flies down below Caledonia, it’s a nice place to fish. I call the tips hotline every time I'm there as guys stand 75 yards downstream of the dam and launch their stuff right into the whitewater. That is an illegal practice. I have gotten MNR there before, and I will continue to call them every time I’m there. I'm not against any form of fishing, as long as it's legal.

Guest Sucker Fish
it's not the dam that's the issue at all. it's whether or not the dam has a fish ladder, or means for fish to get past the dam. if there is such a device, then you must NOT fish within75-100 feet of that device. it's in the regulations, so there's no excuse if you get caught. if it's just a dam with no fish ladder, or fish passage device, then there's no rule that applies. unless of course, it's fenced in and says no fishing, or no trespassing.

Actually.....I believe it states 75ft or 25mtrs from any obstruction.....does not have to be a ladder, from what I rememeber?

Anyone?

Actually.....I believe it states 75ft or 25mtrs from any obstruction.....does not have to be a ladder, from what I rememeber?

Anyone?

One thing I'm learning though on this forum is the rules change every year (Eg: the mudpuppy thread). I've always heard 75 feet up till now though from an obstruction. i'm not to anal about calling unless it's a sanctuary or fishway though. I've fished the dam in Dunnville.

Anyone?

You're absolutely right Sucker Fish.

Anything that impedes the upstream migration. I've even seen signage downstream of culverts on a small Erie trib.

Sauble Falls,Youngs Creek, Denny's Dam Southampton, Mill Dam in Owen Sound are clearly marked with cables and signage.

The problem with the Grand is that the river is so broad that several poles would be required to support a cable and they would probably be destroyed each Spring when the ice goes out.

For many years the 25 metre rule has gone unenforced on the Grand but a new generation of CO's are now laying charges and have been for a couple of years. I've seen people charged at both Caledonia and Dunnville. Not sure what the going rate is now but it was a fine of $187 last Fall. In one instance fishing gear was confiscated because these two guys didn't have enough sense to keep there mouths shut. They were bad mouthing him and he lowered the boom!

As stated earlier, it's really not worth it.

I didn't know that fishing near the dam in Dunnville was illegal. I see people fishing off the main road bridge near the dam every time I visit there. I also see people fish at the bottom of the dam near the corner of the parking lot and the other side where the rocks are. If I am wrong about this, let me know.

It can be viewed as a grey area fishing south of Dunnville Dam especially by the apt building, same with the rocks on the westside of the dam. Lots of guys cast southward... the current basically takes your line south. Everytime I have driven by there in the spring, it's a comical sight to see 6-7 people standing on one or two rocks trying to fish...

I just keep going.. on to Port Maitland.. I mean the silver bass have to go through there to get to the dam..

Next year I'm probably gonna hit the St.Clair River in Sarnia and try my luck there. :lol:

I didn't know that fishing near the dam in Dunnville was illegal. I see people fishing off the main road bridge near the dam every time I visit there. I also see people fish at the bottom of the dam near the corner of the parking lot and the other side where the rocks are. If I am wrong about this, let me know.

Read the regulations. http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsF...L02_163615.html

It's listed under General Fishing Regulations. Sub title General Prohibitions

It is illegal to:

fish within 22.9 metres (75 ft.) downstream from the lower entrance to any fishway or canal, obstacle, or any device designed to assist fish around an obstacle.

Spend some time reading the rules and you'll soon see that on any given day there are many that simply ignore them.

It can be viewed as a grey area fishing south of Dunnville Dam especially by the apt building, same with the rocks on the westside of the dam. Lots of guys cast southward... the current basically takes your line south. Everytime I have driven by there in the spring, it's a comical sight to see 6-7 people standing on one or two rocks trying to fish...

I just keep going.. on to Port Maitland.. I mean the silver bass have to go through there to get to the dam..

Next year I'm probably gonna hit the St.Clair River in Sarnia and try my luck there. :Gonefishing:

Thus, fishing off the bridge is okay because it is above the dam? I tried Port Maitland a couple of times. Didn't catch a thing there but saw a few of Filipinos catching sheepies and bullheads.

Read the regulations. http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsF...L02_163615.html

It is illegal to:

fish within 22.9 metres (75 ft.) downstream from the lower entrance to any fishway or canal, obstacle, or any device designed to assist fish around an obstacle.

Spend some time reading the rules and you'll soon see that on any given day there are many that simply ignore them.

Okay. But I thought it only applied to dams with fish ladders/passageways. I didn't know Dunnville dam had one.

Guest Sucker Fish

It is illegal to:

Thanks Roe Bag!! That's exactly what we were too lazy to do! Seriously though...Thanks for the info!! I guess, the old saying applies "when in doubt, check the regs"..as frustrating as it can be sometimes to read them, its worth a look!...........

I've seen rainbow trout jumping the Dunnville dam like a skipping rope. It's not an obstruction :blink:

No but on a more serious note that's how we saved the walleye program when it was threatened by VHS. We showed them the trout (carriers) jumping the dam to prove it wasn't a barrier.

Those cables you spoke of. I saw pictures on a trout forum and the cables were covered in tackle. Night fishermen I guess.

This is one of the good things about sites like this. Here's at least two guys who didn't know about the 75 foot rule so not only did you get a god message through but you might have saved them some ching ching :Gonefishing:

Okay. But I thought it only applied to dams with fish ladders/passageways. I didn't know Dunnville dam had one.

The key word is obstacle. Not too many years ago it did read "dams and fishways" but the terminology was altered to include other types of obstacles. ie: culverts and small waterfalls. They cause the fish to hold up, rest and perhaps even wait a few days for a good rain before they can move on. They'll stack up there waiting and it can get to the point where it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Hence the reason for such areas being out of bounds!

There actually is a fishway at Dunnville. It's on the backside of Byng Island upstream of the bridge. It's only visible from a boat or from Byng Conservation Area itself. I've been there a few times when the MNR were there tagging walleye.

Sucker Fish I couldn't agree more about the frustrations of decifering the regs. You can do this here but don't do it over there. You can do that there but don't do it over here. Five fish limit here. Two fish limit there. One fish limit with a Sportfishing license. No fish limit with a Conservation license. Give me a break! We went three years (2006 - 2009 I think) using the same regs from 06 so it could all be rewritten and simplified. Ya right!!!!!!

New York State and probably many that I'm not familiar with have the right idea. Same rules apply to all waters within the state. No confusion there.

Chili all that tackle wasn't just from night fishermen. It's from guys who misfired while deliberately casting into the restricted area.

Thus, fishing off the bridge is okay because it is above the dam? I tried Port Maitland a couple of times. Didn't catch a thing there but saw a few of Filipinos catching sheepies and bullheads.

There is no bridge south of the dam.. you are referring to the bridge looking north towards Cayuga etc.

I'll have to dig my fishing pics from Port Maitland out.. I guarantee you there is more than sheepies and cats there.. I have caught smallies, jumbo perch and hooked but did not land a big pike on a worm of all things. I've also witnessed a big pickeral caught. You just have to put the time in.. ( which I don't seem to have much of lately) :clapping:

Archived