There IS no bass in the Hamilton Harbour .........

Guest Rockfish

Guest Rockfish
This looks shopped, I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

Better get glasses Tony, or stop drinking at your desk. :D

Nice colours on the bass Dave......looks like the 12 mile smallie I gave you the other day ......ha !

Looks like you were floating ? Well , actually , the 12 mile smallies don't have that nice colour when it;s murky , but in clear waters with darker bottoms the colours are nicer .

How much does it cost to have a diver stick a fish like that on your hook? I need some of that luck. Dave, if you can bottle it, I'll pay top dollar for your luck.

Guest Rockfish
How much does it cost to have a diver stick a fish like that on your hook? I need some of that luck. Dave, if you can bottle it, I'll pay top dollar for your luck.

I think I've increased my catch odds prob by about 80% using live bait, shrimp or organic like corn in certain areas. The bass hit a pike sized 4" chub, fish for pike get bass, vice versa, lol.

I think I've increased my catch odds prob by about 80% using live bait, shrimp or organic like corn in certain areas. The bass hit a pike sized 4" chub, fish for pike get bass, vice versa, lol.

Don't I know it. Went for pike Wednesday evening, caught my PB largie. Go figure.

Interesting topic and photo...

I shouldn't say anything, but I've personally landed largies over 20" out of the Harbour. Five years ago or so I used to drop by every morning during the summer to catch 6 or 8 before work. Hamilton Harbour has a diverse range of fish- everything from too many bullheads and gobies to gar pike.

Over the past week I've been enjoying the odd hour after work with the fly rod at the Cootes end of the Harbour. Pretty much a bite every cast, mostly small bass, perch, bluegills, and the odd scrappy crappie.

I saw some nesting in the spring while I was carp fishing. Some were a decent size.

As a slight aside, at least a few people walking by said "oh there's some nice one's there". To which I would reply "Yea but they are spawning and out of season". Some people didn't seem to realize why that matters :clapping:

Guest Rockfish

I was joking about there not being bass in the harbour, there are some that say there aren't fish in certain areas though. :rolleyes: I've heard the tourny anglers have had trouble finding the bass through the summer more than other yrs. Could have been the heat waves or algae but they should be back on the feed now.

I've also heard that before all the construction at the Bayfront park, the bassing used to be really good there and it took a few yrs for the habitat to come back. More trout should be making their way into the harbour soon, if they aren't already there with the chinooks I've seen. :clapping:

Pike, I was saying there's no PIKE in the harbour. :deadhorse:

Always been tons of bass, but now it's shifting more to largemouth than smallies, and that makes baby Jesus cry.

With the temps dropping the brownies should be turning up anyday...if someone isn't catching them after dark on a slow crawled Clown J-11 already......

Archived