Proper Fish Handling

Dan Andrews

This one is going to get pinned guys. If you see a photo of a bleeding fish that you think has been released, PLEASE pm that member and paste the link to this post. Do not flame that member as we have allot of newbies to fishing here. It is the job of the seasoned anglers to inform those who have not informed themselves. Stewardship of the resources starts with education so lets do our best to educate without discouraging anyone from participating. Angling does not need to be complicated :thx:

Here is a wonderful page by the Ministry of Natural Resources; the people responsible for protecting and sometimes providing a healthy fishery for all of us to enjoy. Here you will find suggested catch and release methods. There is more material in the "more information" box on the right hand side. Please PM me if you find that the OMNR has moved this link.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_166032.html

OK guys how about some polite input with pictures from around the area. If you have a picture of a fish you had to keep because of an accidental mishandling or you decided to keep one, then feel free to post YOUR picture as an example of bad handling or what not to do. Hopefully as the thread goes on the pictures will get better and proper handling technique will be encouraged. :thx:

Great idea chilli, this is why I joined this site, to get good positive feed back, and info on fishing, as well as sharing any knowledge that I might be able to.

I don't really consider myself as a newbie to fishing, but I don't know everything, and I don't want to hurt any fish if I can help it.

I will say this tho, sometimes poop happens and there's nothing anyone can do about it, you just have to try best and do what you can do.

heres an example of a fish that i couldn't revive and she went home for dinner. this was my first trout i had ever caught, so happens it was on spinning gear with a large spoon. The giant barbed treble hook set deep in the throat and caused alot of bleeding while i removed it. I originally didnt take a pic becuz i went straight to reviving he,r and she did swim away at first but floated back through the drift a moment later. So i netted her again and brough her home for dinner.

trout.jpg

In the winter I don't even take them out of the water. I hate watching people drag them into the mud or up on the shore and then they snap a bunch of pics and kick the fish back.

PC030974-1.jpg

PC030973.jpg

P1120639.jpg

This one was KEPT

P1120657.jpg

This is also a no-no unless you can beat his record then please send me the photo's

PA150547.jpg

Hopefully see some of you on the water :Gonefishing:

Fish handling gets very tricky in slippery situations and dangerous waters. Most of the trout pictures you've seen so far have been in safer waters and the anglers have the advantage of wearing waders. In dangerous situations the best thing to do is bring a wide landing net and if possible have someone hold the net off the ground while you unhook the fish. Then to release just lower the net back in the water. We don't need to see pictures of your catch that bad that you need to put your life at risk or kill the fish. Better yet when choosing your location to land a fish try to choose a spot where you can stand in at least a few inches of water. This however is not recommended in the whirlpool as water levels move fast :o

Here's a hold you can try for pictures but notice I'm not grabbing his gill plate like some anglers do. I sacrifice my thumb by putting it inside his mouth for the picture and my other fingers are holding the jaw. Other hand gently cradles the rear. This was a very quick picture and it took a combined effort with my fishing partner so I could hoist, he snapped and I tucked er back in the drink

015-1-1-1.jpg

I held this bigger one the same on the head end but angled it up a bit so I wouldn't put too much pressure on it's belly. The heavier the fish the more damage you'll do by supporting its weight under it's organs.

hogbow.jpg

and finally this one bit my thumb as it struggled and was headed for the water when the pic got snapped and it barely cleared the side of the boat in a toss release. Read my lips

ouch.jpg

Knightfisher I doubt we can call that a desired C&R hold but we've all had to do it because like MHA said..... poop happens :D

What a great excuse to post fish pics! I always try to take care of fish, whether I'm releasing them or not. To be honest, I'm not too sure that every fish held by the gill plate, or is bleeding a little, is a goner--but its survival rate is likely diminished. We've ALL made mistakes, especially in the excitement/stress of bringing in a big fish. The horizontal support is obviously the way to go.

fishingsept08_0051.jpg

muskiemouth-1.jpg

quinte63.jpg

IMGP3274.jpg

squiregulp.jpg

It can be difficult when toothy creatures who like to bite and are capable of doubling back on themselves are involved!

wobbegong.jpg

And as Dennis mentioned, its best to leave em in the water whenever possible

sharkandme012.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am very curious... are there any anglers out there in Niagara who go barbless? I went "barbless" 10 years ago. Yes, I now have a few more smallies winning the "quick release" but I just hated what that dreaded little barb did to some "lure-caught" fish.

• 3 months later...

I love it when I accidentally delete a post just before pressing the Post button...

Anyway, I use barbless hooks almost exclusively- carp fishing, fly fishing, float fishing. I especially like them at matches when time is important and I want my hook in the water as often as possible, not stuck in a fish's mouth. I honestly don't feel that barbless hooks result in significantly fewer fish landed. And being clumsy be nature, and having impaled myself on more than one treble hook in the past, I appreciate that barbless hooks are not only safer for the fish but for this fisherman as well.

This is a great topic and I've really enjoyed reading the posts. Like Denis, I've been appalled to see guys dragging their fish across ice, gravel, and concrete to get a photo and then kicking them back in the water at various winter hot spots around Niagara. One of the things that I admired about carp anglers when I started to chase the queen of freshwater fish was their concern for the the health and welfare of their quarry. They often set a great example for the rest of us.

Fish can be frisky when you're trying to get them ready for a photo op. For this reason I usually kneel on the ground when holding a carp or larger fish. That way, if it makes a leap for freedom there is very little distance before it reaches the ground. This well fed beauty is about to do just that and plop down onto a padded unhooking mat. (Note the author's look of surprise.):

carp10.jpg

Unhooking mat in use:

carp7.jpg

Even a small jewel is precious and deserves respect:

carp11.jpg

carp13.jpg

• 5 months later...

those are some nice looking fish rainbow trout is my favorite fish :) keeping them in the water is a great idea i have been fishing since i was 3 yrs old but there are alot of newbies, but i do hate to see people who have been fishing for years handling there fish poorly or just don't give a crap about the fish if you dont plan on keeping the fish handle with care so it can go back happy in the water :)

Catch-and-Release Guidelines http://wildtroutstre..._guidelines.pdf

The use of live/organic bait should be discouraged as it increases the likelihood of deephooking.

Barbless hooks are recommended as they are easier to remove and therefore reduce

handling time.

Most catch-and-release research to date has focused on examining species-specific

responses to potential factors which affect mortality. However, due to the large number of

studies that have been completed to date, a number of general trends are emerging. Thus, while

caution should be used when applying species-specific findings to other species, the following

recommendations are, given the available knowledge base, general guidelines to be used to

reduce catch-and-release mortality for most species.

Angling Techniques

Circle hooks should be used as they will minimize the chance of deep hooking.

The use of artificial lures should be encouraged.

Fishing lines must not be left unattended as unattended lines have a greater chance of

deeply hooking a fish.

Fishing line used should be appropriate to the species of fish being sought. This will

prevent line breaking and reduce playing time.

Avoid angling during extreme water temperatures, both hot and cold, if you plan on

releasing your catch.

Landing a Fish

Angled fish should be retrieved as quickly as possible to prevent fish exhaustion.

Fish should be landed by hand where possible.

Where a landing net is required, it should be knotless and preferably made of soft rubber.

When landing extremely large fish (e.g. muskellunge), the use of landing cradle should

be considered.

Handling and Photographing a Fish

Keep fish in the water as much as possible to minimize air exposure.

Never place your fingers through gills or in the eyes.

Don’t hold heavy fish by the jaw as this may damage the jaw and vertebrae.

Hold large fish horizontally and support its body to avoid damage to the internal organs.

Use wet hands or wet cloth gloves to handle the fish.

Have camera ready prior to landing fish to minimize air exposure.

If possible, photograph the fish while in water.

Unhooking a Fish

Have longnose pliers available to back the hook out.

Remove the hook quickly, keeping the fish underwater.

If the fish is deeply hooked, cut the line and release the fish as quickly as possible.

Avoid using stainless steel hooks as they take longer to corrode if left in the fish.

Depressurization

Avoid fishing deeper (5-6 m) waters if you intend to release your catch.

Consider depth of capture when deciding on whether or not to release a fish.

Release the fish quickly after it is landed.

Avoid artificial swim bladder deflation (“fizzing”).

Revival

If there is current, hold the fish upright, facing into the current.

If there isn’t any current, gently move fish back and forth in the water until gill

movements return to normal and it is able to maintain its balance.

When the fish begins to struggle, let it swim away.

One thing I dont agree with there Blair......Better not to land fish by hand. I witnessed a guy at Bronte tail a 20+ lb salmon and ended up getting a treble hook that was in the fishes tail left from some snagger. I have seen a fish caught before with hooks in the body. I prefer a net. Also there is one picture above of someone leaning over / reaching out off a chunk of ice to release a fish....that could be very dangerous..you could go in with the fish. Safely releasing a fish means "your own" saftey first. People first.....fish second. Lots of people have lost a life over a fish.....just not worth it. We need to release the fish with the best chance for the fish keeping in mind your own safety as well

One thing I dont agree with there Blair......Better not to land fish by hand. I witnessed a guy at Bronte tail a 20+ lb salmon and ended up getting a treble hook that was in the fishes tail left from some snagger. I have seen a fish caught before with hooks in the body. I prefer a net. Also there is one picture above of someone leaning over / reaching out off a chunk of ice to release a fish....that could be very dangerous..you could go in with the fish. Safely releasing a fish means "your own" saftey first. People first.....fish second. Lots of people have lost a life over a fish.....just not worth it. We need to release the fish with the best chance for the fish keeping in mind your own safety as well

Hey Dave,

Absolutely AGREE with you!

Each day ... I'm "hopefully" learning and improving as well.

Many...Many....Many years of fishing and everyday we experience and learn some new stuff.

Bet we've all had our share of weird, differnent and difficult situations, some funny and unusual ones ...

This year, I stopped even trying to take a pic of the fish in my arms with the camera remote. (Thats were you got the "Hugs" ... as the timer was going they would shake in my hands and I'd grab them with a hug...lol)

As far as the ice, I dont even think about going near the stuff around open water any more (As in standing or getting right by the edge) Solid terra ferma for me!

Last year, I got a nice steelie (Around 10lbs) that actually did me and him a favour:

He jumped right out of the water on a ice shelve. I slid him right to me, took out the hook and then kinda "Bowled" him right back out the sheet of ice into the water.

Took about 10 secs with no harm done.

Could there have been another way? not at that location and at that time. *SMILES* Big and healthy .... he swam right away without even a blink.

Anyway, the Thread and everyones imput and suggestions do lead to more knowledge and a better understanding of proper fish care.

Hope to improve even more!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing i notice hasnt been mentioned here is taking eggs and releasing.You dont have to squeeze every last bit of roe outta the fish! Alot of guys do that,like its the last loose fish they will ever land! If you intend to release (legal here not in U.S)the fish then a couple quick squeezes should be it.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

i almost hate to admit this but ive witnessed another fishermen quickly remove the eggs from the fish he landed (cut them open) and then acted like he was reviving the fish and pushed it back into the water so he could keep fishing without hitting limit. Other fishermen have witnessed this before as well, so it seems like a lot of people are doing it. I know the next time I see that happening I'm gona do something about it.

i almost hate to admit this but ive witnessed another fishermen quickly remove the eggs from the fish he landed (cut them open) and then acted like he was reviving the fish and pushed it back into the water so he could keep fishing without hitting limit. Other fishermen have witnessed this before as well, so it seems like a lot of people are doing it. I know the next time I see that happening I'm gona do something about it.

Ive seen it too! Seen guys cut them and just toss them back without a care too...It makes me sick!

Jim

That is just wrong! Wish I could gut him and throw him into the river:) I have never seen someone doing that. But the big black ugly salmon. I saw a guy just chucking bags full of them into his truck. It was just gross not to mention those things just looked gross...

Archived