Proper Fish Handling

Dan Andrews

Ive seen it too! Seen guys cut them and just toss them back without a care too...It makes me sick!

Jim

I have seen the evidence of this in numerous places. Dead gutted fish along the shoreline. I shake my head and say a little silent mother earth prayer everytime. Completely disgusting behaviour espescially in this day and age.

• 5 months later...

Great Idea for a thread, unfortunately the link wasnt working for me. Maybe they changed the page location since the OP was made?

One thing I would change in the OP is that not every bleeding fish is a dying fish. For example I just caught one yesterday where it was hooked in the gum and through the fight a bit of its gum tissue was torn and it was bleeding from that spot. Im pretty sure that would never cause a fish to die but I could be wrong. Wouldnt want newbs thinking they should harvest every fish that is showing blood...thats for me to do :P lol jk

I just checked the link and it seems to be working for now.

Not every bleeding fish will die but every picture of a bleeding fish will cause a flame war unless you indicate it was kept. The idea for the original post was to have a reference you could link into a pm instead of flaming some kid for proudly posting his personal best but bleeding trout etc. Just a post to keep things civil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest chasechrome

Sometimes it's not what you catch. It's being granted the opportunity to fish tomorrow by the powers that be!

Hey Chef...wanted to foreground your signature for its' great insight. That, and the full-blown irony...hope it comes to pass that all will finally understand that "the powers that be" is us...our stewardship of this fragile and finite resource. You're on it bro...

• 2 months later...

I always use barbless hooks or hooks with the barb pinched down. Maybe I lose a fish or two because of this, but I just consider those "long line releases". In fact, it's recommended to use barbless hooks on bonefish and other hard-mouthed creatures like tarpon because the barbless hooks penetrate better into the concrete-like plates that these fish use to crush crabs and shrimp... so hookups are actually improved. I'm not aware of any advantage in our freshwater fish, except that it is so satisfying to see a fish swim away without having been injured by pliers or too much time out of the water.

I am often disgusted by the way fish are handled by the "professional" jerks on WFN. Holding a large pike or musky up by the gill plates while it dangles tail down is damaging the spine of these fish... often fatally. Fish have neutral buoyancy in the water and allowing gravity to yank their spines apart by holding them up is very likely to injure or kill them. I recently attended a talk by John Valk, one of Ontario's most experienced fishing guides, and he was very strong on the damage this practice does. There is also a very good study by Professor Bruce Tufts of Queen's U. that co-related fish mortality with time out of the water, and reveals that 60% of fish die after being held out of the water for 60 seconds. Cradle your fish, snap a shot and get it back in within 5 seconds.

I always use barbless hooks or hooks with the barb pinched down. Maybe I lose a fish or two because of this, but I just consider those "long line releases". In fact, it's recommended to use barbless hooks on bonefish and other hard-mouthed creatures like tarpon because the barbless hooks penetrate better into the concrete-like plates that these fish use to crush crabs and shrimp... so hookups are actually improved. I'm not aware of any advantage in our freshwater fish, except that it is so satisfying to see a fish swim away without having been injured by pliers or too much time out of the water.

I am often disgusted by the way fish are handled by the "professional" jerks on WFN. Holding a large pike or musky up by the gill plates while it dangles tail down is damaging the spine of these fish... often fatally. Fish have neutral buoyancy in the water and allowing gravity to yank their spines apart by holding them up is very likely to injure or kill them. I recently attended a talk by John Valk, one of Ontario's most experienced fishing guides, and he was very strong on the damage this practice does. There is also a very good study by Professor Bruce Tufts of Queen's U. that co-related fish mortality with time out of the water, and reveals that 60% of fish die after being held out of the water for 60 seconds. Cradle your fish, snap a shot and get it back in within 5 seconds.

Agree with you brother...careful, there may be fallout... :ph34r:

cc

There is also a very good study by Professor Bruce Tufts of Queen's U. that co-related fish mortality with time out of the water, and reveals that 60% of fish die after being held out of the water for 60 seconds. Cradle your fish, snap a shot and get it back in within 5 seconds.

Thats the study I've been trying to find for the last lttle whle, thanks flyguy.

Any chance either of you have the link? I'm interested in reading it, but am having a hard time finding that article.

I have found a couple of the articles but it is based on a specific species walleye and then bass. As for the walleye I can see them being out of water for an extended period a problem mainly due to the difference of light, I doubt there eyes are capable of adjusting quickly. Sort of like humans sleeping and someone turning the light on you have that 30-40 seconds of blinking trying to adjust your eyes.

Practice Makes Perfect... Always room for improvement!

* I personally will take MORE THAN 5 SECONDS while handling a fish.

If you "hurry things" - I find it makes the situation both DANGEROUS for Myself and the Fish. Nothing wrong with taking the time to do it right!

http://www.acuteangling.com/Reference/C&RMortality.html

Catch and release fishing is widely used as an aquatic conservation and environmental protection mechanism for preservation of fish fauna. The efficacy of catch and release fishing has been studied for nearly a half century. Because of the variability in techniques used in both the angling (catch) phase and the handling (release) phase of the typical fishing process, a range of conservation success has been achieved by these programs

Key Mortality Factors

Two factors predominate when considering the causes of angled fish mortality: the hooking location, and the degree of physiological stress suffered by the fish.

Hooking location - This factor demonstrates the largest source of variation in mortality observed in the studies and experiments reviewed. It is consistently shown that deep-hooking (hooking in the gills or gullet) causes relatively high mortality, up to 35% when accompanied by bleeding, whereas normal hooking (lips or jaw area) consistently causes minimal mortality, which is consistently less than 5% and often less than 1%. The Maryland Department of Natural Resources, in its Recreational Catch and Release Mortality research program concludes that the location of the hook wound is the single most important factor influencing catch and release mortality (4). If the hook wound affects a vital organ, mortality, is high. The location of the wound site has been demonstrated to be a function of hook size, type, the use of natural bait versus artificial lures and additional situational factors.

Studies show that when fish are hooked in the lips or jaw area (shallow hooked), mortality is negligible, typically less than 1% (4,5). Conversely, mortality is at its highest when fish are hooked in the esophagus or gills (deep hooked) (5,11). Necropsies performed on gut hooked fish in a study by (5) Grover, et al, found that the majority had sustained major internal damage to the heart, stomach or liver. Grover demonstrates that hooking location effectively correlates to mortality rate.

Physiological Stress - Exercise performed by fish during a catch event, or caused by angler handling methods and air exposure all create measurable physiological responses. Physiological stress in fish has been measured by experimenters using cortisol, lactate and respiratory gas concentrations.

Although the catch and release mortality studies reviewed do not show statistical results directly correlating the degree of physiological stress to mortality, an experiment by Ferguson and Tufts examined the effects of artificially induced stress on rainbow trout. They concluded that various forms of physiological stress contribute to fish mortality (12). It is reasonable to infer that such stress also contributes to mortality in angled fish and therefore, that minimization of stress assists in reduction of catch and release mortality.

Discussion of Optimization Techniques

The use of specific tackle and technique parameters can directly reduce mortality, as previously demonstrated. The following presents a more detailed discussion of their actions on critical physiological aspects of catch and release fishing.

1. Bait Type - Sport fish are generally caught using either natural or artificial baits. Several studies compare mortality rates between these two catch methods13,11,3,8. In each case, without considering hook type, it was reported that artificial baits (lures or flies) significantly reduced both the incidence of deep hooking and the rate of fish mortality. The low mortality associated with artificial lures is probably the result of their active motion, increasing the likelihood that fish are hooked immediately on contact in the lips or jaws and avoiding deep hooking injuries (6). This information suggests that, where applicable, (not all species can be caught with artificial baits), using artificial baits rather than natural baits can significantly reduce mortality.

2. Hook Type - For certain types of fish, natural bait is a requirement for capture. The data reviewed show that the type of hook used can dramatically reduce the likelihood of deep hooking and lethal injury with natural bait. Use of the traditional "J" hook, shaped like the letter "J", demonstrates a significantly higher risk of lethal injury than the recently adopted "circle" type hook. A white paper recently issued by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (14), provides detailed analysis and comparisons of hooks and recommends the use of circle hooks to minimize fish injury. Circle hooks, because of their recurved point, are unlikely to penetrate a fish until they lodge in the corner of the jaw, thus greatly increasing the likelihood of safe, shallow hooking and rarely result in deep hooking (6,10,8,5,13,11,3).

3. Degree of exhaustion of fish - Although studies show that all measurable physiological effects of sublethal stress as a result of being caught are fully reversed within approximately 24 hours (12), it is reasonable to infer that fish played to exhaustion may suffer more serious stress than fish that are relatively rapidly landed (9). Therefore, rapid landing is safer and less likely to result in complications affecting survival after release. Strong tackle and heavy lines allow fish to be landed rapidly, avoiding exhaustion and minimizing extreme exercise and the possibility of negative stress effects. It can, therefore, be inferred that the use of heavy tackle is desirable in lowering mortality. Conversely, extremely light tackle and lower strength lines may increase the risk of exhaustion, and should be avoided.

4. Time spent out of water - Studies show that the longer the length of time that fish are removed from the water, the greater the measurable effects in the fish's short-term biochemical profile. Increases are seen in the physiological indicators of stress (increased blood cortisol and lactate concentration) and the direct gas exchange measurements (carbon dioxide retention and lowered oxygen tension). Smaller fish have been shown to have significantly lower anaerobic resiliency than larger fish (12). These results demonstrate that minimizing time spent out of water, minimizes the risk of mortality, especially in smaller fish.

5. Landing technique - Fishermen have traditionally used various types of nets to "land" or secure a fish at the boat and to finalize the "catch". Nets can cause a variety of injuries and tend to greatly increase the time required to release a caught fish. Depending on the type of material, nets can inflict varying degrees of damage to a fish's sensitive fins, gills, slime coat and scales. Exposed hooks tend to snag in nets often exacerbating the time needed to remove hooks and release fish. The use of an alternative landing method, such as a Boga-grip tool can eliminate these hazards. The Boga-grip utilizes a pair of blunt jaws that can encompass the bony jaw edge or the fleshy area in the corner of a fish's mouth without puncturing or applying pressure to the area. The tool's rotatable component eliminates torque and an internal shock absorber dampens motion to help prevent injury to restrained fish (15).

6. Handling - Simple observation as well as experimental results indicate that minimized handling will reduce the probability of additional post-catch stress, the likelihood of physical injury to fish due to struggling and loss of body slime. The use of purpose-designed unhooking devices and handling tools that are designed to hold fish without physical damage and enable quick release, such as the Boga-grip dramatically reduces the amount of handling necessary prior to release (15).

7. Method of release - Haphazard release of fish after capture has been shown to be an additional source of stress. Fish should be released in safe (reduced predator access), low stress (minimal current), recovery areas. Prior to release, fish displaying any signs of exhaustion or stress can be effectively resuscitated by holding the fish (using a Boga-grip to prevent injury) with its head pointing into the current. If no current is present, fish may be moved in a figure-8 pattern. Fish can be observed rapidly recovering from the effects of exercise and stress. Upon demonstrating stable equilibrium and strong swimming ability, fish are released. Safe, low stress recovery areas (minimal current and protection against predation) further afford released fish adequate time to recover their strength without requiring further exercise against adverse water conditions while simultaneously isolating fish from potential predators.

Conclusions

Eight potential optimization techniques were assessed. Each of them demonstrated a positive effect on reducing mortality in catch and release fishing. If one or more of these techniques are applied, either by education or legislation, to a catch and release program, it can be inferred that significant reductions in fish mortality can be realized. Although it cannot be assumed that applying more than one technique will necessarily yield proportionately greater reductions, it can readily be extrapolated that some further improvement can occur with each incremental optimization of tackle or technique.

It may therefore be concluded, that a catch and release program, designed to utilize those parameters applicable to a particular fish, fishery or region, can provide a significant reduction in mortality. Real-world, empirical testing is indicated to test and determine actual performance improvements attainable by such programs. More knowledge is needed in this area to help further the efficacy of catch and release programs and their use as fishery management tools. Such information is also needed to educate conscientious anglers in the best ways to catch, handle and release fish.

Any chance either of you have the link? I'm interested in reading it, but am having a hard time finding that article.

http://www.queensu.ca/biology/people/faculty/tufts.html

This is the link for Dr. T.

There are a number of excellent articles that, rather than "opining" about proper fish handling, provides sound scientific research on the matter.

cc

Physiological Stress - Exercise performed by fish during a catch event, or caused by angler handling methods and air exposure all create measurable physiological responses. Physiological stress in fish has been measured by experimenters using cortisol, lactate and respiratory gas concentrations.

Although the catch and release mortality studies reviewed do not show statistical results directly correlating the degree of physiological stress to mortality, an experiment by Ferguson and Tufts examined the effects of artificially induced stress on rainbow trout. They concluded that various forms of physiological stress contribute to fish mortality (12). It is reasonable to infer that such stress also contributes to mortality in angled fish and therefore, that minimization of stress assists in reduction of catch and release mortality.

4. Time spent out of water - Studies show that the longer the length of time that fish are removed from the water, the greater the measurable effects in the fish's short-term biochemical profile. Increases are seen in the physiological indicators of stress (increased blood cortisol and lactate concentration) and the direct gas exchange measurements (carbon dioxide retention and lowered oxygen tension). Smaller fish have been shown to have significantly lower anaerobic resiliency than larger fish (12). These results demonstrate that minimizing time spent out of water, minimizes the risk of mortality, especially in smaller fish.

___________________________________________________________________________________

A front for Bocagrips as far as I can tell..

Above...from the report is all that is salient to our discussion here...

• 4 months later...

Don't do that with pike , they will get even with you ! lol Large fish may be harmed holding them by the jaw , especially the trout -salmon family .

Don't try it with bowfin either their teeth might not be noticeable but they can certainly bite through line.... and hooks

KSykYFf.jpg

I would hate to see what they could do to someone's hand

___________________________________________________________________________________

A front for Bocagrips as far as I can tell..

Above...from the report is all that is salient to our discussion here...

Dr Tufts experiments were the most Bogus and inconclusive garbage printed, the conclusions were completely in accurate as it relates to wild fish and catch & release practices. His findings and experiments were not at all reasonable to be duplicated in angled fish, the man is trying to prove his agenda with bogus experiments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Catch-and-Release Guidelines http://wildtroutstre..._guidelines.pdf

The use of live/organic bait should be discouraged as it increases the likelihood of deephooking.

Barbless hooks are recommended as they are easier to remove and therefore reduce

handling time.

Most catch-and-release research to date has focused on examining species-specific

responses to potential factors which affect mortality. However, due to the large number of

studies that have been completed to date, a number of general trends are emerging. Thus, while

caution should be used when applying species-specific findings to other species, the following

recommendations are, given the available knowledge base, general guidelines to be used to

reduce catch-and-release mortality for most species.

Angling Techniques

Circle hooks should be used as they will minimize the chance of deep hooking.

The use of artificial lures should be encouraged.

Fishing lines must not be left unattended as unattended lines have a greater chance of

deeply hooking a fish.

Fishing line used should be appropriate to the species of fish being sought. This will

prevent line breaking and reduce playing time.

Avoid angling during extreme water temperatures, both hot and cold, if you plan on

releasing your catch.

Landing a Fish

Angled fish should be retrieved as quickly as possible to prevent fish exhaustion.

Fish should be landed by hand where possible.

Where a landing net is required, it should be knotless and preferably made of soft rubber.

When landing extremely large fish (e.g. muskellunge), the use of landing cradle should

be considered.

Handling and Photographing a Fish

Keep fish in the water as much as possible to minimize air exposure.

Never place your fingers through gills or in the eyes.

Don’t hold heavy fish by the jaw as this may damage the jaw and vertebrae.

Hold large fish horizontally and support its body to avoid damage to the internal organs.

Use wet hands or wet cloth gloves to handle the fish.

Have camera ready prior to landing fish to minimize air exposure.

If possible, photograph the fish while in water.

Unhooking a Fish

Have longnose pliers available to back the hook out.

Remove the hook quickly, keeping the fish underwater.

If the fish is deeply hooked, cut the line and release the fish as quickly as possible.

Avoid using stainless steel hooks as they take longer to corrode if left in the fish.

Depressurization

Avoid fishing deeper (5-6 m) waters if you intend to release your catch.

Consider depth of capture when deciding on whether or not to release a fish.

Release the fish quickly after it is landed.

Avoid artificial swim bladder deflation (“fizzing”).

Revival

If there is current, hold the fish upright, facing into the current.

If there isn’t any current, gently move fish back and forth in the water until gill

movements return to normal and it is able to maintain its balance.

When the fish begins to struggle, let it swim away.

Very sound info. Its great to see it here. I try to inform anyone that gets into my boat as a beginner of a few simple facts. Least amount of handling possible, don't touch their eyes,don't stretch their jaw,and last but not least I remind them that fish breath water not air so keep them there if you can. The conversation that follows that intro can be a great way to inform.

Archived