Jerky

Dan Andrews

The basic Recipe:

1 Part soy sauce

1 Part Worcester

Spices to taste - I like Montreal Steak Spice

1/2 cup of brown sugar per pound of meat

Use enough marinade to completely cover the meat

Marinade strips of meat (1/4 thick x 1 1/2in wide) for at least 12 hours. Trim all fat and pick a cut with the least amount of marbling as possible. Wild game is the best.

Remove from marinade and pat dry with paper towels then dehydrate or dry on a smoker until strips barely twist.

If making big batches be sure to freeze in portions. You can buy preservatives but if your like me and appreciate the pureness of wild game you'll either make smaller batches or just freeze it until your ready to chew.

What's your recipe?

I recieved a very similar recipe from my uncle years ago, for making moose jerky.

Same basic liquids, then added GARLIC (powdered or fresh pressed), black pepper, red pepper flakes (to taste - I would now use my homegrown dried Thai Chilis ground in my coffee grinder)whatever other spices tickle your fancy.

No Dehydrator? No Smoker? No problem! Hang with turkey skewers (best) or toothpicks from the rack in your oven (have a drip tray underneath or your wife might get mad). Oven turned as low as it'll go. Dry for 6-12 hours depending on the thickness of the meat...You'll know when it is ready.

Keep refridgerated. No need to reeze...it doesn't last long enough to spoil :roflblack:

I may have to build a smoker..or buy one... Hmm gots me thinking now.

• 4 months later...

I make my own jerky all of the time...especially when beef goes on sale at Sobey's! Tried quite a few recipes with mixed results. I have found that keeping it fairly simple is the way to go. If you get too many flavours going you loose the natural taste of the beef. Worcestershire is definitely the best liquid base and then add any combo of salt, pepper, garlic powder, chilli pepper (try different variations such as Ancho, Chipotle, Red Dragon, etc), onion powder, cumin, etc. The longer you marinate the better.

A few batches ago I did some plain salt & pepper. If you haven't tried this you won't be disappointed. Just season the beef generously with sea salt and black pepper and throw it in the dehydrator. Voila!...Beef Jerky that tastes like a steak! Yumbo!

You can also cut the beef in different directions to vary the texture. Cut across the grain for a totally different chew than when you cut with the grain. Most people like the texture when cut with the grain; but if you really like to get a bold flavour out of the marinade, a cross-cut meat will absorb and hold a lot more of the flavour. (Think of it like staining wood)

Well this isn't a "jerky" recipe, but it can be adapted to make a jerky. You'd just have to use larger cuts. The secret is to use a wok (no other utensil will do in this case), and the absolutely lowest heat setting (works best with gas ranges).

DRY FRIED BEEF

This dish takes time– the more the better. By the time the dish is finished, the vegetables should have been cooked to almost nothing, and the beef should be dried out to nearly the consistency of jerky (but somewhat crunchy). Try this one with ramen noodles. Be careful to use the absolutely lowest heat setting possible– you want the dish to dry out, not burn.

1 tbs corn or tapioca starch.

½ cup soy sauce.

2 tbs hot pepper paste.

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper.

½ cup canola oil.

½ cup fresh ginger shredded into 2" matchsticks.

2 lbs very lean beef cut into 2" matchsticks (it is easier to do this when the meat is frozen).

½ cup carrots, cut into 2" matchsticks.

½ cup celery, cut into 2" matchsticks.

½ cup green onions, cut into 2" matchsticks.

2 tbs sesame oil.

Combine starch, soy sauce. hot pepper paste and black pepper.

Marinade beef in soy sauce mixture for at least 30 minutes.

Heat oil in wok until very hot, stir-fry ginger for 30 seconds.

Add the beef with the marinade and stir-fry for 30 seconds.

Add the carrots, celery and green onion, stir-fry for 30 seconds.

Reduce heat to absolute lowest level ( you should be able to place your hand in the wok without discomfort)

Leave on very low heat, stirring occasionally for at least 1 ½ - 2 hours, ensuring that all contents are evenly distributed around the wok. The longer you cook this dish, the better it will be.

When finished, the vegetables should be reduced to blackened remnants, and the beef should be dry and crunchy.

Increase heat to maximum, when hot, add the sesame oil and stir-fry vigorously for 20 seconds, serve immediately.

Archived