Rec canal ice

minnow killer

Me and a buddy went down to the rec canal by the old ski jump on wednesday to check the ice. and it looked like someone beat us out by a day, there was some holes iced over, but i drilled a new one to check. there was 3.5 inches of good solid black ice. Almost enough. with the cold the last few nights it should be good to go soon. We also looked at Dain city area, it was wet, lots of wet spots. thats gonna take some more time to stiffen up.

thanks for the update MK. i live in chippawa and with the price of gas these days its nice to know without driving there. i like to fish the dain city section so if you ever need a fishing partner(best not to icefish alone)just pm me and i'll try to make it

Well i might take you up on that, but ice fishing buddy is a little flaky at times, he just learned that ice floats. And you should if seen him jump on cooks bay last week every time it cracked. LOL where ya jumpin to man!

Hopin to get back to check dain city next weekend.

screw the price of gas,i had to go check for myself. there was a guy on the ice in dain city so i ventured out to have a look. it was barely three inches with about two to three inches of snow on top. i have a floater suit but i really don't want to test it in january. the shore ice was a little less because the water level seems to be slowly dropping, but not down to where the seaway leaves it for the winter. with the continuing cold weather i'm hoping we have six inches by next week(thats what she said LOL)

I fished the rec on wed and thursday closer to townline road. The ice was anywhere from 3- 4.5 inches where I was. I also went and checked behind the welland hockey house off the old boat launch. I spudded about every ten feet with ice being about three inches then all of a sudden one spud and it went right through. I cleared the snow from around my feet to see and one foot was half on black ice and half on white ice. The white ice was max 3/4" with nothing under it but water. I carefully backed up and went back and fished by townline rd. Very important to proceed with caution and not think that the ice is the same everywhere. I really hope that no one follows my steps out thinking that the ice is good because it definitely was not. When checking the ice I have my survival suit, spud bar, grip spikes, and a pack of nylon rope in my pocket. It is still early in the season and proper precautions need to be made. Also I learned that never fish on ice that you wouldn't take your family with you. I lost count of how many people walking by would just walk right up to me then ask how thick is the ice. You tell them 3-4" and they all of a sudden get a scared look. They never think of asking how thick it is before walking out.

Be safe, and have fun!

Me and a buddy went down to the rec canal by the old ski jump on wednesday to check the ice. and it looked like someone beat us out by a day, there was some holes iced over, but i drilled a new one to check. there was 3.5 inches of good solid black ice. Almost enough. with the cold the last few nights it should be good to go soon. We also looked at Dain city area, it was wet, lots of wet spots. thats gonna take some more time to stiffen up.

By a day, try a week

Guest Pike212

I was on the ice today.3.5-4" everywhere I drilled. Had to cross some slop the first 10 feet to get on. Seen few people skating and walking their dogs in the middle further down, dunno if I'd be doin that myself.

Was a light bite, couple dinks and popped the air bag on one nice perch which I had to keep. No takers on my 6" gizzard shad... next time??!

I was also on the rec Sat. and Sun. morning. Four inches of solid ice and only one 4" perch to show for my efforts. Oh well there is always next weekend, see you out there.

Guest Pike212

Thanks for the heads up, I was gonna head there this weekend. Is there any way to find out when they drop the water in the canal? I'd hate to find out the hard way.

Archived