Signs Of Spring

Dan Andrews

A big turkey vulture landed on the roof of a house about 150 meters down the road from me .Lots of traffic going by ,didn't scare it off for about 10 minutes. I got a shot from here but I'm still having probs. posting pics ..... Spring is in full swing , lots of birds have returned , robins all over the place . Will be picking worms soon........

A big turkey vulture landed on the roof of a house about 150 meters down the road from me .Lots of traffic going by ,didn't scare it off for about 10 minutes. I got a shot from here but I'm still having probs. posting pics ..... Spring is in full swing , lots of birds have returned , robins all over the place . Will be picking worms soon........

The turkey vultures are out in force now. Was out fishing and 100yds away was this tree hanging over the water. Must have been 2 dozen or more in that one tree waiting and watching.

The pussy willow tree in my yard is in full bloom .....lots of buds open .......I'll be taking the big pruners to the tree shortly ! Spotted a bright red cardinal and a jet black grackle in the apple tree also . Sparrows are going in and out the bird houses like Chilli goes in and out the beer store ! smile.gif

As an added attraction ........just got back from Fonthill saw 3 deer near Decew Rd.in the trees , and a killdeer . Happy spring ....today is the day ! Gonefishing.gif

Another .....today .....saw a beautiful blue heron fly over me at Port Dalhousie ....gorgeous bird !! And near the light house I saw a pr. of red winged black birds ....you can't mistake their call . The marina was loaded with pairs of geese (fighting) , saw bill ducks (mergansers) , mallards , and coots and a few swans .

Blue Heron's are back. Snow doesn't stop just because signs of spring arrive but these signs simply build until spring is here to stay and winter is gone for another 6 months. As these plants and animals emerge/return they'll have to battle with the elements. This is the disadvantage of returning too early but perhaps the benefits are just too good for them to refuse.

I was going to say that with the snow all melted, we can see what slobs us Canadians truly are,

The dog and I went for the morning walk along 1km of local road. The cop watching me from his speed trap could only shake his head as I rounded up $10 in beer empties. I left a lot still on the private property side of the ditch. Too bad I don't have a place to store aluminum cans any more. I could have gathered another 5 bags full of pop cans along that short stretch of road.

Not everything about spring is pretty.

Well... Yesterday early morning, since the snow was gone, it was dry and there was no ice (ran out of excuses :blahblah1: ), I went for my first run of the year (2K since I want to ease into it) the birds were singing the air was cool but not cold and all was right with the quiet (except for my heavy breathing/panting :crazy: ) of early morning.

Glad I went yesterday... I wouldn't have gone if it was today LOL

FW

Archived