12 Mile Creek

smerchly

I cannot find this on line but it's in todays Standard with a photo of the big tubes from the top of the escarpment to the generators at the hydro Plant below . These tubes are about 112 yrs. old and were riveted together . They are at least 6' inside as I have walked under them yrs. ago . They are all being replaced , 4 in all and are welded together . The Decew Gen.Hydro plant is warning the public there will an increase in water flow , generating 23 kw of electricity , which means higher water levels for the 12 Mile Creek . I'm not sure just how much higher they mean , but it will affect some of my fishing spots by changing currents and back flows .It will also affect currents in Rennie Park and also the Heywood Gen. plant at Port Dalhousie and the harbour below ,depending on how much they release into the lake .

The other news item ,also concerning the 12 Mile creek is the undecided building of a small power plant behind the Hotel Dieu hospital (Shickluna Gen .Plant) . It will yet have another impact on the flow of water to Port Dalhousie . With power demand fluctuations at different hrs. of the day , the whole system may be very unpredictable , so people will have to be more careful while fishing the 12 . I have to wonder why we need more electricity sometimes when Ontario Power just had another big surplus which we had to pay to get rid of to the USA .dry.gif I believe we have paid out 173 million dollars to them to take our "free" electricity .wacko.gif

http://www.stcathari...tandard%20Staff

I found some info on the Decew Hydro in yesterdays paper ......

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3077552&auth=Matthew%20Van%20Dongen,%20Standard%20Staff

Well,

We need more "green" energy (Shikluna will be classified as "run-of-river" which is a green enegy source) with the provincial Libs closing our fossil fueled plants.

Of course we aren't in a peak elecritical usage time of year currently. It isn't winter (peak heating season) nor summer (Peak cooling season). And much of Ontario's industry is closed or slow. Look locally, Look at GM look at Abtibi. So while we aren't using the power now, building the capacity is a boy scout move.

FW

Archived