Upper Is On Fire

Dan Andrews

011.jpg

Laker from a kayak. What a thrilling fight

013-1.jpg

This rainbow went home for dinner

019-6.jpg

I forgot my minnow net so I borrowed 2 shiners. I dropped them in a container of bath or Epson's salts and shook them awhile. Dropped them straight down on a small lead and waited. I was anchored for the laker and had I not been paying close attention he would have barely nibbled the bait off. The rainbow I was drifting and it was just on there but again what a wild fight in a kayak.

Guys are getting bows right off the rocks at Nicholl's all day long. Mine both came after the lunch hour and I was only out for about 30 minutes in total. Once I got lunch I left as usual. I've seen quite a few more posted on facebook the last few days also. Mine was a little big for a keeper but plenty of nice small eaters being caught with the occasional brute :P

Mine was a little big for a keeper but plenty of nice small eaters being caught with the occasional brute :P

Nice pics and great report, thanks!

I could only imagine if you get a monster on (out there in the Kyak).

Ever get one on and it flips you over?

Safety considerations aside... it would be one hell of a funny sight to see you fighting one that way.

:roflblack:

Are they only gettin em on minnows or will throwin spoons work from shore? I've been out chuckin spoons in the upper and the lower a few times in the last few weeks with no luck, and i lost 3 on bottom so far.

Hey Drifter , if you have a plain flat roof on your vehicle with no rack , you might try those thick kiddie noodle thingys made from tough spongy material . Then lash a rope over the roof & tie with rope through the windows etc. They are cheap and can be cut in half . Some are solid and some have a hole through them . Cheap !

• 7 months later...

It's diet. The lower river rainbows have much lighter coloured meat. The upper and Lake Erie are much shallower allowing more light producing more fresh water shrimp. At least that's my take on it.

It's diet. The lower river rainbows have much lighter coloured meat. The upper and Lake Erie are much shallower allowing more light producing more fresh water shrimp. At least that's my take on it.

Wild rainbow trout that eat scuds (freshwater shrimp), insects such as flies, and crayfish are the most appealing. Dark red/orange meat indicates that it is either an anadromous steelhead or a farmed Rainbow trout given a supplemental diet with a high astaxanthin content. The resulting pink flesh is marketed under monikers like Ruby Red or Carolina Red.

Steelhead meat is pink like that of salmon, and is more flavorful than the light-colored meat of rainbow trout

In the wild or on the farm, the color of a trout's flesh depends on its food supply. A naturally occurring pigment called astaxanthin, found in many crustaceans, accumulates in the flesh of salmon and trout that eat them, and this pigment is the source of the orange-red color typical of salmon. Wild rainbow trout in fresh water eat a mixture of insects and small crustaceans, which gives the meat a light pink color. Their seagoing cousins, salmon and steelhead (the latter a rainbow trout that has migrated to the ocean), eat a higher proportion of crustaceans, mainly small shrimp and their smaller relatives called krill, and have resultingly darker orange meat.

The vast majority of farmed rainbow trout get a diet based on grain and fish meal, and they have pale-colored meat that cooks up to an ivory color. But if you feed them salmon feed, which includes a synthetic form of astaxanthin, the meat takes on a typical salmon color, and to my taste, a slightly fuller, more salmonlike flavor as well. Most Western trout farms now produce at least part of their crop in the salmon-colored form, sometimes labeled "steelhead" even if they have never seen salt water.

Skin color, too, can vary. The most striking example is "golden" rainbow trout, raised by a few farmers. This is not the same as the wild golden trout, a separate species native to a few streams of California's Sierra Nevada, but simply a color strain of domestic rainbow trout. By crossing and back-crossing descendants of a single golden-colored mutant, breeders have created a true-breeding stock of trout with the characteristic lengthwise rainbow stripes of normally pigmented rainbow trout on a brilliant golden-yellow skin. The result is an especially pretty fish that stands out in a retail display (and usually sells for a bit more). All the examples I have tasted were also raised on pigmented feed, and compare in meat color and flavor with other red-meated trout.

Determination of astaxanthin stereoisomers and colour attributes in flesh of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) as a tool to distinguish the dietary pigmentation source.

Abstract

The presence of carotenoids in animal tissue reflects their sources along the food chain. Astaxanthin, the main carotenoid used for salmonid pigmentation, is usually included in the feed as a synthetic product. However, other dietary sources of astaxanthin such as shrimp or krill wastes, algae meal or yeasts are also available on the market. Astaxanthin possesses two identical asymmetric atoms at C-3 and C-3' making possible three optical isomers with all-trans configuration of the chain: 3S,3'S, 3R,3'S, and 3R,3'R. The distribution of the isomers in natural astaxanthin differs from that of the synthetic product. This latter is a racemic mixture, with a typical ratio of 1:2:1 (3S,3'S:3R,3'S:3R,3'R), while astaxanthin from natural sources has a variable distribution of the isomers deriving from the different biological organism that synthesized it. The high-performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) analysis of all-trans isomers of astaxanthin was performed in different pigment sources, such as red yeast Phaffia rhodozyma, alga meal Haematococcus pluvialis, krill meal and oil, and shrimp meal. With the aim to investigate astaxanthin isomer ratios in flesh of fish fed different carotenoid sources, three groups of rainbow trout were fed for 60 days diets containing astaxanthin from synthetic source, H. pluvialis algae meal and P. rhodozyma red yeast. Moreover, the distribution of optical isomers of astaxanthin in trout purchased on the Italian market was investigated. A characteristic distribution of astaxanthin stereoisomers was detected for each pigment sources and such distribution was reproduced in the flesh of trout fed with that source. Colour values measured in different sites of fillet of rainbow trout fed with different pigment sources showed no significant differences. Similarly, different sources of pigment (natural or synthetic) produced colour values of fresh fillet with no relevant or significant differences. The coefficient of distance computed amongst the feed ingredient and the trout fillet astaxanthin stereoisomers was a useful tool to identify the origin of the pigment used on farm.

• 5 weeks later...

Mec sells foam blocks to mount the yak on your car roof and strap it down. Might cost you 12$ a block or something. You'd need two I imagine.

cheaper than that man. Canadian tire sells a canoe/kayak rooftop kit for 18 bucks. comes with two blocks, two straps and a large rope which i cut in half for the bow and stern lines.

Archived