Idiot Littering Anglers

Dan Andrews

I know you folks know I like to run a rant free board but there is an issue in our society that just doesn't seem to be getting through to some of our kind :deadhorse: . You morons who go down to a world class biosphere like the whirlpool to enjoy fishing and simply just discard your tangled fishing line and beverage containers need to be taken out of the gene pool. You are a disgrace to the entire outdoors community and everybody hates your guts.

Last year the local ARA group pointed it out. This year the Friends of the Glen told me how much fishing trash is down there and I'm only talking about one place here folks. These losers are everywhere amongst us and we need to stomp their backsides off the banks when we see it happen. I will allow this thread to be used to disgrace local anglers amongst us if we can catch them in the act. If you can get a picture of some bank litter bug in the act or even better yet make a youtube video of you confronting one of these complete losers then feel free to post it here.

As I said I prefer to keep this website for a positive use only and leave the arguing on the other sites but if but if we can catch even one sacrificial lamb and discourage this laziness I think it may have a positive impact. I challenge you to get the pictures :slap:

http://www.wesh.com/video/27955242/detail.html

When the PCDCC conducted their recent shoreline Pitch-In Clean-Up, the number of plastic water bottles that we picked up (a trash item attributable to the general population) was closely rivaled by the number of styrofoam bait containers picked up (a trash item directly attributable to anglers) :angry:.

I just can't wrap my head around why people who like to fish will so readily trash the places where they fish.

The average weekend warrior does not give a damned. These are the same people who were out the past few weeks fishing for bass and pike. The same folks who do not know how to read the fishing regs. I see them every day. They usually pack up and move when they get company, but not all of them.

Like Joni sings: " don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got til it's gone?"

I know you folks know I like to run a rant free board but there is an issue in our society that just doesn't seem to be getting through to some of our kind :deadhorse: . You morons who go down to a world class biosphere like the whirlpool to enjoy fishing and simply just discard your tangled fishing line and beverage containers need to be taken out of the gene pool. You are a disgrace to the entire outdoors community and everybody hates your guts.

Last year the local ARA group pointed it out. This year the Friends of the Glen told me how much fishing trash is down there and I'm only talking about one place here folks. These losers are everywhere amongst us and we need to stomp their backsides off the banks when we see it happen. I will allow this thread to be used to disgrace local anglers amongst us if we can catch them in the act. If you can get a picture of some bank litter bug in the act or even better yet make a youtube video of you confronting one of these complete losers then feel free to post it here.

As I said I prefer to keep this website for a positive use only and leave the arguing on the other sites but if but if we can catch even one sacrificial lamb and discourage this laziness I think it may have a positive impact. I challenge you to get the pictures :slap:

http://www.wesh.com/...242/detail.html

AMEN!

It is always up to us RESPONSIBLE citizens to lead by example.

It may not seem fair ... but thats how life works.

Since it only takes a few minutes ... I usually bring a spare kitchen garbage bag with me when I fish and will pick up the litter around me.

Yes, I get super frustrated when I see a garbage bin 50 ft away and these morons do not seem to use them.

Yes, I'd like to throw them in the water with cement shoes.....

as for bringing them to task on this site, I would suggest this:

FIRST, give them the opportunity to CORRECT THEMSELVES.

Politely point out their "mistake" and ask them to clean up.

I'd like to see a video of someone doing that, first and foremost.

We all make mistakes, and I would like to believe that most people ... given the "Chance" will see the errors of their ways.

For those who think its a joke and really do like to litter:

HANG EM HIGH!

Did you see this?

http://www.wesh.com/video/27955242/detail.html

There it is for the whole world to watch. A slow death of a majestic creature because some slob angler couldn't figure out how to put it in his pocket. Some slobs have at least figured out how to use their lighter to burn it into a hard ball before throwing it away but that takes effort too :angry:

Lets not forget about cigarette butts. Im sure everyone on this board has seen someone toss a cigarette butt on some rocks or even into the water. I personally make a comment every time i see it and it is usually met with some sort of mind your own business but i like to think bringing it up will make them think about it at the very least. Look on the shore line and you will often see more cigarette butts than fishing line, bottles and balloons put together. Its absolutely disgusting and alot of people, even ones who are generally good to the earth, seem to ignore.

Neat little device Coachman , I have a garbage bag full of line in my truck but much of it is wrapped up in sticks & other debris . While walking the Port Dal. pier today I saw a swan sitting on her eggs amongst the big rocks . She used some beaver sticks and small logs for a base and added a bunch of other twigs & some plastic bag pieces to build the crude nest . All around her was a pile of plastic bottles, lids , paper and other plastic material . When I was young ,NONE of this crap existed . The invention of plastic is the biggest garbage problem we have . Also on the shore and in the water were thousands of styrofoam beads which come from solid sheets . We now use this stuff for packing material for many products instead of wood excelsior or even newspaper that was used years ago . And of course Timmies cups & lids are all over the place . Cigarette butts ? Don't even try to stop that one ! Most smokers feel they have a right to toss them anywhere they wish . What can we do ? NOTHING ! Except pick up after these dim witted morons (except the butts) . Don't expect the government or cops to do anything as it's hard to catch them in the act and the fines are a joke . I picked up some line today but the plastics can stay right there . I also picked up a nice J-13 Rapala which I didn't mind picking up at all !:)

I think the reason people are leaving their garbage behind is because they don't know what to do with it and they are restricted as to the amount they can put on curbside at home. You are expected to know what type of plastic is recyclable and which is not, what do you do with packaging that is made of paper and plastic together, what is acceptable for composting, what to do with the lids off of cans. It seems like you need a three hour training session to figure it out. But I suspect that the leading cause is the restriction on the amount you can throw out at home. Nobody wants garbage sitting around for an extra week.

I think the reason people are leaving their garbage behind is because they don't know what to do with it and they are restricted as to the amount they can put on curbside at home. You are expected to know what type of plastic is recyclable and which is not, what do you do with packaging that is made of paper and plastic together, what is acceptable for composting, what to do with the lids off of cans. It seems like you need a three hour training session to figure it out. But I suspect that the leading cause is the restriction on the amount you can throw out at home. Nobody wants garbage sitting around for an extra week.

I totally disagree with this. I don't care if you sort your garbage at home. When you bring it to the shoreline you bring it home. If you had enough room in your hands or pockets on the way in then you already confirmed you have the room to carry it out. If people are so stupid that there recycling woes at home make them throw trash on the shoreline they should just give up and toss themselves in the river and take a few deep gulps of water.

When I hunted moose , our trip out was about 500 lbs lighter than the trip in . Food , pop , beer , meat , gas etc etc. was all used up and anything burnable was burned . We didn't leave anything behind except our foot prints . If you bring stuff in to a fishing spot ,taking out the wrappers , line ,empty water , coffee cups ,or beer bottles, butts, etc., should be a no brainer . I said it before , the fines are too small ....start the fines at $500 and watch things improve.

:th_fudd::slap:

I took my boys to a local quarry yesterday. I hadn't been there before and when I got there I was struck by what a beautiful oasis this place was. The water was crystal clear and there was plenty of access points around the perimeter. The kids had as great time catching crayfish, swimming, snorkeling, looking at frogs & turtles, 'rescuing' tadpoles from shallow puddles that were sure to dry up in the next few days, etc. All in all a great place to spend a summer afternoon with the kids...with one exception...all the friggin broken beer bottles, empty bottles and cans, and the rest of the trash strewn around the place! We see the same thing year after year from the local conservation areas, to the trails in Algonquin Park, to the small beaches on quiet little lakes north of Sudbury, and on the side of every road and highway between here and there.

I really don't think any amount of fines or enforcement initiatives will put a stop to this. Those of us that do not litter and who take our trash out with us and dispose of it properly are not behving this way because we fear repercussions for our actions...we do this because we care! The root of the problem is that some people just don't care. And those of us that do care will, unfortunately, have to clean up after the buggers that don't unless we want to watch the places we love deteriorate into crap-holes. My wife and I have gotten into the habit of bringing a garbage bag with us virtually every time we venture outdoors. The kids take great pride in filling it up. It's not much, but it helps and I would like to think that it will be better in the future if enough kids are encouraged to do the same. At the end of the day I think all we can do is model good behavior and hope others will be influenced by our actions.

If you want to see just how effective enforcement can be, look at some of the U.S. interstates. In many states they are spotless. WHY???

Tough enforcement with fines starting at $1000. A lot of the revenue for many state agencies is generated through the collection of fines. If you are from out of state you get to pay direct before you continue on your way. Some fines include community hours cleaning the same roadway you trashed. Low risk offenders get put on road gangs to clean up. They can earn their upkeep in jail. ( I know of one jail out Chatham way that used to send out a chain gang)

If it hits the news that folks are suddenly getting dinged for littering, they might just stop and think

When hiring new cops I would like to see them start out by doing easy stuff like going after garbage tossers, radar control & other traffic duties like cell phones etc . Make all the fines large enough to pay for their salary with incentive bonuses . The problem is , and the cops , and all the legal eagles know it , is if you crack the whip too hard & laws are working , the revenue from the fines stop also ! This mentality goes for all crimes . So they pay lip service to most crimes by writing up new stuff on paper but never enforce it . I'm almost as angry at the system as I am with the garbage idiots .:deadhorse:

Some anglers can be quite slobs!! Imagine what their homes look like.It is too bad some of us good anglers has to clean up after them too.It is no wonder we are losing great fishing spots due to the dirty bunch.

Rocky

While visiting Port Dal today I walked the area behind the Legion across the road from Tim Hortons & noticed piles of branches left from the big wind storm & all the garbage barrels were gone . Many people walk this area so the cups & water bottles, etc. just get left on the grass or tossed into the drink . I see they have a big event going on at the Henley Island, so I guess all the resources are being used there to impress the VIPs . They COULD help prevent the dimwits from tossing garbage by getting serious with fines & enforcement , but it's obvious it 's not a priority .

• 3 weeks later...

THe other day I stopped by Jordan at the single lane bridge just to check out water levels etc.I park in the gravel lot near the water. I notice an old couch someone has left at the edge of the lot ,about 4 car lengths away sit to Niagara region employees in their pick up truck eating McD,s for lunch. I figure ok these guys are there to clean up the old couch. So I walk down stream a bit about 20mins or so,then head back to the lot,what do I see... the couch still there and two McD,s bags and cups where the boys in the truck once sat laying on the ground... :deadhorse: I picked up the lunch bags and tossed them on top of the couch...maybe they were called away on an emergency and were coming right back ,NOT :th_fudd:

THe other day I stopped by Jordan at the single lane bridge just to check out water levels etc.I park in the gravel lot near the water. I notice an old couch someone has left at the edge of the lot ,about 4 car lengths away sit to Niagara region employees in their pick up truck eating McD,s for lunch. I figure ok these guys are there to clean up the old couch. So I walk down stream a bit about 20mins or so,then head back to the lot,what do I see... the couch still there and two McD,s bags and cups where the boys in the truck once sat laying on the ground... :deadhorse: I picked up the lunch bags and tossed them on top of the couch...maybe they were called away on an emergency and were coming right back ,NOT :th_fudd:

That just ridiculous eh, would be nice to have that truck id #, get those lazy asses fired.

Archived