Upper Niagara River Shore Fishing

humble

Alright...so im looking for some good shore fishing spots on the niagara river side of fort erie. I want to be able to catch bass,walleye, mabee the odd muskie. I need help on what to use and where to go. THankkss

Best thing I can suggest is this. Hop in the car and head for the Niagara Parkway. Starting at Nichols in Ft Erie, and working down to Chippewa, there are numerous spots with public access for fishing from shore. No one place is really better than another. It's more about being at the right spot at the right time. I just keep moving along until I find fish.

Thanks, we've already tried that to. and since im 14 i cant drive.! I was just looking from like a spot anywhere close to fort erie where they know their catching those type of fish and what to use?

Thanks, we've already tried that to. and since im 14 i cant drive.! I was just looking from like a spot anywhere close to fort erie where they know their catching those type of fish and what to use?

Unfortunately there is no "one" spot where the fishing is good all the time on the Niagara. It's just the way the river is.

Safest odds of catching fish would be by Nichols marina. Beyond that you have to travel; car bike or leg it.

Yes, everywhere the people are fishing :pardon: Go to the water and see where people are fishing. They're down there at the main spots all day and with patients you learn how to fish each spot. Bottom of Jarvis (that whole stretch) or nicholl's are good places to start.

What everyone one is saying is correct...and even if we told you exact coordinates and the exact bait, time, depth, water temp, clarity and such, you may not catch any fish.

The Niagara River is like a big "machine" constantly pumping and moving water. It could be dirty one day6 and clear the next. It could have fish in one spot one day and not the next.

However, right now bass are open. Fish for smallie in the deeper water...they will usually be on sharp breaks and in the eddies. Largies will be shallow and in the slack/slow water. Largies relate to cover like docks, fallen trees, logs, boulders even tires and grocery carts. There are tonnes of rock bass and silver/white bass kicking around.

Find a creek channel flowing into the Niagara (don't think there are any flowing out of except for Chippawa) fish around the creek channel. This will bring in food from up the creek and also provide a deeper area close to shore. The creek will usually dig out a deeper channel into the river.

If you through live bait you should increase you odds of catching something. I would recomend deciding on a target species...like smallies. If thats what you want to catch, through lipless crankbaits, spinner baits, and tubes. These are all really easy to use, can cast a mile and cover water quickly (and don't get smelly and mushy in the hot summer sun). You may not catch as much as with live bait, but you will increase your chances of finding active fish by covering water faster. Largies will hit the same baits, but try a big ribbon tail worm (I like black, black/blue tail) or Senko worms. Wade in shallow areas of the lake and river and cast towards structure, but be really careful and go with a buddy. If you go to the local bait shop, I am positive they will take the time to show what to use and how to rig it.

Fishing isn't an automatic thing. You won't always have the right formula and the fish just might not be in the area. If it was that easy it would be called "Fished" not fishing! With so much cleared area on the Niagara/Erie shore there are lots of spots, please respect property owners and don't go on the docks. When you do achieve success write it down or remember (I'm old so I can't remember diddly) what you used, time, date, where and the type of fish you caught. You will start seeing a pattern and can use it for you next outting or for the next year. It will help you alot, and then we will be hitting you up for spots!

PM me if you have any other questions and good luck. Happy Bass Opener!

What everyone one is saying is correct...and even if we told you exact coordinates and the exact bait, time, depth, water temp, clarity and such, you may not catch any fish.

The Niagara River is like a big "machine" constantly pumping and moving water. It could be dirty one day6 and clear the next. It could have fish in one spot one day and not the next.

However, right now bass are open. Fish for smallie in the deeper water...they will usually be on sharp breaks and in the eddies. Largies will be shallow and in the slack/slow water. Largies relate to cover like docks, fallen trees, logs, boulders even tires and grocery carts. There are tonnes of rock bass and silver/white bass kicking around.

Find a creek channel flowing into the Niagara (don't think there are any flowing out of except for Chippawa) fish around the creek channel. This will bring in food from up the creek and also provide a deeper area close to shore. The creek will usually dig out a deeper channel into the river.

If you through live bait you should increase you odds of catching something. I would recomend deciding on a target species...like smallies. If thats what you want to catch, through lipless crankbaits, spinner baits, and tubes. These are all really easy to use, can cast a mile and cover water quickly (and don't get smelly and mushy in the hot summer sun). You may not catch as much as with live bait, but you will increase your chances of finding active fish by covering water faster. Largies will hit the same baits, but try a big ribbon tail worm (I like black, black/blue tail) or Senko worms. Wade in shallow areas of the lake and river and cast towards structure, but be really careful and go with a buddy. If you go to the local bait shop, I am positive they will take the time to show what to use and how to rig it.

Fishing isn't an automatic thing. You won't always have the right formula and the fish just might not be in the area. If it was that easy it would be called "Fished" not fishing! With so much cleared area on the Niagara/Erie shore there are lots of spots, please respect property owners and don't go on the docks. When you do achieve success write it down or remember (I'm old so I can't remember diddly) what you used, time, date, where and the type of fish you caught. You will start seeing a pattern and can use it for you next outting or for the next year. It will help you alot, and then we will be hitting you up for spots!

PM me if you have any other questions and good luck. Happy Bass Opener!

B) That was a great lesson, on fishing, in general........

sorry! ive been busy lately!

Hey never mind bud that seat has been filled. You missed a ten fish hour on the Lake but this week the wife and kids are going with me instead.

Archived