First Shotgun

davincan

Okay, so after a long wait I finally received my PAL in the mail and I can now purchase my first shotgun. I have asked around a little and done a bit of research while I was waiting and I wanted to know what those of you with some experience think of where I stand:

Usage:

For the first while I will limit the use of my shotgun to learning & practice. I haven't shot one in roughly 20 years and since it is not quite like riding a bike; I recon I will need to be taught from scratch to use the thing properly. So I'll be taking some lessons at the range and then practice, practice, practice.

Eventually I will most likely try hunting fowl. :th_fudd:

The one I think I want:

I seem to be set on the Remmington 870 Wingmaster.

Unanswered questions:

Not sure whether I should by new or used? (Pros and cons?)

2 3/4" or 3" ?

'must have' barrel and choke option?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Wingmaster new or used doesn't really matter, they're great shotguns built to last. 3" without a doubt if you're planning on using it for ducks or deer. Interchangeable choke if its going to be all rounder particularly for turkey as you'll need a full to extra full choke, for the most part modified will do well if it patterns good.

Thank you both! 3" it is and choke options noted. I would love to find a deal on a used one but I am not sure I have the patience to wait...I am anxious to buy so I might just have to go out an find a new one. Any suggestions on where to find the best deal? Anyone been to the Frontier Gun & Sport in Fonthill?

I find him to be rather pricey, however Cabelas.ca (bigbox I know) has a huge selection of shotguns otherwise the store at Silverdale Gun Club might be able to help out or Erie Tracker in Port Colborne, there are a lot of options. Keep in mind there is the 870 Wingmaster and 870 Express, the Express generally having less emphasis on fit and finish but still a real workhorse and about half the price of a Wingmaster. The way I look at it if you're worried about marking it up or damaging a nice wood stock I would go for express or replace the wingmasters with a synthetic.

First gun or not, the 870 is an excellent all around gun to have. That or a mossberg 590 are very comparable, but I feel the 870 comes out on top. There is a very justified reason why they're so widely used in military, swat, special ops, etc around teh world.

Chamber size: 3" no doubt. With a 2 3/4" you will limit yourself to only that size of shell. With a 3" you have the option of firing 2 3/4" for the range or step up to a 3" shell for the field. You will also give yourself a much larger selection of loads that can be used in the gun. Every gun has it's own best load/choke combination to get a consistent pattern.

Another place try for pricing is fishing world in hamilton. I have a wingmaster and an express, both of which are great. The express is a 12g which I bought new, and the wingmaster a 1967 .410" hierloom from my grandfather when he passed away. If you're mostly thinking about using it for the range and fowl, I would suggest an express as well. You'll spend more time concentrating on the target then worrying if your gun's ok. lol. Believe me. And like flywire said they're about half the price. Of course, if your thinking wingmaster just because of it's looks and feel then I totally understand why.

What I would say is go somewhere that has both (whether you'd buy it from there or not) and look at them side by side and shoulder them to get a feel. The extra wieght of a wingmaster really does make a difference after a day of shooting for fatigue, but the lighter express will emphasize the effects of recoil. Decide from there which is better suited to what you expect from it.

Whatever your choice is, it's a good one.

Anyone been to the Frontier Gun & Sport in Fonthill?

Frank at Frontier is primarily a gunsmith, so he doesn't keep much of an inventory of new guns. But he can order you anything you want. Compare prices, but even if Frank is slightly more expensive, I'd go with him. When Frank sells you a gun, he stands behind it and takes care of you. His Saturday hours are 9-noon and I think he's open Thurs & Fri.

Lanz shooting supplies in st.anns , shooting range is right there silverdale, so you can test the guns out...they always have good deals, and great starter gun specials. I think last year they had one of the mossberg 12 guages with synthetic stock in a camo pattern, good for anything an came with a deer barrel aswell. Was only 400 and change

That's all I have minus the turkey barrel. It's not worth breaking into your house to steal! You can hunt anything with the right ammo and make sure you buy the 3 inch load minimum. Not even sure if they come in 2 3/4 only but for an extra 50 you can get the 3 1/2. Mine jams a bit with 3 inch shells so I wish I had bought the 3.5

Good first gun but if you have the dough go with the wingmaster. I've never heard a complaint yet

Archived