Lake Erie Sheephead

Chrisb

Was out off Sherkston today for Pickerel before the wind blew up. NO pickerel but the sheephead where biting good. Hooked about 8. Some had to be 6-7 pounds. Heard some Pickerel being caught on the radio, but don't know where they were.

Sheepies give a good fight and I find them fun to catch. Apparently thay can be eaten. Know any recipies?

My favorite is rolled in butter and sprinkled with salt.

First what you do is catch a sheep head in April

Take it home

Dig a hole

Place fish in hole

Backfill till 2 inches are left to fill

Place sweet corn seeds in hole

Wait till this time of year

Pick corn

BBQ or boil to taste

Roll in butter

sprinkle salt and enjoy!

Best way i know of to cook sheep head. :P:blush:

Place a sheep head on a shingle. Put the shingle on the roof for two hot days. Take it down throw away the sheep head and eat the shingle.

I dont eat any fish at all but i believe that the food is good or bad will be up to the chef....if he knows what he's doing...

Agreed! I have eaten sheephead. Like many fish early capture is the trick. Get them while the water is still cold in spring. I soaked them in salt then rinsed and dried them. They make a great fish jerky too.

In the spring the coarse fish are better eating as well as catfish & suckers . Water quality & temperature means a lot for eating fish in the summer as well , and the size (age) of the fish . I remember a nice 6 lb. walleye ,caught at a small lake (Pike L.) which floods over in the lower French near Hartley Bay , that tasted like doodoo (can't say $hit here) ........B) . Many of the larger fish like the salmon & trout we catch locally are better tasting if cooked in a smoker .

Was out off Sherkston today for Pickerel before the wind blew up. NO pickerel but the sheephead where biting good. Hooked about 8. Some had to be 6-7 pounds. Heard some Pickerel being caught on the radio, but don't know where they were.

If you are catching sheephead pick up your trolling speed for walleye

Coarse fish are generally vary strong flavoured and many people, including myself, don't enjoy it. I'm sure there are ways to prepare it that makes it more palatable, but I'd rather just catch fish I enjoy eating :D.

If you are catching sheephead pick up your trolling speed for walleye

I tired that. Normally I troll at 1.8-2.0 mph on GPS. I sped up to 2.5 and guess what. I caught bigger sheephead. One was so huge it was actually pulling line. I thought for minute I had hooked bottom.

I have eaten sheephead once I soaked it in milk for a few hours and coated it in flour, salt and pepper and pan fried it, wasn't overly bad but not the best thing I have eaten, I would still eat again sometime if I get another small one.

Sheepies give a good fight and I find them fun to catch. Apparently thay can be eaten. Know any recipies?

My favorite is rolled in butter and sprinkled with salt.

First what you do is catch a sheep head in April

Take it home

Dig a hole

Place fish in hole

Backfill till 2 inches are left to fill

Place sweet corn seeds in hole

Wait till this time of year

Pick corn

BBQ or boil to taste

Roll in butter

sprinkle salt and enjoy!

Best way i know of to cook sheep head. :P:blush:

LMAO :roflblack:

Well Italo says sheepshead are good and they had some on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives the other day so I guess they're okay eatin'. Same with carp too I hear. I eat eels so I have no reason not to try the above.

A lot of people in the US eat them. It is a huge industry in the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. Apparently you have to toss them on ice asap to preserve the flavour and texture.

what your saying here about the carp is interesting...... i often hear, "do you eat them" ( I am a carp angler at heart) and I simply say no, I let them live another day so I can catch them again lol - I also often hear, "well they are garbage fish, and chit eaters" which makes me think.......... catfish are bottom feeders, and often eat the dead, crab and lobsters feed off bottom and are considered a delicacy..... so the carp cant be that bad, maybe not hamilton harbour carp, but a clean 5 pounder would be fair game... or am I wrong?

I agree. I love lobster and crab and eat catfish too and like it. There's a stigma with eels too but they taste okay to me. I don't think they taste like scallop like I hear but not bad. Some people like bowfin too but I think the looks of some fish is what turns them off.

Drums taste better than brown trout ......unless you know how to prepare them . Eels , and many other fish are great if they are smoked .

BTW.......My wife told me about a guy who is an ex.quarterback named Matt Dunigan who appears on the Food Network . He uses the BBQ for his shows & he has a great method to use the gas BBQ as a smoker . The show my wife saw was smoking pork , but he does fish & birds as well . Here is the set up to use your BBQ for a smoker . I just copied & pasted that part of the recipe & you can find more info by looking into the Food Network .......

To Assemble

1. In a bowl combine chilli powder, salt, cumin, garlic powder and pepper
  2. Rub the mixture vigorously into the turkey breast.
  3. Place the turkey into a sealable plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
  4. Prepare barbeque for indirect smoking. Remove the grate from one burner to the far side of the grill and turn this burner on. Leave 2 the remaining burners off.
  5. Place a drip pan under the grates that have no heat.
  6. • Prepare a total of three smoke pouches. Lay out a large sheet of tin foil. Place 2 cups of the drained, well soaked wood chips and one cup of the dry chips at the center of the foil. Wrap the foil around the wood chips to make a sealed pouch slightly smaller than your barbeque burner. Using the tines of a fork poke holes into both sides of the package through which the smoke will escape.
  7. Place the smoke pouch directly over the flame. Close the lid of the barbeque and adjust heat to 220°F/110°C. Wait for smoke.
  8. Place turkey breast on the grill over the barbeque drip pan where there is no direct heat. Close lid and smoke for 1.5 hours changing the pouch every thirty minutes. When the meat is done it should read 160°F when inserted in the thickest part of the breast.
  9. Remove from grill. Cover with foil loosely and rest meat for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
  10. Wrap the tortillas in foil and place on the warming rack of the barbeque to heat for 2 minutes or until warm.
  11. Slice the meat against the grain into thin strips. Squish some fresh lime juice overtop of the sliced meat.
  12. Serve smoked turkey on warm fajita skins with guacamole and sliced peppers.

I was thinking about this the other night. When I'm down south one of the fish we normally target is redfish which is more correctly a red drum. It is a highly prized game fish and very good eating. It looks fairly similar to the sheephead/freshwater drum, aside from the coloring. I'm going to have to catch one now and try it. From what I have read you have to put it on ice immediately or the flesh goes bad. It also shouldn't be over cooked or it turns into a two dollar steak.

Drums taste better than brown trout ......unless you know how to prepare them . Eels , and many other fish are great if they are smoked .

BTW.......My wife told me about a guy who is an ex.quarterback named Matt Dunigan who appears on the Food Network . He uses the BBQ for his shows & he has a great method to use the gas BBQ as a smoker . The show my wife saw was smoking pork , but he does fish & birds as well . Here is the set up to use your BBQ for a smoker . I just copied & pasted that part of the recipe & you can find more info by looking into the Food Network .......

To Assemble

1. In a bowl combine chilli powder, salt, cumin, garlic powder and pepper
  2. Rub the mixture vigorously into the turkey breast.
  3. Place the turkey into a sealable plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
  4. Prepare barbeque for indirect smoking. Remove the grate from one burner to the far side of the grill and turn this burner on. Leave 2 the remaining burners off.
  5. Place a drip pan under the grates that have no heat.
  6. • Prepare a total of three smoke pouches. Lay out a large sheet of tin foil. Place 2 cups of the drained, well soaked wood chips and one cup of the dry chips at the center of the foil. Wrap the foil around the wood chips to make a sealed pouch slightly smaller than your barbeque burner. Using the tines of a fork poke holes into both sides of the package through which the smoke will escape.
  7. Place the smoke pouch directly over the flame. Close the lid of the barbeque and adjust heat to 220°F/110°C. Wait for smoke.
  8. Place turkey breast on the grill over the barbeque drip pan where there is no direct heat. Close lid and smoke for 1.5 hours changing the pouch every thirty minutes. When the meat is done it should read 160°F when inserted in the thickest part of the breast.
  9. Remove from grill. Cover with foil loosely and rest meat for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
  10. Wrap the tortillas in foil and place on the warming rack of the barbeque to heat for 2 minutes or until warm.
  11. Slice the meat against the grain into thin strips. Squish some fresh lime juice overtop of the sliced meat.
  12. Serve smoked turkey on warm fajita skins with guacamole and sliced peppers.

Thank you for the instructions, i have always wondered if that was possible, now I see it can be done.

I have eaten sheephead once I soaked it in milk for a few hours and coated it in flour, salt and pepper and pan fried it, wasn't overly bad but not the best thing I have eaten, I would still eat again sometime if I get another small one.

Of course you would joey :roflblack: I was actually thinking of trying it myself, boiled, like an immatation shrimp kinda thingy.i hear that if you make strips of the fish fillet and put them in boiling water, they curl up like shrimp!

Archived