Welland River

davincan

Been having a ball fishing the Welland river with my boys a couple of times over the last few days. Lots of small channel cats, perch, silver bass, bullheads and a couple of nice surprises. Here is one of them:

36784914.jpg

1000557u.jpg

Don't fret about how my boy is holding him...it came home with us for dinner! It was a small miracle that we caught this guy and more of a blessing that we got him in. You see, we were fishing with cut bait (targeting Channel cats) and this guy took the cut bait off the bottom and swallowed it. How the heck his teeth didn't cut the line is beyond me! Was also cool to watch a snapping turtle try to steal him off our stringer!

Then there was this guy...much smaller than the one that got away! (we lost a friggin monster!)

1000525y.jpg

Loving the Welland! Lots of new entries for my Fishing Diary.

The big smiles on the boy's faces makes the trip most rewarding . Sixty years later , I still have fond memories of my early days fishing the creeks and shores of L.Ontario . Great photos ......good eats .......and thanks for posting !

That's a big pike. I saw one like that size swimming at the top of the River near dark. Kids are catching pike and walleye from the shore all the time.

Cut bait works well for pike. Saw two people using pike strips (non edible portion), catching huge pike, like 34 or 35" in a river.

That's a big pike. I saw one like that size swimming at the top of the River near dark. Kids are catching pike and walleye from the shore all the time.

Cut bait works well for pike. Saw two people using pike strips (non edible portion), catching huge pike, like 34 or 35" in a river.

Good to hear...because I kept quite a bit of the off cuts when I cleaned that pike last night so that I could use them for cut bait. I am thinking I should move to a wire leader but i'm afraid the cats won't bite if I do that?? We'll see what happens this weekend! :Gonefishing:

Nice Pike. I still haven't managed to get one from the Welland. Or the rec for that matter. Lot's of smallies, cats, sheeps, pan fish. Got a walleye a couple years ago. Never a pike. Kids look thrilled!

Went back to the same spot last evening and had a blast! 2 largemouth (1 nice keeper), 5 drums, 3 channels cats (2 were over 5 lbs), 2 pumkinseeds, and a bullhead. Best thing about this river is that you never know what the heck you will reel in next. I am still after the elusive Welland River Walleye but I have a feeling it is just a matter of time. Be spending some more time there this weekend.

Nice Pike. I still haven't managed to get one from the Welland. Or the rec for that matter. Lot's of smallies, cats, sheeps, pan fish. Got a walleye a couple years ago. Never a pike. Kids look thrilled!

If you haven't got a pike from the rec you haven't fished for pike there enough. Try by the dragon boats area morning and evening with a chub on a slip float. Try right off their boat ramp with big white or black twisters

Went back to the same spot last evening and had a blast! 2 largemouth (1 nice keeper), 5 drums, 3 channels cats (2 were over 5 lbs), 2 pumkinseeds, and a bullhead. Best thing about this river is that you never know what the heck you will reel in next. I am still after the elusive Welland River Walleye but I have a feeling it is just a matter of time. Be spending some more time there this weekend.

I helped stock them for a few years and I've never caught one either but was with a guy high noon in a dingy when he caught a beauty. I recommend a soft rubber net and C&R if you target them. They are still a delicate species i there due to pollution and over harvest. If I were to catch one I wouldn't post pictures with backgrounds here. Simply for conservation purposes.

where are some good spots to go with some easy access. I am looking to take my wife somewhere easy and where we might get some fish

Take your wife to Port D or C. That way when she gets bored or gets dirty hands you can rush her to the closest restaurant for where you have flowers waiting and have dinner. She'll want to go fishing all the time :roflblack::Gonefishing:

Chilli, you're right. I've never really targeted pike in the rec. I just figured I'd have hooked into one by now fishing for smallies near dusk. There are some beauties in there. Thanks for the tip though I'll give it a try.

Took my buddy and his boys to my favorite spot yesterday and had a strange day. All we landed were a few drums on dew worms. Odd thing was that we had 9 fish run with our cut bait but every single one of them spat out the hook! :wall: All the kids got were a few good battles with what had to be some very sizable Channel Cats...better than nothing but we'll be heading back soon for a little payback! I need to land at least one monster cat before I turn my wife into a salmon/trout widow for the next few weeks!

Archived