Steelhead Fishing

bassfishing101

Hi to everyone i was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips for steelhead fishing or any kind of trout in some streams or rivers i live in the niagara region and am not scared to drive to catch these fishing, im new to trout fishing but would love to get into it any tips will be appericated.

Thanks Travis,

Try upper river across the road from FishIn Niagara or at the train bridge in a week or so. Stop in and talk to Dennis at Fishin niagara and he will set you up.

That's the Upper Niagara and Denis is the username of the sponsor that owns a tackle shop called fishin niagara :Gonefishing:

He has helped me immensely

Here's my rules for trout in rivers and streams in the fall around these parts... and it does me pretty well.

early season ( now through mid oct for most of southern ontario ), where you fish with current... during the day time fish the slower water , slack water behind or just ahead of the current. the backs of pools etc...

Small worms , trout roe etc.. work good.. live minnows also take a number. I'm sure streamers etc are also top notch in some waters... , clear water go real small... dirty water , bigger baits ( from single egg small, to quarter sized roe sacs big )

Once your into mid Oct , usually rains have come and water levels are higher.. water moves quicker... Find those edies and back currents.. find your natural blockages and dams / fallen logs etc..

Fast drifts with a float or bottom bouncing a gulp trout worm ( pink my fav. ) or roe... streamers and artificial egg presentations etc...

stay light on the line. Better to lose a fish after a fight than not have the fight at all.

hope this helps.

It doesn't get much easier than this :Gonefishing:

If you take a med/hvy 8-10 foot rod and a decent spinning reel and throw a spoon i'll guarantee you catch a fish. Start at the old fort and walk the breakwall all the way to southsides and I promise you'll catch something. Right now you could catch pink salmon, coho salmon, doubt it but a chinook salmon or maybe you like trout. How about a fresh chrome steelie or a brown? I know that you'll get a few smallmouth maybe a sheephead and almost for sure a muskie. The breakwall is very easy access and very safe you may need a long handle net in most areas but you can access water from various staircases along the way. Here's a challenge fish the whole thing from start to finish and don't catch a fish and i'll give you a free lure, must prove with pictures that you fished the whole stretch or catch a fish and post a picture on fishinniagara FaceBook page and win a free casting spoon (only win once but post as much as you like) and you must fish the whole stretch in one day and I have to see that conditions where favorable. If the river is mud then obviously those aren't favorable conditions.

:Gonefishing:

If you take a med/hvy 8-10 foot rod and a decent spinning reel and throw a spoon i'll guarantee you catch a fish. Start at the old fort and walk the breakwall all the way to southsides and I promise you'll catch something. Right now you could catch pink salmon, coho salmon, doubt it but a chinook salmon or maybe you like trout. How about a fresh chrome steelie or a brown? I know that you'll get a few smallmouth maybe a sheephead and almost for sure a muskie. The breakwall is very easy access and very safe you may need a long handle net in most areas but you can access water from various staircases along the way. Here's a challenge fish the whole thing from start to finish and don't catch a fish and i'll give you a free lure, must prove with pictures that you fished the whole stretch or catch a fish and post a picture on fishinniagara FaceBook page and win a free casting spoon (only win once but post as much as you like) and you must fish the whole stretch in one day and I have to see that conditions where favorable. If the river is mud then obviously those aren't favorable conditions.

Denis thanks for the tips will be sure to try it just have a question when u say old fort do u mean fort george or what?

Thanks Travis

You sir, are a stand up angler.. I will be joining your FB page asap. :)

Thanks for the tips. That's worth a trip out to Fort Erie. How long will they be along the breakwall.

Archived