Crayfish Trap

rik

I made a couple Crayfish traps tonight out of two 2L pop bottles. I set them out and now i wait for the morning to see what i get. Just wondering what the regs say about catching them. I know you can no longer buy them. I dont have a new copy of the regs or i would check myself.

you can only use em from the water you catch em from and your only allowed 36 I think

The Regs:

It is illegal to bring any crayfish, salamanders, live fish or leeches into Ontario for use as bait.

It is illegal to release any live bait or dump the contents of a bait bucket, including the water, into any waters or within 30 m of any waters (see page 13).

Crayfish

Must be used in same water body where caught. May not be transported overland. May be captured using the methods outlined for baitfish above.

*SMILES*

Sounds like your good to go!

Crayfish are the SINGLE MOST EATEN BAIT by SMALL MOUTH BASS (in waters that hold them of course)

They are SIMPLY FANTASTIC!

Best fished in Rocky areas (thats were the crayfish are anyway).

I just put the Hook through the Tail, keep my sinker about 2 feet up.

The smaller and Medium size ones work best.

Course the BIGGER the CRAYFISH, only the Bigger the BASS will be able to hit them! ...lol

You can also Rig like a drop shot.

If you ever keep a small mouth bass, just open their stomach (Which you SHOULD BE DOING for a kept fish) and take a look.

I'll bet you a MILLION DOLLARS, there are at least several crayfish in there.

Good Luck! and kudo's on your use of LOCAL KILLER Bait!

Maximum of 36, must be used in the water they are trapped in and your trap must be marked with your name and address. Link to the reg page below.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165361.html

I bought a bunch of soft baits from a local tackle shop yesterday & you can get different size cray fish .....very soft & realistic ....very east to catch :D

SAM_1386.JPG

Seriously!!! Is this what fishing has come too?? This is rediculous!! First they ask us to pay to fish every year, then they tell us what we can use, now you have a limit to what you can catch for bait!!! WTF is going on??? Who in the hell, do the so called GOVERNMENT think they are? Live bait has been around, and used for hundreds of years! What is fishing coming to?? Next thing we can only go fishing on certain days, or if the sun is out or not! This is getting out of hand!!!! Hell are they going to may make it a Male or female thing next. This us off the wall!! Is this the government, or are the conservations getting out of hand lately???? Please do tell... Next thing we know your going to need a FRL ( fishing rod license ) just to buy a fishing rod!!!! Sorry for the rant, but what is this world coming to???

the reason there is a limit for certain baits is because there isnt an unlimited supply. The main reason crayfish are not sold in tackle shops anymore is because their numbers dropped so drastically and needed time to recover and get their numbers back up! i personally and 100% for limits on bait, no offence everyone has their opinion, and this is mine.

the reason there is a limit for certain baits is because there isnt an unlimited supply. The main reason crayfish are not sold in tackle shops anymore is because their numbers dropped so drastically and needed time to recover and get their numbers back up! i personally and 100% for limits on bait, no offence everyone has their opinion, and this is mine.

Agreed. Unfortunately all the 'rules' are made as a reaction to something that has gone wrong. We the people don't do an effective job of governing ourselves, so it has to be done for us. Before limits were in place we did a bang up job of raping and pillaging the ecosystem. My father was one who in the late forties and early fifties made sure that we wouldn't see a pheasant in this area for decades. Take a look at my recent post where some jackass has been catching catfish and leaving them to rot, this type of action just depletes the resource and makes it bad for everyone else.

Cheers,

Meatface

pheasants were never a native species, totally introduced.

now this rusty crayfish, how would one know if they had found one?

i had a friend give me a couple crayfish he caught with his kids and he said he saw hundreds. i understand the whole no transporting, but what if the waterway is large and you arent in a boat?

THey are normally larger and have a rusty spot on each side of them. If the waterway is large you fish with them where you caught them according to the regulations. I think the ministry has cards with invasive species on them.

Google Images......"Rusty Crayfish"

Some have more predominant colours than others , look closely at these three spots on the crayfish.......

rusty%2520crayfish%2520I.D..jpg

I've always thought of trying crayfish from the lakes and rivers nearby, but I can never find any info on the consumption guidelines. Being bottom feeders, I would assume they'd be higher in toxins, but I could be wrong.

I would eat them, just keep them in fresh clean water for a few days before eating them. Then you add salt to the water about an hour before cooking them, and it causes them to "expel" (regurgitate and defecate), then you just rinse them well and boil baby boil lol..... (you can find great recipes for them online)

I've eaten them up north, and they are one of my favorite meals, just cooked and eaten with melted butter like lobster MMMMMMM....

Archived