12 Mile Scum

smerchly

While fishing the 12 Mile Creek today , I noticed a lot of light brown foamy scum floating on the surface . It was steady for the 3 hrs.I fished there . I believe it is paper mill waste from washing paper mulch, and I haven't seen it this heavy for a long time . Maybe they have problems at the mill and must let more waste go into the Gibson/Moodie area which feeds the 12 . I took some shots where I fished and lastly at the walking bridge at Glendale . Any know what this stuff is ?

SAM_1461.JPG

SAM_1467.JPG

SAM_1468.JPG

I dont know what it is Smerchly, but keep your eyes open the next while .... look for fish kills in the 12 ... years ago there was a scum that worked into the thames from one of the plants and it led to a massive fish kill there ... notice a few floaters would definitely be worth informing the MOE

Thanks Snags .......I remember years ago the "root beer river" had about 12" of brown foam which ran into the 12 Mile . What a rank smelling piece of waterway that was ! I have to wonder if our governments are ignoring environmental concerns to help compete with our communist trading "partners" .I have seen a few fish floating down the middle of the 12 .....could have died from various causes . One would need to stand on a bridge & net these floaters before being tested for contamination .

Due to the lack of flow from tributaries the creeks have become almost septic. The picture below is what most of the lower section of Frenchman's Creek looks like. There is one small spring well upstream flowing in but for the most part the rest of the upper portions are very dry. The ponds that remain hold much wildlife as they struggle to find water.

I imagine all the little back bays and small tribs to Gibson are in the same state. Rotting seaweed just sits there instead of being flushed away and creates a thick scum. Run the tea it creates through the turbines and your bound to get a good throff.

Even on good years there's always been (in my life time) a line of oily scum on the twelve and I believe much of it comes from the old leaky dump (Our forefathers were so wise :slap: ) but I would expect it to be much worse this year then in the past. As a teen we would watch this line of scum and wait for a break to jump off the bridge and would try to either swim to shore or climb up the rope before it began again and got all over us.

DSCF9628.JPG

The floating scum on the 12 Mile has a "chemical" odour , something like sulfur . I'm sure local aircraft can see where this stuff originates . I'm sure the rowing club at Port Dalhousie doesn't appreciate this smelly stuff .........

Archived