Ultra-Low Budget Homemade Downrigger

Has anyone ever tried this...

I have an old POS 2-piece rod that broke at the female end of the insertion point. With only half a rod... rather than throwing it out, I'm going to spool it up with high test metered-lead core, throw on a ball (I'm thinking 4 or 5lbs) and a release, then duct tape on some ABS pipe for a rod holder.

I figure this will get me a reliable 50-60 feet or so of depth without needing to let out the massive yardages needed for dipsy divers.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone ever tried this...

I have an old POS 2-piece rod that broke at the female end of the insertion point. With only half a rod... rather than throwing it out, I'm going to spool it up with high test metered-lead core, throw on a ball (I'm thinking 4 or 5lbs) and a release, then duct tape on some ABS pipe for a rod holder.

I figure this will get me a reliable 50-60 feet or so of depth without needing to let out the massive yardages needed for dipsy divers.

Any thoughts?

Im sure your rig will work....just make sure you dont get it hung up in shallow or you,ll rip it out of whatever you secure it to.

You can get a manual downrigger these days pretty cheap on ebay....but I hear what your saying...sure a straight wire line

tied to your boat with a ball would also work...lol. Has this thing got a line counter on it?? Always alow for sway back of the ball

as well....with a 4-5 lb it will swing back alot....it will work though for your purpose. Id get a cheap manual rigger if it was me...just saying.

i think you would noy be able to go more than 1/2 mph with that small of a ball.The ball will be way behind you and higher,there is also ALOT of pressure on any rod holder or down rigger mount.I hate to a downer but i don't think you will have an easy time with that setup but when have i ever been right,lol.good luck.

I've been out with a guy in a kayak that bodged up a DIY rig like yours and it worked fine down to 50-60'. He went one step further and sawed off the butt as well so it wasn't sticking inside the boat. And nowhere near the drag of dipsies, I'll hunt up some pics, it was pretty slick. Any rod holder that can hold a mag diver is going to be fine dragging a 6lb ball.

Can always try Torpedo Divers, but if you've already got a busted rod & junk reel might as well put them to work.

I've been out with a guy in a kayak that bodged up a DIY rig like yours and it worked fine down to 50-60'. He went one step further and sawed off the butt as well so it wasn't sticking inside the boat. And nowhere near the drag of dipsies, I'll hunt up some pics, it was pretty slick. Any rod holder that can hold a mag diver is going to be fine dragging a 6lb ball.

Can always try Torpedo Divers, but if you've already got a busted rod & junk reel might as well put them to work.

I think you pretty much nailed exactly what I'm trying to do. My boat isn't seaworthy enough to go anywhere on erie or ontario more than 50-60'.

And you're right, the drag on the dipsies is what I'm trying to avoid... the old Gr 12 trig/physics shows that a dipsy at 30deg requires double the stress on my inflatable boat's rod holder than a downrigger ball at 90deg (the total force on the dipsy is the downward force divided by sin(30)). More trig... if my ball is behind me at 60deg to the water my lure is still 87% of where it'd be if it were straight down. So instead of 50' I'm at 43' and change (50Xsin(60)).

And as well, I'm not breaking any new rods... i'm just using something that's already otherwise trashbound.

I think you pretty much nailed exactly what I'm trying to do. My boat isn't seaworthy enough to go anywhere on erie or ontario more than 50-60'.

Careful now, I was paddling my canoe around at 120fow yesterday looking for bows. I take statements like that as a challenge! :D

DSCF0197-CopyLarge.jpg

DSCF0195Large.jpg

The holder was just some angled aluminium cut to fit a flushmount rod holder. The "rigger rod" never moves from the holder, so why not save some space and keep things from getting hung up and saw the butt off as well.

It works alright, but he's not going to be fishing summer Kings 100' down.