Has Anyone Ever Harassed You On The Water?

meatface

It has recently been brought to my attention that on some waterways in Niagara fishermen are being harassed. What we need to know as fishermen is that if you are legally fishing, then no one has the right to interfere with you.

By legally fishing there are some criteria that you will need to meet:

• Have your fishing lisence on you, and be sure it is appropriate for the fish that you are targeting.

• Make sure you are not trespassing and that you are on a public waterway, or have proper permission to be on the waterway if it is private.

• Make sure you are following the regulations. (Having regulations and knowing them do you no good if you are not following them)

Provided you meet the criteria, then there is something you should know, and it is part of a little piece of legislation called the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997. In the act you will find the following section:

13. (1) A person shall not interfere with lawful hunting, trapping or fishing by,

(a) tampering with traps, nets, bait, firearms or any other thing used for hun ting, trapping or fishing;

(B) placing himself or herself in a position, for the purpose of interfering, that hinders or prevents hunting, trapping or fishing; or

© engaging in an activity, for the purpose of interfering, that disturbs or is likely to disturb wildlife or fish.

If you are doing your part and following the regulations and someone is harassing you, then you need to inform them that they are in contravention of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation act section 13(1). If they fail to respond and continue to harass you then you have the right to contact the Ministry of Natural Resources and ask for them to enforce this section of the act.

Hint: If you are like a large portion of the population you may have a smart phone, in which case you would most likely have the ability to record the conversation or even make video of it if you think that you may need proof of the interaction. Of course you should never show agression and put yourself or anyone else at risk. Another thing to consider is that even if someone else is breaking the law by harassing you, it doesn't give you the right to break any laws in retaliation. Always be respectflul. Be firm, inform them of the contravention and go about your business. Never let things escalate. If anyone threatens you, then they are also breaking criminal legislation which would mean that you need to report to the MNR and the police.With any sign of agression you should remove yourself from the situation and report it immediately!

Niagara Regional Police 905-688-4111

MNR Toll free: 1-800-667-1940 (Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm)

Below are some links with information:

Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_97f41_e.htm#BK15

MNR contact http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/ContactUs/index.html?CSB_ic-name=topMenu&CSB_ic-info=contact-us_Eng

Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters article http://www.ofah.org/news/Enforcement-key-to-addressing-harassment-of-anglers-and-hunters

In summary, I would suggest the we all have section 13(1) of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act printed out and stored with us in our tackle boxes. This way we can educate people when they harass us. But again, never let yourself be in a volatile situation, it's just not worth it. If you sense any sort of danger leave and report immediately!

I havnt really been harrased around here, every where I fish is usually okay wiothers, an keep to myself so no reason to bother me, but this year I was kayaking for the first time on pegion lake, fishing also so it was already a challenge, I had 2 boats towing tubers and wake boarders, each boat musta past me going full speed close enough for me to have to turn and face the wave or I woulda taken water, a lot of people are inconsoderate when you t on the water, they don't look out or show concern for the little guy

I havnt really been harrased around here, every where I fish is usually okay wiothers, an keep to myself so no reason to bother me, but this year I was kayaking for the first time on pegion lake, fishing also so it was already a challenge, I had 2 boats towing tubers and wake boarders, each boat musta past me going full speed close enough for me to have to turn and face the wave or I woulda taken water, a lot of people are inconsoderate when you t on the water, they don't look out or show concern for the little guy

If you have a camera , try to get the number on the boat , a video would be even better & call the cops . As we know ,some people think they own the lakes .........

Kevin Callan, an author, and paddler who is quite well known in the paddling community (he's also an awesome teacher/college professor) was harassed by a bunch of kids on Loon Call Lake in Kawartha Highlands PP a few years back. It was quite deliberate. Though he wasn't fishing that I recall none the less a couple kids thought it would be great fun to run circles around him in a canoe with his wife and kid(s?) in the canoe with him while at various times yelling "get the f uck off our lake".

Sounds like harassment to me.

Link to the thread: http://www.myccr.com...hp?f=16&t=33825

Link to the blog is no longer working...

Edit: Here it is...

http://explore-mag.com/1112/camping-2/the-happy-camper/warning-%E2%80%93-canoeists-aren%E2%80%99t-welcome-in-kawartha-highlands-loon-call-lake

Kevin Callan, an author, and paddler who is quite well known in the paddling community (he's also an awesome teacher/college professor) was harassed by a bunch of kids on Loon Call Lake in Kawartha Highlands PP a few years back. It was quite deliberate. Though he wasn't fishing that I recall none the less a couple kids thought it would be great fun to run circles around him in a canoe with his wife and kid(s?) in the canoe with him while at various times yelling "get the f uck off our lake".

Sounds like harassment to me.

Link to the thread: http://www.myccr.com...hp?f=16&t=33825

Link to the blog is no longer working...

Edit: Here it is...

http://explore-mag.c...-loon-call-lake

The same thing happened to me when the girlfriend and I were at Bon Echo two years ago. We were out in the middle of the lake in a canoe, and two teens came full speed in their parents' new toy, passing only fifteen feet away in an attempt to tip us with their wake. They then circled us at speed, sending wake from every direction, laughing the entire time. After a couple minutes, they sped off and did the same to a sailboat in the distance. Some peoples' ignorance and complete lack of respect for their fellow man is uncanny.

I was only ever harassed one time as a 11yr old....used to live on Stavebank in Mississauga and fished the credit every day. One day this guy probably at time 18 or so was bugging the crap out of me....I tried to keep minding my own buisness but he continued harassing me. No problem, I quietly left under the train bridge headed up to the house and mentioned it to my dad. We went back with my dad beside me this time....I pointed him out and he kept mouthing off. Dad walked over, grabbed him by the seat of his pants and heaved him into the muddy bullrushes with all that black smelly mud.....it was so funny the he was caked in frog mud. We got back home, and my stomach was sore from laughing so hard..... Im not saying that it was the right thing to do...but at the time it warranted it. If your being harassed...your better off just to leave, not worth it. I have seen some pretty drunk and drugged idiots out there.....and they think nothing of causing problems. Pack up and report them is the best bet.

Hey Dave C, I wish I could have been there to see that go down!!! Haaa!!! I bet that kid will never forget that day for the rest of his life.

On a two week solo trip just after ice out in Algonquin Park I had some punks come onto my campsite while I was out fishing. I saw them from a far and crept up on them. I was within a few feet and they didn't know I was there till I yelled at them. They jumped into their canoe and took off as fast as they could. After a while I notice my sunglasses had been stolen. I had some very evil thoughts of revenge running through my head. To cap it off,whenever I caught a fish all I could hear from across the lake was F*** OFF!!!! This story keeps going... My question is, why do the great outdoors bring out the worst in some of us?

Hi just on Sat was taking my boat in to Sugar Loaf between the mill and the wall and a couple of idiots in large boats decided to use that narrow no wake zone as a drag strip close as I ever came to flipping my boat they laughed thought it was funny scared the crap out of my wife it will be awhile before I get her back out

Was talking to a fellow the other day who was being harrassed by a few young punks in Mom and Dad's new toy, they circled him trying to use their wake to tip or at least inconvience this guy (he was fishing). on the 3 rd pass he casts out with braided line into their path which gets hooked in their motor. He lets them take all the line and use his pocket knife to cut it off before it get to the reel. After fishing on his way back he sees them paddling to their dock. Hate to say it but I would laugh all the way back to the launch.

Now if that's not bad enough try fishing the Owen Sound Salmon spectacular with other supposed sportsmen, these people will cut you off when your on a trolling path, come across you back end and cut off you gear, not give you room to play a fish or even get closer to see if your fish will help them catch 1(common sense out the window).

Found a way around that after losing a really big one ( 2 person version, 1 drives the boat other fights the fish) use the boat to block people from getting close to you and the fish.

You can pick out these people easily they are the ones that come towards you when other's give you room and won't take being flagged off.

I know it seems bad to do and I hate doing it, same as putting the boat in neutral right in the middle of someone's path that will cross where your fish is, but sometime it has to be done. Just so we don't get out of joint on this, if I see you fighting a fish I change course or give you as much room as i can, if I'm able (due to boat traffic and fish) I try to move away from everyone to finish the fight.

Sure for some it may be their 1st Derby (or 1st boat) No Problem but always put yourself in that person' shoe's. Had to give my fishing partner a tongue lashing on this (his 1st Derby) the writing was on the wall of what was happening so I gave him an ear full he says well you said to keep the line, yes I did but considering the guy beside us was being boxed in and we were the only ones with room to move YOU NEVER BOX A PERSON IN. The 1 and only time it happened through the 10 days.

not as funny as throwing them in muddy bullrushes though. That was a good one hats off to your Dad for that.

I used to say ......Drivers in cars give you the finger and the same guy will wave to you in a boat ! Times have changed , people are getting rude on both land and water . I seek spots with no others near me , land or water , if possible . I would not hesitate to let a boat spool me if they came too close while I was at anchor . I hear braid is the best to screw up their seals .

It is very difficult to get the MNR involved what with all the cutbacks in the conservation officers. However the OPP has jurisdiction in this area and whether they have a boat on the water or not they could lay charges, especially if you have a camera and can take some video. I personally always slow down or detour when I see someone trolling or anchored. Of course, anyone in a kayak or canoe gets the utmost consideration. Years ago it was a big problem on Rice Lake with speedboats and those #^%$^#& jet skis. One solution was to keep a couple of one ounce sinkers in your tackle box. If they ignored your protests, one could bounce one of those babies off their windshield (just to get their attention so they could hear you). Unfortunately a lot of people - especially in the big criusers - just dont realize the wake they generate.

I once saw something on lake simcoe that would have made a great youtube video. Two guys were in a ratty old K car on the ice off Jacksons point, continuously doing donuts and burnouts around a group of huts. After about a dozen donuts around the huts, the K car made a squeal and stopped. The driver got a punch in the nose from an older guy, the passenger jogged back to shore with a bunch of ice fishermen yelling nice things at him, and the car stayed on the ice.

Ive only been to the point where I was seeing red upset over people coming to close to me ... weather I was in a boat, canoe or slalom skiing....

I once had a boat pulling a tube come so close to me after I fell I attempted to remove my pfd and head for the bottom of the lake ... later on that evening I noticed them sitting watching the sunset out on the lake ( during a rather cold August evening ) ... after 4 passes by with the boat ( me skiing behind) I had thoroughly soaked everyone in the boat and "ruined the speakers" according to the driver

Another time I was driving through the magnetawan river in a no wake zone ... in our checkmate ( 16 ft closed bow boat that sits 2-8inchs above the water and does 70mph +) I was passed by a cuddy cabin boat with downriggers plowing through... he through water over my bow and into my cockpit ... the next day I saw the guy in town and preceded to make fun of his riggers ( our lake tops out around 60ft) later that night I noticed he was camping on the crown land across from our place .... paddle over in the middle of the night ... untie his boat ... give it a little push ... and wake up early to listen to there displeasure

Then again I'm a very confrontational guy ...

Ive only been to the point where I was seeing red upset over people coming to close to me ... weather I was in a boat, canoe or slalom skiing....

I once had a boat pulling a tube come so close to me after I fell I attempted to remove my pfd and head for the bottom of the lake ... later on that evening I noticed them sitting watching the sunset out on the lake ( during a rather cold August evening ) ... after 4 passes by with the boat ( me skiing behind) I had thoroughly soaked everyone in the boat and "ruined the speakers" according to the driver

Another time I was driving through the magnetawan river in a no wake zone ... in our checkmate ( 16 ft closed bow boat that sits 2-8inchs above the water and does 70mph +) I was passed by a cuddy cabin boat with downriggers plowing through... he through water over my bow and into my cockpit ... the next day I saw the guy in town and preceded to make fun of his riggers ( our lake tops out around 60ft) later that night I noticed he was camping on the crown land across from our place .... paddle over in the middle of the night ... untie his boat ... give it a little push ... and wake up early to listen to there displeasure

Then again I'm a very confrontational guy ...

I like your style man:)

The same thing happened to me when the girlfriend and I were at Bon Echo two years ago. We were out in the middle of the lake in a canoe, and two teens came full speed in their parents' new toy, passing only fifteen feet away in an attempt to tip us with their wake. They then circled us at speed, sending wake from every direction, laughing the entire time. After a couple minutes, they sped off and did the same to a sailboat in the distance. Some peoples' ignorance and complete lack of respect for their fellow man is uncanny.

At times, the the drain plug can come loose on a docked boat, or a trailered boat can be subject to tire failure. So I've heard.

The drain plug is crossing the line in my book... that creates reel damage...

So does killing someone by swamping their small craft and drowning them by being a on but the water...

I have seen my fair share of nonsense on the water. Watched a boat full of idiots pulling a tuber take passes too close to a couple in a little fibreglass boat on Lake eugenia. Driver passed to close and the tube and passenger slammed into the smaal boat and tip it. . Minor injuries, a sunken boat and charges for DUI and wreckless endangerment ensued. Once while playing Ice Hockey on a small lake in Haliburton an idiot decided to bring his dirtbike out onto the ice and circled us and the ice fishermen, doing wheelies. One of the furious parents nailed him with a puck. He bailed hard. Cursed until he got mobbed and the bike suffered some serious damage. Observed a boatload of idiots cruise around at full speed through a real shallow stumpy lake and after trying to repeatedly warn them they flipped us off, dissapeared around the bend and promptly crashed the boat into one of those big 100 yr old stumps. Wished I'd seen it but hearing it left more to the imagination. Nobody was hurt but charges were again laid. These people generaaly get what is coming to them. Sometimes not soon enough but Karma is a cold A*s B#*@h.

Some years back I was fishing a small, secluded brook in the north, where the rivers run clear and clean. I'd had a good morning, several nice brookies, and had just finished lunch, perched on a mossy boulder overlooking a beautiful pool.

Heard some splashing downstream, and noticed a rather comely lass wading up, long blonde hair, new vest, cheap hipwaders, fly rod in hand.

We had a nice chat, which ended with her sexually harassing me in a most improper manner.

Then I woke up.

Icehut........the topic is harassed , not caressed :crazy:

While canoeing on a small lake a girl once asked me if there was a way to drive to the other side . I asked her if she would like to come across in my canoe . She said , no thanks ......bummer !

Archived